Nate Silver: "**** you, we did a good job"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:46:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Nate Silver: "**** you, we did a good job"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Nate Silver: "**** you, we did a good job"  (Read 4402 times)
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »

He got 2018 (and dozens of other elections which I neglect to mention) wrong, in spite of -- not because -- the polls were right.

Take World Cup 2014 and UK 2017 to wit, for instance:

The 2014 FIFA World Cup is my favourite election, personally

Mine too, I'm so glad Brazil defeated Germany 7-1 in the semis and went on to lift the trophy!

As funny as Nate Silver's stint as a football pundit was: its incredibly silly to use it as an example when you are talking about him as a political pundit since they are very different skills.  I'll ask Gary Neville about his thoughts on the latest United game, not about who he thinks will win an election.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »

As much as I was against the Democrat landslide consensus, the polls were still correct in predicting the winner. That's an improvement from 2016.
S019ian Liberal
Beacon

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »

He got 2018 (and dozens of other elections which I neglect to mention) wrong, in spite of -- not because -- the polls were right.

Take World Cup 2014 and UK 2017 to wit, for instance:

The 2014 FIFA World Cup is my favourite election, personally

Mine too, I'm so glad Brazil defeated Germany 7-1 in the semis and went on to lift the trophy!

As funny as Nate Silver's stint as a football pundit was: its incredibly silly to use it as an example when you are talking about him as a political pundit since they are very different skills.  I'll ask Gary Neville about his thoughts on the latest United game, not about who he thinks will win an election.

Alas. It was NS himself who jumped into the fray and declared himself an expert. If Gary Neville were to proclaim today his psephological prowess I would react with the same degree of skepticism and disdain (although depending on the specific assertion may provide a limited shot a redemption) however, equally scoff-worthy imo.
S019ian Liberal
Beacon

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »

As much as I was against the Democrat landslide consensus, the polls were still correct in predicting the winner. That's an improvement from 2016.

off my 8-10 points as opposed to 1-3 for 2016 in you can't be serious or really just kidding me this time around! aha.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies