IA-Selzer: Trump +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:52:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  IA-Selzer: Trump +7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
Author Topic: IA-Selzer: Trump +7  (Read 35202 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: November 02, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »

21 Pages Tongue

I think this one is an outlier for crosstabs and undecideds alone, but I was always confident Trump would take IA and OH. Former is going to way of MO. Not that it matters for the final outcome. It's for sure NOT an indicator WI is seeing a last minute shift for Trump. It's actually the opposite that happened by looking at recent polling, with Biden +17 being an outlier equally. Even A+ pollsters have outliers or get stuff wrong.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #501 on: November 02, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »

Selzer's willingness to reveal this poll says a lot about her integrity.
ExSky

« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2020, 03:47:11 PM »

Gotta keep this one alive through E Day. Gonna be quite the threat to run through in a few hours.
psychprofessor

« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »

Gotta keep this one alive through E Day. Gonna be quite the threat to run through in a few hours.

2024 gold standard RABA
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »

21 Pages Tongue

I think this one is an outlier for crosstabs and undecideds alone, but I was always confident Trump would take IA and OH. Former is going to way of MO. Not that it matters for the final outcome. It's for sure NOT an indicator WI is seeing a last minute shift for Trump. It's actually the opposite that happened by looking at recent polling, with Biden +17 being an outlier equally. Even A+ pollsters have outliers or get stuff wrong.

You really are 🐻 bearish on Biden chances in IA and OH and GREENFIELD has lead I'm 6/9, polls reminds me of Elections Guy, Xing and Icespear on how wrong they were on KY Gov Bevin

The D House delegation is gonna be the same after the election 3/1 and Gov Chet Culver D from IA 1999/2007 likes to say hi.

Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #505 on: November 04, 2020, 12:03:39 AM »

Well...
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #506 on: November 04, 2020, 01:20:43 AM »

Selzer remains the gold standard. Practically dead on.
kwabbit

« Reply #507 on: November 04, 2020, 01:40:31 AM »

All hail Selzer lol. After the anti-doomers so viciously attacked literally the best pollster in the industry, guess who was right?

Not that I thought Trump would do so well, but folks (especially wbrocks67) attacking good pollsters who didn't have favorable enough numbers for Biden look so ridiculous.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #508 on: November 04, 2020, 04:03:57 AM »

Remember all the smears against Queen Ann Purple heart?

I do.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #509 on: November 04, 2020, 04:08:53 AM »

Selzer attains almost goddess like status after this.

I mean Robert C. Cahaly might have gotten a bunch of states right, but his methodology still reeks of partisan hackery.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #510 on: November 04, 2020, 04:09:50 AM »

I wonder whether there was last minute shift toward Trump, since their September poll showed a de facto tie? Trump was certainly gaining a little in national polls to the end.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #511 on: November 04, 2020, 04:30:58 AM »

Ann Selzer aces again!
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #512 on: November 04, 2020, 04:33:16 AM »

I look forward to mocking Selzer in a few days

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #513 on: November 04, 2020, 05:43:22 AM »

Ann Selzer really should start polling the entire midwest. Nobody else seems to know what they are doing in that region.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #514 on: November 04, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »

um, well
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #515 on: November 04, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »

We were wrong to doubt our Queen.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #516 on: November 04, 2020, 10:19:06 AM »

So Ann Seltzer strikes again! Respect!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #517 on: November 04, 2020, 12:47:43 PM »

That Selzer was right and so many others were wrong may suggest education weighting is not the panacea so many thought. Selzer doesn't do it.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #518 on: November 04, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »

That Selzer was right and so many others were wrong may suggest education weighting is not the panacea so many thought. Selzer doesn't do it.

This poll will be famous, that's for sure.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #519 on: November 04, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »

Something I posted a few weeks back:

We've been over this.

The problem with 2016 was that pollsters were not controlling for education because historically, education level was not a reliable predictor of voting patterns. That has changed, and now the more educated you are the more likely you are to vote Democrat.

That gap is especially true among white voters.

Pollsters are now controlling for education.

So unless there's something else they're missing, they're probably not overestimating Biden's white support.

Here's the thing: weighting by education only solves your problem if the small sample of non-college voters you do successfully get is conditionally representative of the non-responsive non-college population.

As I doubt pollsters' ability to reach non-college whites has increased since 2016, this means inflating the importance of the few non-college respondents you do have, which is a group which tends to be disproportionately elderly. If, for example, elderly non-college voters have moved left since 2016 while others have not (or even moved right), education weighting may actually make polls less accurate than without education weighting.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #520 on: November 04, 2020, 01:08:05 PM »

Selzer remains the gold standard. Practically dead on.

Dread it, run from it, Republican Iowa arrives all the same. Selzer knows Iowa best.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #521 on: November 04, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »

Incredible
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #522 on: November 05, 2020, 12:52:03 AM »

Something I posted a few weeks back:

We've been over this.

The problem with 2016 was that pollsters were not controlling for education because historically, education level was not a reliable predictor of voting patterns. That has changed, and now the more educated you are the more likely you are to vote Democrat.

That gap is especially true among white voters.

Pollsters are now controlling for education.

So unless there's something else they're missing, they're probably not overestimating Biden's white support.

Here's the thing: weighting by education only solves your problem if the small sample of non-college voters you do successfully get is conditionally representative of the non-responsive non-college population.

As I doubt pollsters' ability to reach non-college whites has increased since 2016, this means inflating the importance of the few non-college respondents you do have, which is a group which tends to be disproportionately elderly. If, for example, elderly non-college voters have moved left since 2016 while others have not (or even moved right), education weighting may actually make polls less accurate than without education weighting.

This seems spot on. It seems that polls in general currently have a significant problem with non-response bias. The problem is that the overall response rate to polls is so low (and continuously going lower) that even a fairly small response bias can significantly bias the results.

Polls should be treated with a lot more general skepticism for the time being unless/until pollsters can come up with an alternative way of reaching people that can attain a higher general response rate while also achieving a truly randomized and representative sample.

Methods like post-stratification are very nice to paper things over and try to get at least something filling in the response gaps, but it is still very easy for small numbers of respondents from a demographic with a low response rate to not be representative of the demographic as a whole, which is precisely the conditional unrepresentativeness problem that you rightly highlight.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #523 on: November 05, 2020, 12:52:50 AM »

This poll will be famous, that's for sure.

This entire thread will be famous.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #524 on: November 05, 2020, 02:37:16 AM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=251190.msg7710734#msg7710734

Heres the poll from 2016 and forum reaction.

I think people should genuinely take this as a small yellow flag atleast. Im still pretty sure Biden wins but its absurd gaslighting to say one should just entirely discount this poll.

Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota are not in play.

We don't know that. If this Iowa result is right, then theu are in play along with Pennsylvania, while Ohio is safe Trump.

Seems like I got the correct assumptions from this poll right, I even warned about the sample size for the districts. I still think I have overestimated Biden in the Midwest with my guess being +4.5 biden in PA and MI.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies