Why did John Breckenridgedo so well in Connecticut in 1860? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:48:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why did John Breckenridgedo so well in Connecticut in 1860? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did John Breckenridgedo so well in Connecticut in 1860?  (Read 586 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: October 30, 2020, 07:47:05 PM »

I can only offer an anecdote here, but it's very interesting that I happened to have quoted a Union soldier from Connecticut writing home about the Civil War in a paper I wrote in college for an advanced Civil War elective.  It's saved on my old computer, but if I remember I would really like to cite it in a few weeks when I am back at my parents' house.

Anyway, the jist of it was that this soldier effectively didn't see any reason why they shouldn't just let the South go, and that his views on slavery were closer to a Southerner's than the federal government by this point (I think the letter was written in the later stages of the war?).  Considering CT seems to have been a lot less Republican than the rest of New England and close to a Democratic base in New York City, perhaps this wasn't an overly uncommon attitude in the state around this time?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies