CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:21:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 89
Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD  (Read 69597 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: December 02, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »

It's not desperation. 1984.....

In any case Hart should probably concede.

Power's a wonderful drug.

House democrats are probably the word biggest hypocrites, they should really stop lecturing us about how Trump is destroying democracy by refusing to concede when they can’t even accept losing a seat.
This!

I'll give Hart until the end of the month but that's it then. There wasn't obvious fraud in IA-2.

People making comparisions to Trump because he isn't conceding is hilarious! Trump will never publicly concede but he did say that he would withdraw his lawsuits if the Electoral College elects Biden come December 14th.

At least Trump is going through the Courts while Hart isn't because she knows she would lose.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1976 on: December 02, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »

What the Hart Campaign is doing is IMO total "Cringeworthy".

She knows she will lose before that 5 Judge Panel so she goes directly to the House.

SORE LOSER!

Weren't you a Trump supporter?
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #1977 on: December 02, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »

House democrats are probably the word biggest hypocrites, they should really stop lecturing us about how Trump is destroying democracy by refusing to concede when they can’t even accept losing a seat.

The rhetoric coming from Trump is far, far more dangerous. My parents are becoming completely unhinged over the Trump loss. They think the whole system needs to be torn down, the democratic party completely stole the election everywhere, China will take over America, everything is fake, etc. The president has far more influence than a random house member. Trump also lost by more than Hart did.

6 vote margin "sore loser Hart, concede now"

7 million vote margin, with hundreds of thousands of votes in the relevant EC states "the President is well within his rights to contest this result"

Kind of a strawman tbh. I don't think anyone is advocating for Hart to concede but not Trump.

Well if the democratic House majority declares Hart the winner and seats her in the House, this statement would have some justification.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1978 on: December 02, 2020, 04:05:08 PM »

The rhetoric coming from Trump is far, far more dangerous. My parents are becoming completely unhinged over the Trump loss. They think the whole system needs to be torn down, the democratic party completely stole the election everywhere, China will take over America, everything is fake, etc. The president has far more influence than a random house member. Trump also lost by more than Hart did.

7 million vote margin, with hundreds of thousands of votes in the relevant EC states "the President is well within his rights to contest this result"

Kind of a strawman tbh. I don't think anyone is advocating for Hart to concede but not Trump.

Well if the democratic House majority declares Hart the winner and seats her in the House, this statement would have some justification.

Would that cancel out Bush’s “win” in 2000?  I ask this as someone who opposes unilaterally seating Hart.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #1979 on: December 02, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »

Would that cancel out Bush’s “win” in 2000?  I ask this as someone who opposes unilaterally seating Hart.
Hart, contrary to Bush, is not even making her case in front of a judge, she is going straight to Pelosi. Also, IA-2 has been already certified, including by two dems, if Hart is seated this seat will have been stolen and it's not metaphorical.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1980 on: December 02, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »

I genuinely doubt Pelosi would agree to seat Hart over Miller-Meeks.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1981 on: December 02, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »

Should Democrats use IA-2 as a bargaining chip? They will agree to seat Miller-Meeks in the house in exchange for policy concessions.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1982 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »

If I'm reading right, Hart isn't even asking to be seated. She's just asking for an extension beyond the December 8th deadline.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #1983 on: December 02, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »

Should Democrats use IA-2 as a bargaining chip? They will agree to seat Miller-Meeks in the house in exchange for policy concessions.

It's total no sense.

Hart lost because she got less votes than her opponent, it's a fact, there is nothing to negotiate on that. Policies are bargainable democracy isn't.

If Pelosi decides to seat Hart despite the results being validated by the state board (which includes two democrats), House democrats will have to pay the political price for it in two years.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1984 on: December 02, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »

It's total no sense.

Hart lost because she got less votes than her opponent, it's a fact, there is nothing to negotiate on that. Policies are bargainable democracy isn't.

If Pelosi decides to seat Hart despite the results being validated by the state board (which includes two democrats), House democrats will have to pay the political price for it in two years.

I doubt Pelosi would go for it, and if she did I imagine some Blue Dogs would flip and deny her a majority on it.

If they did go through with it, I could easily see McConnell going nuclear and refusing to seat Warnock if that race ends in a narrow Dem victory.

It's one of those escalations that's not worth the benefit.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1985 on: December 02, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2020, 04:46:17 PM by Torie »

Well now that team Tenney is ahead by 12 votes, her lawyers have now made a filing advocating that the judge now order that she be certified the winner, cuz there is nothing more to see here, and it is time to move on. It's the election that is the gift that just keeps giving - to lawyers!

Team Brindisi wants a partial recount, but apparently not more for the moment, the better to find out the identity of who is first past the post might change, and if it does, of course then the two sides will switch places, and can just use the other side's prior filings - Gore v. Bush all over again.

https://twitter.com/JRosenblattTV
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1986 on: December 02, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »

BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1987 on: December 02, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »

I do find the dramatics from some of the Republican leaning posters in this thread humorous after the past month. If Trump is allowed to exhaust his legal options like so my Republican senators and congress members have stated, why isn't Hart awarded the same?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1988 on: December 02, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »

It's total no sense.

I doubt Pelosi would go for it, and if she did I imagine some Blue Dogs would flip and deny her a majority on it.

If they did go through with it, I could easily see McConnell going nuclear and refusing to seat Warnock if that race ends in a narrow Dem victory.

It's one of those escalations that's not worth the benefit.

Well if Warnock and Ossoff both win McConnel won't be majority leader?

BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1989 on: December 02, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »

Just a note, the House wont just declare Hart the winner over Miller-Meeks. In 1984, the house ordered a recount(power given to them by the Federal Contested Elections Act) and the democrat took the lead.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1990 on: December 02, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »

It's total no sense.

No one will remember this in 2022. (For the record, I don't think Hart should be seated.) It's not like Republicans suffered for what Mark Harris did in 2018.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1991 on: December 02, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »

I do find the dramatics from some of the Republican leaning posters in this thread humorous after the past month. If Trump is allowed to exhaust his legal options like so my Republican senators and congress members have stated, why isn't Hart awarded the same?
Because she is in fact not exhausting legal options.

Exhausting legal options would be going though Courts whether those are Iowa Courts only or Federal Circuit Courts doesn't matter.

Going directly to the United States House of Representatives asking them to overturn the Election Results ain't legal options in my book.

Hart will have a really tough time with it because both, the Iowa Auditor as well as the Iowa State Treasurer (BOTH ARE DEMOCRATS) are certified Marianette Miller-Meeks too and they certainly would have objected if there was some fraud or further problem.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1992 on: December 02, 2020, 05:13:53 PM »

It would be a political disaster for the Democrats that would cost them a lot more than one seat in 2022 if they were to go against the certified result of the state of Iowa and seat Hart.

I do agree with this.  It would be an open invitation to state legislatures to just appoint their own electors the next time a state goes to a recount in a presidential election with the opposite party of the legislative majority leading. 
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1993 on: December 02, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »

It's total no sense.

No one will remember this in 2022. (For the record, I don't think Hart should be seated.) It's not like Republicans suffered for what Mark Harris did in 2018.

Harris was a wild case because he stole both the primary and the general, and the GOP lent him relatively little support once the shady stuff came out.

It was relatively hard to portray that as some kind of GOP conspiracy.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1994 on: December 02, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »

A 6 vote margin is essentially a statistical tie, with no way of knowing who actually got more valid votes, and a special election would be fairest, although I understand this is not the done thing, and, barring compelling evidence there are uncounted votes, Miller-Meeks should probably be seated.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1995 on: December 02, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »

A 6 vote margin is essentially a statistical tie, with no way of knowing who actually got more valid votes, and a special election would be fairest, although I understand this is not the done thing, and, barring compelling evidence there are uncounted votes, Miller-Meeks should probably be seated.

This is also my position
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1996 on: December 02, 2020, 06:38:37 PM »

David Wasserman agrees with me

This is going nowhere IMO!

Junior Chimp

« Reply #1997 on: December 02, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »

To be perfectly honest with you I think NY-22 deserves a Special Election more than IA-2.

Remember: Hart even netted 26 Votes out of Scott County despite that this County broke Iowa Election Law and used a "Hybrid Version", a combined Machine & Manual Recount when Iowa Law only allows to use one. Rita Hart should keep quiet and accept defeat and if she doesn't want to accept it for now at least go to regular Court System and not ask the House to overturn the Results.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1998 on: December 03, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2020, 08:32:04 AM by StateBoiler »

A 6 vote margin is essentially a statistical tie, with no way of knowing who actually got more valid votes.

You captured my literal anger toward election administration in a sentence there, well done.

I actually wonder if Hart's challenge to the House is Pelosi-encouraged. Democrats will hold a very narrow majority, and while in the end they may just say Miller-Meeks won, while it is being investigated and until the Louisiana special election is held, it gives Pelosi 1 more seat of wiggle room.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1999 on: December 03, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2020, 10:49:45 AM by Position TBD Pete »

To be perfectly honest with you I think NY-22 deserves a Special Election more than IA-2.

Remember: Hart even netted 26 Votes out of Scott County despite that this County broke Iowa Election Law and used a "Hybrid Version", a combined Machine & Manual Recount when Iowa Law only allows to use one. Rita Hart should keep quiet and accept defeat and if she doesn't want to accept it for now at least go to regular Court System and not ask the House to overturn the Results.

No, neither deserves a special election.  You don't get to rewrite the rules just b/c NY-22 would likely flip to the Republicans in a special election.  Also, Hart's not asking the House to overturn the results.  She's asking for a deadline extension.

Both deserve a full recount in every county.  One was already conducted in IA-2 and while in theory there's no issue with extending things a bit if there are really any outstanding ballots that need to be reviewed, IA-2 seems about done.  Of course, you're a Trump supporter so you're really in no position to complain about sore losers or people trying to overturn election results.  

Beyond which, while I realize that you really want to pretend Hart's 26 vote gain in Scott County was some sort of controversial/sketchy scandal, it isn't.  The fact that a Democrat gained votes in a recount does not mean you can just ignore the results of that county's recount.

NY-22 should just have the deadline extended so another full hand-recount can be conducted in every precinct in the district.  At this point, that's the only reasonable way to resolve this race.  Otherwise, it's gonna be a mess and may come down to votes that have already been counted.  A special election here would be even more absurd than the House granting Rita Hart's request to extend the ballot counting deadline.  But again, there's no reason either should go to a special election.  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies