NC-Data For Progress: Cunningham +5
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:16:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  NC-Data For Progress: Cunningham +5
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NC-Data For Progress: Cunningham +5  (Read 2888 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:44:40 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »

HISTORICALLY
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »

I'll take it. Nice to see Cunningham not only running ahead in margin but also in vote %. This is definately back to lean D.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »

I'm getting a bit more confident with this race.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 08:49:43 PM »

It's clear at this point that Cunningham's sexting scandal did little to change the trajectory of this race, although the margin has tightened compared to where it was a few months ago (and that was inevitable, and would have occurred even without the scandal). It's not a stretch to say that Tillis might be in a worse position than Susan Collins at this point, given the uncertainties that RCV introduces to the voting in Maine and the fact that Gideon has been running much further behind Biden than Cunningham, who is running slightly ahead of him.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »

Sounds wonderful! I want that too - very badly
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »

Oct 27-Nov 1
908 likely voters
MoE: 3.3%
Changes with Oct 15-18

Cunningham 51% (+5)
Tillis 46% (+4)
Bray (L) 2% (+1)
Hayes (C) 1% (n/c)
Other candidate or write-in 0%

Not sure previously at 10%
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 09:05:01 PM »

If this is the final margin, holding the other seat will be an uphill battle for Republicans in 2022 even in a Republican-leaning year. Unless polling is off substantially (possible), this state appears to have zoomed leftward way more than I would have expected.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2020, 09:19:28 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

If this is the final margin, holding the other seat will be an uphill battle for Republicans in 2022 even in a Republican-leaning year. Unless polling is off substantially (possible), this state appears to have zoomed leftward way more than I would have expected.

This does not necessarily mean the state has zoomed leftward considering it comes with a presidential race currently sitting (according to this pollster) at 50-48 in a wave environment. Maybe Democrats are just going to be afforded more downballot support in the longterm because of ancestral Trump Democrats (although we've seen how that story tends to go in other states), but the most probable explanation is just that Tillis is a bad candidate and shouldn't run in 2022.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »

Recent polling has been pretty consistent for this race. While I could certainly see polling underestimate Tillis a bit, he needs a decent 3-4% polling error to pull this off. It’s possible, but I’d definitely rather be Cunningham.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »

This does not necessarily mean the state has zoomed leftward considering it comes with a presidential race currently sitting (according to this pollster) at 50-48 in a wave environment. Maybe Democrats are just going to be afforded more downballot support in the longterm because of ancestral Trump Democrats (although we've seen how that story tends to go in other states), but the most probable explanation is just that Tillis is a bad candidate and shouldn't run in 2022.

I agree with this. Tillis won by slightly less than 1.6 percentage points in 2014, which was a Republican wave year, and North Carolina has been a closely divided swing state for years. It's not surprising that in this kind of national environment, it would lean towards the Democrats.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 09:32:34 PM »

so hot and so fun!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »

I agree with this. Tillis won by slightly less than 1.6 percentage points in 2014, which was a Republican wave year, and North Carolina has been a closely divided swing state for years. It's not surprising that in this kind of national environment, it would lean towards the Democrats.

Or -- alternative take: Tillis won by slightly less than 1.6 percentage points in 2014 because the state has zoomed leftward. Tongue

This does make Deborah Ross' showing look really pathetic, though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »

New Poll: North Carolina Senator by Data 4 Progress on 2020-11-01

Summary: D: 51%, R: 46%, U: 0%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2020, 10:08:08 PM by Calthrina950 »

Or -- alternative take: Tillis won by slightly less than 1.6 percentage points in 2014 because the state has zoomed leftward. Tongue

You could be right. But I still think that the national environment, more than anything else, is influencing the trajectory and the eventual outcome of this race. Cunningham isn't the strongest candidate Democrats could have run here, and is benefitting from the same external factors that are driving the Biden lead here. To say nothing of the fact that Tillis has never been popular and has always had weaknesses with the Republican base.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 09:59:08 PM »

You could be right. But I still think that the national environment, more than anything else, is influencing the trajectory and the eventual outcome of this race. Cunningham isn't the strongest candidate Democrats could have won here, and is benefitting from the same external factors that are driving the Biden lead here. To say nothing of the fact that Tillis has never been popular and has always had weaknesses with the Republican base.

Oh sure, I agree with this. Cunningham probably would have lost in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies