HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:28:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)  (Read 3710 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »

Yeah, I don't the votes to override the President are there. Plus, I'm not too enthusiastic about a bill that promotes the ideas of QAnon.

Motion to table.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »

I concur with the gentleman from Oregon. This clearly does not have the votes for an override even if passed. I second the motion to table.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2020, 01:15:53 AM »

Every single Pedo and Human trafficker belongs in prison for life. I'd like to bring back the death penalty for anyone that would do this to our children. I am so sad that this congress won't protect our babies. Sad
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 02:13:59 AM »

Every single Pedo and Human trafficker belongs in prison for life. I'd like to bring back the death penalty for anyone that would do this to our children. I am so sad that this congress won't protect our babies. Sad

Yes. If we had the death penalty, people would be too scared to commit these heinous crimes. That's why there are no murders in countries with capital punishment for murder
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2020, 02:28:14 AM »

Yes. If we had the death penalty, people would be too scared to commit these heinous crimes. That's why there are no murders in countries with capital punishment for murder

I took the death penalty out of the bill with the last amendment.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2020, 02:37:34 AM »

Oh well. Quite frankly I think this bill would be workable with a few amendments, including brushing up the links to regional considerations re: penalties for child trafficking and whatnot, but there's a motion to table which has been seconded – and, well, House rules are House rules.

A vote is open on the motion to table this bill. 72 hours to vote; representatives, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2020, 02:40:07 AM »

Nay-Our children and the people that suffer under human trafficking deserve so much better.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2020, 06:29:27 AM »

Nay.

This bill is workable. We can compromise on this but the President's suggestion that we pass a meaningless "condemnation" or nothing is obscene. The President can spill criminals into our streets with his executive orders but he won't crack down on these most atrocious villains. Sad!
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »

Aye

The president has already promised a veto which will not be overrided
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »

I am personally of the opinion that, as initially written, this is essencially a QAnon bill. I am also of the opinion that this can probably be fixed by watering it down enough.

A compromise probably involves nuking section 4 outright and heavily amending section 3. Certainly a big rewrite

Not a Representative though, so not like my opinion matters much.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »

Aye. I'll change my vote if the Representative from Mississippi makes a concrete proposal that waters down this bill enough for the President to sign. Otherwise, there is little point to continue debating.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2020, 01:59:29 PM »

If y’all are serious about solving human trafficking, figure out how to enforce better instead of just jacking up the penalties. And even that is probably handled better at the regional/local level
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2020, 02:04:34 PM »

If y’all are serious about solving human trafficking, figure out how to enforce better instead of just jacking up the penalties. And even that is probably handled better at the regional/local level

Yes why are some people pretending as if there aren't existing laws that cover this?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »

Nay.

This bill is workable. We can compromise on this but the President's suggestion that we pass a meaningless "condemnation" or nothing is obscene. The President can spill criminals into our streets with his executive orders but he won't crack down on these most atrocious villains. Sad!
These atrocious villains are already being cracked down on. The FBI exists for a reason.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »

Nay

Sections 3 and 4 have been modified from the original proposal. The House has worked on this bill and maybe we can continue to avoid a veto, but maybe whatever the result it will be vetoed.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »

Nay.

These atrocious villains are already being cracked down on. The FBI exists for a reason.
Yeah, as far as I'm aware human trafficking already carries severe penalties in the United States's OTL law. No reason to pass another bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »

Not a Representative, but as others have said pedophilia and human trafficking is already illegal. Hell, one of ICE's main priorities is to catch human traffickers who cross our border. There is nothing in our legal system that protects pedophiles or human traffickers and it is absurd and dangerous to imply that there is an epidemic of these instances in Atlasia when there is none.

There is no point in passing what is ultimately a symbolic bill that will be vetoed by the President. Please do not legitimize QAnon conspiracy theories by passing this.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2020, 12:46:06 AM »

Not a Representative, but as others have said pedophilia and human trafficking is already illegal. Hell, one of ICE's main priorities is to catch human traffickers who cross our border. There is nothing in our legal system that protects pedophiles or human traffickers and it is absurd and dangerous to imply that there is an epidemic of these instances in Atlasia when there is none.

There is no point in passing what is ultimately a symbolic bill that will be vetoed by the President. Please do not legitimize QAnon conspiracy theories by passing this.

I wish to add this to the congressional record mr.speaker

https://nypost.com/2020/11/18/nearly-200-arrested-in-florida-child-sex-trafficking-bust/

I yield
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2020, 12:54:29 AM »

This appears to show that systems are already in place to prosecute human traffickers. I reiterate, there is no point to pass a bill clearly written to promote QANon as existing measures are already in place.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2020, 01:40:35 AM »

I wish to add this to the congressional record mr.speaker

https://nypost.com/2020/11/18/nearly-200-arrested-in-florida-child-sex-trafficking-bust/

I yield

If 200 child sex traffickers were arrested, surely this means that the status quo is working to accomplish the goals of this bill? You still have not made the case for why this bill is going to help victims better than currently existing systems.

As the saying goes: if ain't broke, don't fix it.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2020, 02:04:24 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 02:39:07 AM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

Nay.

I have made my feelings about this bill very clear, but still maintain that it can be made workable and agree with Tack that the way to go is by heavily modifying the rather problematic Sections III and IV. What I am envisioning here is essentially a framework within which the regions can work to combat human trafficking on their own fronts. I've brought up existing laws and enforcement efforts by two of the regions, but it would be an overall good to have something on the books that contextualizes these measures.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2020, 02:38:30 AM »

Closing the vote.

By a vote of 2-4-0-3, this tabling vote fails. Debate resumes.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 01:27:24 PM by Rep Jessica »

I am offering an amendment that removes the minimums and changes it to maximums. This amendment also strikes section 4.
AN ACT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section 1. Title
I. The long title of this Act shall be the "Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act."

Section 2: Definitions
I. Pedophilia is the act of an adult taking part in sexual activity with a minor under 14 years of age.
II. Human trafficking is the act of modern day slavery against children and adults to be sold to another individual for fiscal interest or sexual favor.

Section 3: Substance
I. Anyone over the age of 18 years of age that's discovered to have had sexual activity with anyone under the age of 14 years of age:
   Ia. This felony charge covering 3.I shall carry up to 12 years in federal prison.
   Ib. If the minor is below the age of 11 and the offender over 18 years of age shall receive up to 50 years in federal prison.
II. All individuals committing modern day slavery as in the act of human trafficking shall face up to a sentence of life in federal prison.

IIa. One appeal of the charges shall be allowed within this period.
III. Money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individual may be used to pay for damages established by the Court to the victims of modern day slavery.

Section 4: The promotion of pedophilia is disgusting
I. All content that promotes children under the age of 16 within a sexually expressive way shall be considered a crime within the borders of Atlasia.
Ia. All that are found guilty on first offense of shall receive $500 dollar fine.

Ib. Second violations shall be meant with removal of professional licensing and a 2,500 dollar fine.
Ic. Professional licensing shall be the removal of ones ability to work within said profession.

Ic1. Example of this can be removal of ones law license by the bar or ones ability to practice said profession.
II. Promotion of sexual activity or behavior in schools or class activities shall be grounds for the removal of federal funds.
   IIa. This includes books and texts.
   IIb. The Secretary of Education shall have the power to block grants for schools and colleges.
III. A federal ban is to be imposed on all states and regions that pass laws promoting pedophilia or lessening punishments as in seeking leniency towards prison sentences, or moving towards acceptance for this act.

This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2020, 01:23:14 PM »

You do know this bill as written would impose extremely strict censorship measures on films & TVs?

Are we really going to ban people reading books like the Colour Purple in school?

I'm going to say publicly what I've thought privately (I try and refrain from running over to the House to step on colleagues business) but in my view some bad bills are worth amending & saving.

Some are much better to ditch, vote down and then re-draft across party lines to actually focus on the issues. This bill falls into the latter category & if it comes to the Senate I won't be supporting it.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2020, 01:26:18 PM »

You do know this bill as written would impose extremely strict censorship measures on films & TVs?

Are we really going to ban people reading books like the Colour Purple in school?

I'm going to say publicly what I've thought privately; some bad bills are worth amending & saving. Some are much better to ditch, vote down and then re-draft across party lines to actually focus on the issues.

You can't fatten a pig on market day

Ok, I'll remove section 4. I agree with you that it is a little extreme.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies