IA-Selzer: Trump +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  IA-Selzer: Trump +7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
Author Topic: IA-Selzer: Trump +7  (Read 34808 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: November 05, 2020, 05:22:52 AM »

They should poll other states since the "gold standard" Quinnipiac and PPP are finally thoroughly discredited as being Democratic wishcasts
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #526 on: November 05, 2020, 06:11:30 AM »

Do we know much about Selzers methodology here? I remember hearing a podcast about how she did polling of Iowa causes, but I can't imagine that she does the same thing here?
bilaps
« Reply #527 on: November 05, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »

i am here only to see if wbrocks67 has any comment on unskewing every single poll for 6 months to favor democrats and biden in every single comment or what he would said literally every poll.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #528 on: November 05, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »

Do we know much about Selzers methodology here? I remember hearing a podcast about how she did polling of Iowa causes, but I can't imagine that she does the same thing here?

IIRC, Selzer has a very laissez-faire approach to polling: use very little weighing (only age, sex, and congressional district), make few prior assumptions and let the data tell you what it tells you. She doesn't take past voting history into account. She doesn't make efforts to re-sample missed voters.

The only thing somewhat notable is that she records demographics of non-voters as well as voters in order to weigh the entire sample to the overall population using Census data.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #529 on: November 05, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »

Everyone who attacked Selzer after this poll owes her an apology.  Especially LeanTossup, who really went after her.

I'll start:  I was dumb to use the Dem primary screw-up as an attack on Selzer.  It wasn't even her fault that her callers listed Buttigieg incorrectly.  And her leaked results weren't very far off from the actual results.  It was just me clutching at any signal that she was unprofessional or declining so I could discount this outlier poll.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #530 on: November 05, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »

Everyone who attacked Selzer after this poll owes her an apology.  Especially LeanTossup, who really went after her.

I'll start:  I was dumb to use the Dem primary screw-up as an attack on Selzer.  It wasn't even her fault that her callers listed Buttigieg incorrectly.  And her leaked results weren't very far off from the actual results.  It was just me clutching at any signal that she was unprofessional or declining so I could discount this outlier poll.

Good on you, eating your crow is important, I was wrong too in certain races (Texas especially and I will eat it)
Thanks for admitting you were wrong unlike a lot of people Smiley
bandg
Rookie
« Reply #531 on: November 05, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »

This shows why weighting by education won't solve anything. The root problem is that Biden supporters are eager to answer polls, while Trump supporters hate the media and won't answer polls or will lie instead. Of course, this effect varies state by state (and was non-existent for Obama vs Romney). The only way to fix this is to weight by Trump support, but of course that's what you're trying to measure in the first place.

I wonder if one reason Selzer is more successful is that in Iowa specifically there is a higher tendency for Trump supporters to answer a DMR poll honestly because of its reputation. Same but to a lesser extent with Marquette in Wisconsin.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #532 on: November 05, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »

Perhaps we misunderestimated Queen Ann
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #533 on: November 05, 2020, 04:19:10 PM »

Ann should poll the Midwest, although polls were very off in Florida and some of the applachians areas
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #534 on: November 05, 2020, 04:58:17 PM »

LolTossup is seriously the most laughable predictor this cycle. Even Bitecofer's prediction wasn't as terrible as theirs.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #535 on: November 05, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »

D's don't need to spend money in IA, FL and TX and MT and OH 2022 since the incumbents are favored to win reelection. They should learn from Harrison, HEGAR, Bollier and Bullocks experience

DeSantis, Rubio, Kemp, Reynolds, Portman, Cruz, and DeWine, are all safe bets for reelection
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #536 on: November 05, 2020, 06:31:33 PM »

I am awaiting a formal, written apology from many of the posters on this forum.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #537 on: November 05, 2020, 06:41:51 PM »

I love this thread reached 20 pages and half of it was that hack S-MD avatar saying the poll was junk and asking why are there so many pages?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #538 on: November 05, 2020, 11:19:38 PM »

So turns out it was a good Yellow/red flag for the driftless area as it continued to swing right in Iowa and Wisconsin and Illinois. In Minnesota it did swing left a touch though.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #539 on: November 06, 2020, 01:46:44 AM »

I just thought I.d let you know that I didn't apologize to her.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #540 on: November 06, 2020, 01:54:38 AM »

I am awaiting a formal, written apology from many of the posters on this forum.
Haven't read this sh*tshow of a thread, but wasn't your very first post in this thread literally "
Wow. Trump is going to win the election."?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #541 on: November 06, 2020, 01:59:28 AM »

LMAO this is getting great, I wonder if you have anymore hidden gems from earlier this year.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #542 on: November 06, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

Yep.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #543 on: November 06, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »

It's safe R in the long term because of trends but the thinking that its Senate race was more in reach than most other competitive seats beyond the core four was correct. It wasn't that bad relative to the national environment, although it will be next time.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #544 on: November 06, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »

IIRC, Selzer has a very laissez-faire approach to polling: use very little weighing (only age, sex, and congressional district), make few prior assumptions and let the data tell you what it tells you. She doesn't take past voting history into account. She doesn't make efforts to re-sample missed voters.

The only thing somewhat notable is that she records demographics of non-voters as well as voters in order to weigh the entire sample to the overall population using Census data.

In other words, a high flexible, non assumptive approach to polling that removes a lot of the educated "guesswork" about what the electorate will look like an instead lets the electorate itself tell you what it will look like.

A priori vs a posteriori perhaps?
kwabbit

« Reply #545 on: November 06, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »

In other words, a high flexible, non assumptive approach to polling that removes a lot of the educated "guesswork" about what the electorate will look like an instead lets the electorate itself tell you what it will look like.

A priori vs a posteriori perhaps?

She must have some ingenious sampling technique bc she reaches a representative sample of the electorate without much weighting. She's definitely doing something to reach these Trump voters no one else does.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #546 on: November 06, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »

Ann, I will never doubt you again.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »

Queen Ann's  Purple heart first interview since her 'disaster' 'outlier' poll.  Tongue

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #548 on: November 11, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »

This one got it right. Donald Trump has shown himself at exploiting (if not solving) mass resentments at what many consider arrogant, obnoxious, aloof "coastal elites".
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #549 on: November 11, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »

i am here only to see if wbrocks67 has any comment on unskewing every single poll for 6 months to favor democrats and biden in every single comment or what he would said literally every poll.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies