Should Democrats ditch Biden and Harris in 2024?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:55:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Should Democrats ditch Biden and Harris in 2024?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Should Democrats ditch Biden and Harris in 2024?  (Read 2090 times)
KYRockefeller
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

I can't believe the message some Dems get from this race is to swing even more to the left.  If Biden wasn't the nominee, I'm not sure the Dems would've been able to recapture the Rust Belt.  Just look at how other progressive Dems ran behind his numbers.  I definitely don't see Harris playing well there if she's the nominee in four years.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »

I can't believe the message some Dems get from this race is to swing even more to the left.  If Biden wasn't the nominee, I'm not sure the Dems would've been able to recapture the Rust Belt.  I definitely don't see Harris playing well there if she's the nominee in four years.

Harris is the reason it's so close to begin with. She has to go.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »

I can't believe the message some Dems get from this race is to swing even more to the left.  If Biden wasn't the nominee, I'm not sure the Dems would've been able to recapture the Rust Belt.  I definitely don't see Harris playing well there if she's the nominee in four years.

I wouldn't disagree.  I voted for Biden, but I would definitely NOT vote for Harris and I know a lot of other crossovers who wouldn't either.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »

It’s way too early for this. We don’t even know if Biden won the election, Trump still has a strong shot.

If Biden wins...it’s still too early. We simply don’t know what will happen in the next four years. I personally am now more optimistic than most Atlas Dems after tonight (what a change!)

I think there will be a ton of lashback against the establishment GOP from Trump and his supporters if he loses. They have been able to hold together only out of convenience, but now that isn’t there anymore.

Biden probably will not run for a second term anyways imo, I think he knows his limits. As for Harris...it depends on how the next four years go. If our economy rebounds and if Covid resolves, I think she may have a good incumbency shot.
Obviously if it looks more like an Obama second term, Harris should be shown the exit.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »

All that matters here is states. I frankly don't care if some isolated swing voters voted for Biden but not anyone left of him, if it doesn't swing a state it doesn't matter. With that in mind, which states would we not have won with a more leftist candidate that we even still stand a chance in? Maybe Georgia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania at best, and I don't really see that many convincing arguments that those shifts would be anything other than marginal. I do, however, see convincing arguments that a progressive might be performing better in Wisconsin, Michigan, Nevada, and perhaps even Texas or Arizona.
JG

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »

Based on what evidence? I'm very doubtful that she was a significant factor in the election, positive or negative.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »

I don't think Harris is necessarily a problem with this ticket.

I agree. In fact I think she will be the first female President. She has everything it takes, and in 4 years she will also have experience. Kamala portrays the diversity that our country is. People will come to like her and appreciate what she brings to the table.

Right now, just like with Trump, we didn't know what we were getting and that's how it is with Kamala. People need to get to know her, watch her, listen to her. Watch her work. No she is not the problem with the ticket, she is in fact the future of the Presidency. My opinion, of course.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2020, 03:34:42 PM »

I agree. In fact I think she will be the first female President. She has everything it takes, and in 4 years she will also have experience. Kamala portrays the diversity that our country is. People will come to like her and appreciate what she brings to the table.

Right now, just like with Trump, we didn't know what we were getting and that's how it is with Kamala. People need to get to know her, watch her, listen to her. Watch her work. No she is not the problem with the ticket, she is in fact the future of the Presidency. My opinion, of course.

4 years? You mean 4 months right?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »

Nah. She represents the future, and those laggers in those conservative red states need to be pulled into the future with her. Their lagging, scared-of-change conservative mindset is what has to go.

Harris represents everyone. Women of all colors, men of all colors, people from all walks of life. She is definitely the future wave, along with the young ones coming up who have a different vision of what politics should be like. We have a bright future ahead of us, indeed. My opinion, of course.

As with Obama, Biden will be the place holder for a country in turmoil, and when we get more settled down, Kamala will take us forward from there. She has to stay.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2020, 05:31:13 PM »

Y'all are nuts. Biden is likely to win, but we know why he didn't get the votes in certain areas. Pretend all you want. That's all I have to say on the matter.

--your resident anti-racist
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »

Y'all are nuts. Biden is likely to win, but we know why he didn't get the votes in certain areas. Pretend all you want. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Your explanation is Kamala Harris. Count me as skeptical.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2020, 05:35:02 PM »

I can't believe the message some Dems get from this race is to swing even more to the left.  If Biden wasn't the nominee, I'm not sure the Dems would've been able to recapture the Rust Belt.  Just look at how other progressive Dems ran behind his numbers.  I definitely don't see Harris playing well there if she's the nominee in four years.

Biden never really made a case for policy, so why should voters vote for Democrats downballot? The Democrats' message was: Trump is a uniquely bad person and we have to get him, and him personally, out. It sounds like voters heeded that message. They narrowly threw him out - but left the rest of the Party out in the cold.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »

-all of Hillary's negatives
-plus some (unfortunately)
-none of the positives

Yeah, Kamala is a problem.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2020, 05:53:13 PM »

-none of the positives

I'd disagree on the negatives, what data we have indicates she's viewed at least as favorably as Biden, and nobody votes on the VP anyway.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »

-none of the positives

I'd disagree on the negatives, what data we have indicates she's viewed at least as favorably as Biden, and nobody votes on the VP anyway.

I don't want to say why, but I do know why. Those numbers in RGV and NM aren't statistical noise.

If Biden doesn't win GA, Kamala is the worst VP pick in my life. She absolutely hurt the ticket, through no fault of her own.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »

-none of the positives

I don't want to say why, but I do know why. Those numbers in RGV and NM aren't statistical noise.

So you're telling me a bunch of rural Latinos turned out for the first time and voted Trump because Biden picked Harris as VP. I'm skeptical.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »

If Biden is physically and mentally fit to run for reelection, I don't think you can reject a decent incumbent president.

But if he declines to run again, I definitely don't think Harris should be the heir apparent.  She was really a very poor choice of running mate.  She strongly appeals to no one, and Biden basically just picked because he got backed into a corner.  

In this event, I'd love to see a ticket like Elizabeth Warren/Julian Castro, especially considering the new weakness of Dems with Latino voters.  
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »

-none of the positives

So you're telling me a bunch of rural Latinos turned out for the first time and voted Trump because Biden picked Harris as VP. I'm skeptical.

Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. Obviously, it wasn't because Trump did a phenomenal job and people had to support him.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2020, 06:00:16 PM »

This is dumb. Biden outperformed most D Senate candidates in competitive states and outperformed a lot of house candidates. You guys are imbeciles if you think anybody else in the 2020 field would have posted results like this.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »

-none of the positives

Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. Obviously, it wasn't because Trump did a phenomenal job and people had to support him.

I simply disagree and you'll need to provide actual evidence to back it up. There's no way somebody chooses to become a voter over a VP pick. Seems more likely they supported Trump over actual issues--small business closures, for example, seem like a real possibility.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »

Really wish Biden had just picked Duckworth really inspiring story with working class appeal. Harris just has so much baggage with virtually no appeal to the Rust Belt and I don't think she brought any black voters towards to the ticket. If anything she just added to young blacks skepticism of Biden.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »

Honestly, maybe. I love Biden but I doubt he will run again, especially now. As for Kamala, I like her, but it’s weird cause she’s not a moderate, but she’s not seen as a progressive either. If she wants to run, she’s gonna need to define herself more. Though with 4 years as VP, she should be able to do that.

Anyway, even though I said Democrats should maybe try for someone else, I don’t see Kamala losing the 2024 primary
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2020, 06:22:09 PM »

I agree. In fact I think she will be the first female President. She has everything it takes, and in 4 years she will also have experience. Kamala portrays the diversity that our country is.

She is a Californian elite. Those are already overrepresented in government.

People will come to like her and appreciate what she brings to the table.

The above aside, I hope you're right...

Right now, just like with Trump, we didn't know what we were getting and that's how it is with Kamala.

...but she has an electoral track record, unlike Trump, and it isn't great.

People need to get to know her, watch her, listen to her. Watch her work. No she is not the problem with the ticket, she is in fact the future of the Presidency. My opinion, of course.

As I said above, I hope you're right. She's almost certainly the future of the Democratic ticket.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2020, 06:41:45 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 06:44:51 PM by Taking the D out of Driftless :( »

A ticket that combines a Latino, progressivism, and suburb-friendliness

Warren/Castro 2024.
Florida Man
Rookie

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »

I don’t expect Biden to run again.

I think Harris would be a fine president. I just don’t think she’d win.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies