Bright spots for Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:59:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bright spots for Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bright spots for Democrats?  (Read 2574 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »

The Democratic base is now a very engaged base and with Trump no longer around his supporters and rural surge may not matter as much for the 2022 midterms.

Nah, they'll turn out. The Senate GOP will neuter any attempt at economic stimulus and Biden and the Democrats will get the blame for it.

STOP MOANING! Lets win the georgia run offs!!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »

The Democratic base is now a very engaged base and with Trump no longer around his supporters and rural surge may not matter as much for the 2022 midterms.

I remember how engaged Dems were in 2008 too, until they weren't two years later.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2020, 04:26:01 PM »

I remember how engaged Dems were in 2008 too, until they weren't two years later.
haha has anything in politics not been counterintuitive?

Democrats overperformed the dynamics in 2018 in a year in which no wave conditions exists and underperformed this year.
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 06:56:31 PM by Gren »

Most of these points are talking about margins in areas that were already blue; but when those don't translate downballot, like against Susan Collins, it means nothing. Those extra Biden voters in Maine clearly don't share the Democrats' goals.

To me a bright spot is where you actually win something or get something tangible. If the standard is moral victories, the Democrats' star is shining bright. Thirty points in California! But the reality of power and outcome is the bottom line.

Well, the post was aimed at analyzing electoral performance and political geography, and I think that many of the points that have been made are objectively accurate. I appreciate that you and others are making an analysis more in terms of political strategy, and that's fine, but that really wasn't the interest for me here.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »

I agree. Trump did to the Democratic base what Newt did to the GOP base.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2020, 06:32:39 PM »

Except our Dole appears to have won.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »

Well, Clinton wasn’t super unpopular at the time.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »

Well, Clinton wasn’t super unpopular at the time.

True
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »

Most of these points are talking about margins in areas that were already blue; but when those don't translate downballot, like against Susan Collins, it means nothing. Those extra Biden voters in Maine clearly don't share the Democrats' goals.

To me a bright spot is where you actually win something or get something tangible. If the standard is moral victories, the Democrats' star is shining bright. Thirty points in California! But the reality of power and outcome is the bottom line.

Collins Manchin'd herself clearly.

Also Arizona is a pretty big get, and Georgia is not out of range just yet. Warnock might be able to plow through to defeat Loeffler in the run-off.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 06:44:35 PM »

The Crt Packing plan that D's wanted is gonna get deferred to 2022 elections and that will the opportunity for Ds to net gain seats in the Senate, WI, PA, and NC and DC and PR statehood
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »

I'm really happy with what happened in Oregon and Washington. A lot of the areas that swung hard to Trump  (especially in coastal parts of Washington and northwest Oregon) either flipped back or came really close to doing so. Biden's really popular out here. I guess my own perceptions of the election were skewed by all the Biden enthusiasm I've seen here and assumed it would transfer to the rest of the country. Guess not.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 08:45:46 PM »

Wow this was peak Atlas doomerism.  Dems all upset over an election in which they won the WH and eventually took back the senate.  I guess the polls got peoples hopes up too high or something.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »

Wow this was peak Atlas doomerism.  Dems all upset over an election in which they won the WH and eventually took back the senate.  I guess the polls got peoples hopes up too high or something.

The doomerism was more about the future of the 2020s, which will likely end up being correct.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 11:43:53 PM »

The doomerism was more about the future of the 2020s, which will likely end up being correct.

Yeah not seeing that.  GOP slightly improved with low propensity hispanic voters.  Dems improved with highly educated, high propensity, suburban voters.  It's clear which is better for the 2020's.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2021, 07:03:00 AM »

Yeah not seeing that.  GOP slightly improved with low propensity hispanic voters.  Dems improved with highly educated, high propensity, suburban voters.  It's clear which is better for the 2020's.

Will those highly educated suburban voters stick with Dems without Trump in the White House?  Virginia will answer that this November.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2021, 07:29:40 AM »

Will those highly educated suburban voters stick with Dems without Trump in the White House?  Virginia will answer that this November.

Those "highly educated suburban voters" in VA were considerably more Democratic than other "highly educated suburban voters" in other (actually competitive or traditionally R) states even before Trump, so no, it won’t.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »

Will those highly educated suburban voters stick with Dems without Trump in the White House?  Virginia will answer that this November.

Those "highly educated suburban voters" in VA were considerably more Democratic than other "highly educated suburban voters" in other (actually competitive or traditionally R) states even before Trump, so no, it won’t.

Didn’t the voters that you are referring to vote for Biden but generally vote Republican downballot even in 2020 (except for maybe Mark Kelly and Abigail Spanberger)? 
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »

Didn’t the voters that you are referring to vote for Biden but generally vote Republican downballot even in 2020 (except for maybe Mark Kelly and Abigail Spanberger)? 

I mean those highly educated voters in VA voted quite Democratic down ballot for a while now. Even in 2014, Mark Warner apparently won Mclean, Virginia.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »

I mean those highly educated voters in VA voted quite Democratic down ballot for a while now. Even in 2014, Mark Warner apparently won Mclean, Virginia.

Yes Virginia ones have been (as MT Treasurer stated), but many highly educated voters in other places that voted for Biden did not vote Dem downballot in 2020. I’m thinking of places like NE-02, WOW in Wisconsin, Olmsted county (Rochester) Minnesota (costing Dems the state senate there), suburban Dallas and Houston (costing Dems the state House and a House seat there), suburban St Louis (costing Dems a House and State Senate seat there), suburban Pittsburgh (costing Dems a state House and Senate seat there).
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 09:25:07 PM »

You're talking to someone who has probably never set foot in Virginia, has no understanding of it's politics, and thinks Arlington is in Fairfax County.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:03 PM »

Will those highly educated suburban voters stick with Dems without Trump in the White House?  Virginia will answer that this November.

Yes.  MT Treasurer's incorrect predictions aside, educated voters don't tend to like a party that doesn't take vaccines seriously, thinks the world was created in 7 days, and wants to outlaw abortions.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 10:28:47 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 10:45:03 PM by MT Treasurer »

Yes Virginia ones have been (as MT Treasurer stated), but many highly educated voters in other places that voted for Biden did not vote Dem downballot in 2020. I’m thinking of places like NE-02, WOW in Wisconsin, Olmsted county (Rochester) Minnesota (costing Dems the state senate there), suburban Dallas and Houston (costing Dems the state House and a House seat there), suburban St Louis (costing Dems a House and State Senate seat there), suburban Pittsburgh (costing Dems a state House and Senate seat there).

Yes, I don’t disagree, but my point was that we can’t really extrapolate preferences/trends among suburban voters in those places from suburban trends in VA. VA is much closer to an Atlanta-type situation (although certainly not quite as extreme) where there’s not much split-ticket voting and the suburban areas are very reliably D up and down the ballot due to a large presence of government workers, an unusually large transient population, the closeness to the most liberal metro in the country, generational turnover (this is an especially important factor in the South), and a sizable non-white population. NoVA and Henrico County are not your average competitive-ish middle-class suburbs that are comparable to a place like Bucks County, PA or Omaha, NE. I’m not saying that they’re all reliable Democrats or that there won’t be any interesting shifts at all, but Democrats could hold up fairly well in metro VA and still lose substantial ground in other suburban areas in other states. It’s just not a bellwether state.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies