should public secondary schools end sports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:18:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should public secondary schools end sports
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: should public secondary schools end sports
yes

yes, less organized intramurel sports are fine

just the more "violent" ones

meh

no

oh hell no

you just don't get it dead0

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: should public secondary schools end sports  (Read 379 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2020, 06:50:50 AM »

It's been said (I'm sure I can find quotes if you need them) that high school sports should be cancelled for the various obvious (and not so obvious) reasons.  We have our share of "won't someone think of the children" types, so maybe some people here will be for ending sports.

or maybe this is a bad thread
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »

What's the argument for?

I mean, the biggest problem I can think of with centring organised sports around schools is that people give up once they leave school and that drives obesity. Better to have the club system you get here which encourages people to stay with the sport into adulthood and provides an easy route back to organised sport in the case they do leave.

That's not really an excuse to end sports though, more just the point that there is a case to be made to develop a better sporting infrastructure outside of schools.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »

Yes dead0man, this is a bad thread.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »

Options 5, 6, and 7 (normal), and I didn't even play any high school sports unless you count marching band. Delete this thread immediately.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »

Athletics are one of the only useful things funded at the secondary school level. They should receive significantly more funding.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 01:23:54 AM »

Athletics are one of the only useful things funded at the secondary school level. They should receive significantly more funding.

I can certainly see an argument for reducing how much is spent on them, especially football. Not because football is a potentially dangerous sport, which it is,but the amount of money spent on the stadium can be ridiculous.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 03:54:49 AM »

I can certainly see an argument for reducing how much is spent on them, especially football. Not because football is a potentially dangerous sport, which it is,but the amount of money spent on the stadium can be ridiculous.

It’s quite unbelievable that down in Texas, there are high school stadiums with 20,000 capacity - the size of a small English Premier League stadium.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 05:26:07 AM »

It’s quite unbelievable that down in Texas, there are high school stadiums with 20,000 capacity - the size of a small English Premier League stadium.

It's quite unbelievable that high schools there have stadiums at all, if you ask me.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »

It's quite unbelievable that high schools there have stadiums at all, if you ask me.

Yep - a rather alien concept for us Europeans!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »

Keep in mind that in America's civic culture, especially in small towns, schools are the one community-wide institution in local communities.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »

Keep in mind that in America's civic culture, especially in small towns, schools are the one community-wide institution in local communities.

I guess the other relevant cultural difference is that in America, most participation in the major team sports is through academic institutions (certainly if you harbour professional hopes), whereas in Europe, while there are school teams, if you are serious about your sport you will be a member of a club outside of school.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies