CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:39:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 89
Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD  (Read 66956 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: November 25, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »

If dems take both Iowa 2 and ny22, then I would think you can safely say dems “won” the house elections

Why?  They still lost a bunch of seats on net in a Biden win.  What is so significant about 222 vs. 223 or 224 seats?  I could see if they were going from 218 to 220, from one special election away from a flip to relatively stable. 
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1751 on: November 25, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »

Is Tenney the Ilario Pantano of the cycle?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1752 on: November 25, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »

I just noticed that madeleine dean got basically the same margin out of her district this year as hillary did in 2016. that's a really sh!tty performance. she actually did 0.3% worse
Might be the impeachment stuff? Idk
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1753 on: November 25, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »

Honestly the house was probably going to flip regardless. Just hope Perdue and Loeffler lose so we can get redistricting reform

The Senate would have to first abolish the filibuster and then pass your legislation on the narrowest of margins in both the Senate and House.

And the Supreme Court could very easily deem the legislation unconstitutional.
I mean the Supreme Court may or may not strike it down, but that's better odds than not winning the senate and having no chance of it even passing through congress.. I'm just trying to stay positive
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1754 on: November 25, 2020, 06:04:08 PM »

This article gives a really good summary of where things stand in IA-02:

The state of Iowa is set to certify statewide results on Monday at 3:00 pm. I imagine IA-02 will be a legal battle for awhile even after Monday, though?

they literally look like the same person lol

Not quite, but there is a resemblance in that both are blondes, both are middle aged, and both wear glasses. And they say that all blacks look alike! Well, speaking as a black person, I've seen many whites who look alike as well-particularly at my job.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only white person who doesn't think this, lol.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1755 on: November 25, 2020, 06:04:09 PM »

Anthony effing Brindisi
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #1756 on: November 25, 2020, 06:10:08 PM »

So much for the hot takes that pelosi “lost” this election cycle

Congrats to Pelosi for her house majority "only" being reduced being reduced by around 10 seats, despite the previous expected double digit gain.. lol.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1757 on: November 25, 2020, 06:22:48 PM »

I mean, she did. Democrats should have gained ~10 seats. Losing any is definitely an underperformance.

Yeah but that's more Biden's fault for not winning by 8 points than hers-their fate was decided by the top of the ticket.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1758 on: November 25, 2020, 06:25:10 PM »

I mean, she did. Democrats should have gained ~10 seats. Losing any is definitely an underperformance.

Yeah but that's more Biden's fault for not winning by 8 points than hers-their fate was decided by the top of the ticket.

I don't blame Pelosi but I also don't consider this a victory. Democrats were never going to lose the house. Any election where we lost seats was the worst-case scenario.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1759 on: November 25, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »

God Damn it

you already got a win in ca 25, go home and be happy with mexico mike
I can still want other seats, you can be happy with the presidency alone using that logic. And what?

I just meant since you worked for him and are native kin to him
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1760 on: November 25, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »

Brindisi pretty much declares victory:

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1761 on: November 25, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »

Absolutely amazing. This is just great. I have had to pick an incumbent to survive, Brindisi may not have been my first choice, but he'd be in the top 3.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1762 on: November 25, 2020, 06:41:18 PM »

As the incumbent party in the House, Dems should have run ahead of Biden.  Pelosi should have taken Mnuchin’s 1.8 trillion stimulus offer and gotten Trump to force McConnell to pass it through the Senate.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1763 on: November 25, 2020, 06:42:58 PM »

As the incumbent party in the House, Dems should have run ahead of Biden.  Pelosi should have taken Mnuchin’s 1.8 trillion stimulus offer and gotten Trump to force McConnell to pass it through the Senate.

A stimulus would've resulted in Trump's reelection.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1764 on: November 25, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »

This is ridiculous from Rep. Anthony Brindisi! His Race hasn't been decided! There are hundreds of challenged Ballots in this Race which Justice DelConte has to review and confirm. This is a 13-Vote margin. This will go to a Recount at least and Tenney has every legal right to do it!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1765 on: November 25, 2020, 06:44:16 PM »

As the incumbent party in the House, Dems should have run ahead of Biden.  Pelosi should have taken Mnuchin’s 1.8 trillion stimulus offer and gotten Trump to force McConnell to pass it through the Senate.

If it helped the country and the Democratic House members, so be it.  It is not Pelosi’s job to worry about the Presidential election.  Protecting her caucus is her first priority.

Because of Pelosi, Democrats lost House seats and there probably won’t be any stimulus.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1766 on: November 25, 2020, 06:51:30 PM »

This is ridiculous from Rep. Anthony Brindisi! His Race hasn't been decided! There are hundreds of challenged Ballots in this Race which Justice DelConte has to review and confirm. This is a 13-Vote margin. This will go to a Recount at least and Tenney has every legal right to do it!

Junior Chimp

« Reply #1767 on: November 25, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »

As the incumbent party in the House, Dems should have run ahead of Biden.  Pelosi should have taken Mnuchin’s 1.8 trillion stimulus offer and gotten Trump to force McConnell to pass it through the Senate.

If it helped the country and the Democratic House members, so be it.  It is not Pelosi’s job to worry about the Presidential election.  Protecting her caucus is her first priority.

Because of Pelosi, Democrats lost House seats and there probably won’t be any stimulus.
Pelosi gambled! She wants to pass her 3Trillion $ Heroes Crap Act which under any circumstances won't pass. Manchin isn't going to vote for a 3 Trillon $$$$ Spending Bill even if Democrats take the Senate in January. Pelosi lost here BIG!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1768 on: November 25, 2020, 07:00:19 PM »

Pelosi gambled! She wants to pass her 3Trillion $ Heroes Crap Act which under any circumstances won't pass. Manchin isn't going to vote for a 3 Trillon $$$$ Spending Bill even if Democrats take the Senate in January. Pelosi lost here BIG!

Pelosi is a fool.  She screwed the Democrats.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1769 on: November 25, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »

Fortunately Pelosi realized that a second term Trump would've led to a collapse of free and fair elections and in all likelihood the end of the Democratic party.

She was looking out for her caucus.

I think it's disgusting that we still don't have a stimulus but four more years of Trump would've caused far, far more damage long term.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1770 on: November 25, 2020, 07:17:44 PM »

Love to win the house elections by not getting a majority.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1771 on: November 25, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »

That's it! Rita Hart will not get the +9 out of Jasper County she hoped. She only gets one vote.

That means Miller-Meeks will still be a head by 8 Votes.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1772 on: November 25, 2020, 07:21:29 PM »

Whatever happens in the recount the legal chaos will last for weeks
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1773 on: November 25, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »

Fortunately Pelosi realized that a second term Trump would've led to a collapse of free and fair elections and in all likelihood the end of the Democratic party.

She was looking out for her caucus.

I think it's disgusting that we still don't have a stimulus but four more years of Trump would've caused far, far more damage long term.

Do you realize that not getting a stimulus is going to result in many people losing their jobs? 

Democrats will likely lose the House in 2022 under Biden and probably not get it back until the midterm of a Republican President.  Dems won’t get the Senate back this decade. 
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1774 on: November 25, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »

It is not obvious that House Democrats would have received electoral benefits if a stimulus package had passed (they should have tried to do it anyway, but that's because putting good lawmaking over clever politicking is a cornerstone of responsible governance with long-term dividends). That was plausible, but polarisation meant probable gains for Trump could easily have translated into more downballot Republican gains.

Where there was room for electoral benefit was in reaching a compromise with the White House in confidence that it likely would not have passed the Senate. McConnell was already refusing to agree to the White House's terms; he was, by that point, more than prepared to sacrifice Trump's electoral prospects for special interests. If Democrats and Trump had a "bipartisan" front against Republicans on an overwhelmingly popular measure, that is the sort of thing that would probably have helped downballot Democrats with Trump voters (against the swamp/corporatism) without helping the president himself (because he'd have failed to pass a stimulus package).

Edit: w.r.t. the 'responsible governance' line, this is why they should still try to get one passed now. Republican Senators might be more willing to pass a bill if they fear that failing to do so could cost them the Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies