HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:57:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)  (Read 3751 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« on: November 19, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »

Right, so as the newest appointed member of the House I'd like to weigh in.

While I'm not against the sanctioning of pedophilia and human trafficking, I'm very concerned about numerous elements within this bill, and about the motivation behind this bill. Specifically, I refer to Section IV - if passed, this would make accurate and informative sex education in schools nearly impossible, and would punish states and regions who try to codify these education requirements into law. Section III is less offensive, but I ultimately believe the regions should be allowed to decide what penalties to impose, especially due to the concerns regarding due process that II.2.a provides.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 01:06:17 AM »

All fair points; I suppose we shall tackle these one at a time.

Does anyone want to take a look at modifying or striking Section 4.II, considering the concerns that OBD has raised? That seems to be the most prominent problem so far (the regional thing requires a bit more consideration that I unfortunately don't possess right now).
Agreed. Personally, I lean towards striking Section IV in its entirety, but I'd like to hear what the gentlewoman from Mississippi has to say.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »

Yeah, I don't the votes to override the President are there. Plus, I'm not too enthusiastic about a bill that promotes the ideas of QAnon.

Motion to table.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »

Aye. I'll change my vote if the Representative from Mississippi makes a concrete proposal that waters down this bill enough for the President to sign. Otherwise, there is little point to continue debating.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »

Nay.

This bill is workable. We can compromise on this but the President's suggestion that we pass a meaningless "condemnation" or nothing is obscene. The President can spill criminals into our streets with his executive orders but he won't crack down on these most atrocious villains. Sad!
These atrocious villains are already being cracked down on. The FBI exists for a reason.
Yeah, as far as I'm aware human trafficking already carries severe penalties in the United States's OTL law. No reason to pass another bill.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 12:54:29 AM »

This appears to show that systems are already in place to prosecute human traffickers. I reiterate, there is no point to pass a bill clearly written to promote QANon as existing measures are already in place.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 12:42:11 AM »

The amendment is certainly an improvement, but as the feds/regions have existing statue that ensures these people can be held accountable (at least there is IRL, mayhaps get GM confirmation?), I'm still skeptical that we should be spending valuable House time on what seems to be just tinkering with existing penalties (plus a civil forfeitures clause, which is bad).

That said, though the President has made his intent clear regarding this bill, I will quiet my opposition to this bill if the "federal" in section III is stricken in lieu of "state or federal", which grants more leeway to the states to set prison sentences for these crimes, and if IIa and III are deleted (appeals should not be limited to 1 by any means).
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 05:27:53 PM »

I think I've heard enough. I move for a final vote once the period of consideration for the amendment ends.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 08:04:20 PM »

I think I've heard enough. I move for a final vote once the period of consideration for the amendment ends.
I motion for a final vote.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 01:04:22 AM »

Is that to be taken as a formal objection? If so, we'd have to delay the final vote.
Not familiar, but is it possible to have a vote on whether to proceed to final vote? I believe a majority of the House has heard enough on this bill to make a final decision.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 01:11:10 AM »

NAY!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies