Move over, Vigo, we've got a new bellwether!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Move over, Vigo, we've got a new bellwether!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Move over, Vigo, we've got a new bellwether!  (Read 680 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2020, 11:08:16 AM »

And it's not Valencia, NM, either. It's right in my backyard:

Let's all give Clallam county, WA, a hand!

It has now sided with the winner in every election since 1980. It went for Trump by just under 3% in 2016, and Biden is currently leading by 6%. While that margin might tighten a bit, it's pretty clear that this county is now the ultimate bellwether, and given the fact that it isn't too heavily urban, and has a mix of a few medium cities, as well as smaller towns, there's a good chance it remains a bellwether for the foreseeable future.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »

Bellwether counties are useful until they're useless
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »

Bellwether counties are useful until they're useless

Sure, but I do think Clallam is a decent bellwether for the current alignment, which of course will eventually change.
TopShelfGoal

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »

Beautiful area of the country as well... the Olympic National Park is right there.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:26:02 AM »

I guess it's time we all credited Stephenie Meyer for bringing national attention to this critical bellwether. /s
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »

Pinellas County, Florida?

2020: Voted for Biden by a hair; Biden wins the Election
2016: Voted for Trump by a hair; Trump wins the Election
2012: Voted for Obama; Obama wins the Election
2008: Voted for Obama; Obama wins the Election
2004: Voted for George W. Bush; Bush wins the Election
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 11:52:26 AM »

We love to see the Rust Belt losing even more national relevance.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »

I guess it's time we all credited Stephenie Meyer for bringing national attention to this critical bellwether. /s

About two years ago I spent a week driving through Olympic National Park, I thought Forks was just one of many small towns but it turns out it's the only small town in that area of the state.

And it's basically just a single, dirty main street with a handful of businesses serving the logging community, a school, and some Twilight tourism stuff.  I don't even know what the Twilight tourism stuff would do.  Drive to the high school and then what?  There's nothing there lol.

Anyway, we ate lunch at some mediocre Mexican restaurant that only took cash, and then drove about 30 miles south to visit the Hoh rainforest, before I realiized that we were running low and the nearest gas station was... 30 miles back north in Forks!  So we had to turn around and drive back to Forks to fill up.  By that time I had had more than enough of Forks, and really the whole area.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »

Clallam appears to have the longest streak of voting for the EC winner. Two others have streaks back to 1992: Clay County, MN and Blaine County, MT. A few more have streaks back to 1996: Kent County, DE; Hillsborough County, NH; Door County, WI.

Pinellas County, FL gets a shoutout for being right back to 1980 with the sole exception of 2000.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »

There are no state bellwethers for 2004-2020, correct?
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »

About two years ago I spent a week driving through Olympic National Park, I thought Forks was just one of many small towns but it turns out it's the only small town in that area of the state.

And it's basically just a single, dirty main street with a handful of businesses serving the logging community, a school, and some Twilight tourism stuff.  I don't even know what the Twilight tourism stuff would do.  Drive to the high school and then what?  There's nothing there lol.

Anyway, we ate lunch at some mediocre Mexican restaurant that only took cash, and then drove about 30 miles south to visit the Hoh rainforest, before I realiized that we were running low and the nearest gas station was... 30 miles back north in Forks!  So we had to turn around and drive back to Forks to fill up.  By that time I had had more than enough of Forks, and really the whole area.

Back in 2017, I visited the same area of Washington, and I agree entirely with your characterization of Forks. I also took video of driving past the "Native to Twilight" store (no, I wasn't the one driving). I think I also ate at that same restaurant.

The Hoh Rainforest is beautiful, though; I saw a ton of elk and deer there. I'd love to go back there again sometime.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies