HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:43:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: HB 26-19: Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act (Failed)  (Read 3740 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 05:56:04 PM »

I'm not voting on a bill that was debated and amended before I was elected.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:12 AM »

Well this is really something.

Only four representatives have voted, and while I respect texasgurl's eminently reasonable decision, the other four will have to vote at some point. Extending the voting period until we get a majority of representatives to vote.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 12:35:13 AM »

Aye.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 12:35:41 AM »

Nay
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »

A majority of representatives have voted and the voting period is ended.

By a vote of 5-1-0-3, this amendment passes.

Debate resumes.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »

What a weird bill. Clearly just trying to elevate real-life pedophilia conspiracy theories into our nice little game here. Not to mention that this stuff is already illegal.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »

Mr.Speaker

There is no bill passed by any congress making the disgusting act of pedophilia illegal federally currently on the books. And also Epstein want to prison for having an island where entire flight logs of rich and famous people did exactly this. Can we just admit that our society has a problem and pass a bill to make them not take part in such disgusting activities. Makes one wonder why anyone would reject to such.

I yield
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »

In Section 3, III. it says all money and property shall be handed over to the victim. The victim's compensation equates the wealth of the criminal. I would suggest the Court set the financial damages. Something like this:

III. All money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individuals shall be handed over to the victims of modern day slavery. Money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individual may be used to pay for damages established by the Court to the victims of modern day slavery.

I didn't copy the whole bill because the last version I see has many modifications and I don't want to play in it and mess up the editing.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »

In Section 3, III. it says all money and property shall be handed over to the victim. The victim's compensation equates the wealth of the criminal. I would suggest the Court set the financial damages. Something like this:

III. All money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individuals shall be handed over to the victims of modern day slavery. Money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individual may be used to pay for damages established by the Court to the victims of modern day slavery.

I didn't copy the whole bill because the last version I see has many modifications and I don't want to play in it and mess up the editing.

I would support this as an amendment.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2020, 09:28:20 PM »

Still in section 3, I have noticed individuals could face the death penalty. I don't think it would be legal according to the third amendment of the fourth constitution.
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Third_Amendment_to_the_Fourth_Constitution
Article I of the Fourth Constitution shall be amended as follows:

"... Section 9. No person accused of crimes under the laws of this Republic, or of the several Regions, shall be compelled to bear witness against himself, nor subjected to excessive bail, nor cruel or unusual punishment. Capital punishment may not be prescribed by a civilian court of law. ..."

So I think II. needs to be amended. I don't know what is the maximum prison sentence in Atlasia that could be a replacement, is life in prison legal?

II. All individuals committing modern day slavery as in the act of human trafficking shall face the death penalty.
   IIa. All individuals found guilty shall be executed by the Atlasia federal prison system within one year of the charge. 
   IIb. One appeal of the charges shall be allowed within this period.

Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »

This is a great amendment and I agree with you about amending the death penalty part.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2020, 12:59:19 AM »

Representatives have 24 hours to object to Poirot's amendment.

So I think II. needs to be amended. I don't know what is the maximum prison sentence in Atlasia that could be a replacement, is life in prison legal?

Life in prison is probably legal, absent any future court cases having to delineate the bounds of "cruel and unusual punishment" as set out in the Constitution. More generally, human trafficking is already on the books in Frémont and in the South (great job, Lincoln!). Frémont has deemed the forms of human trafficking mentioned in this bill to be at least a Class C felony with more severe classes reserved for child trafficking. The Southern statute is without a strictly defined punishment or prescription for conviction, but does have a bunch of restrictions on allowable forms of punishment, none of which cover life imprisonment should we choose to go that route.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2020, 01:39:44 AM »

Seeing no objections, Poirot's amendment is adopted.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »

AN ACT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section 1. Title
I. The long title of this Act shall be the "Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act."

Section 2: Definitions
I. Pedophilia is the act of an adult taking part in sexual activity with a minor under 14 years of age.
II. Human trafficking is the act of modern day slavery against children and adults to be sold to another individual for fiscal interest or sexual favor.

Section 3: Substance
I. Anyone over the age of 18 years of age that's discovered to have had sexual activity with anyone under the age of 14 years of age:
   Ia. This felony charge covering I shall carry 12 years in federal prison.
   Ib. If the minor is below the age of 11 and the offender over 18 years of age shall receive 50 years in federal prison.
II. All individuals committing modern day slavery as in the act of human trafficking shall face the death penalty.
   IIa. All individuals found guilty shall be executed by the Atlasia federal prison system within one year of the charge.  
   IIb. One appeal of the charges shall be allowed within this period.
III. Money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individual may be used to pay for damages established by the Court to the victims of modern day slavery.

Section 4: The promotion of pedophilia is disgusting
I. All content that promotes children under the age of 16 within a sexually expressive way shall be considered a crime within the borders of Atlasia.
II. Promotion of sexual activity or behavior in schools or class activities shall be grounds for the removal of federal funds.
   IIa. This includes books and texts.
   IIb. The Secretary of Education shall have the power to block grants for schools and colleges.
III. A federal ban is to be imposed on all states and regions that pass laws promoting pedophilia or lessening punishments as in seeking leniency towards prison sentences, or moving towards acceptance for this act.

This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2020, 10:11:14 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 01:13:14 PM by Rep Jessica »

I am offering an amendment that removes the minimums and changes it to maximums.
AN ACT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section 1. Title
I. The long title of this Act shall be the "Pedophilia and Human Traffickers are Evil Act."

Section 2: Definitions
I. Pedophilia is the act of an adult taking part in sexual activity with a minor under 14 years of age.
II. Human trafficking is the act of modern day slavery against children and adults to be sold to another individual for fiscal interest or sexual favor.

Section 3: Substance
I. Anyone over the age of 18 years of age that's discovered to have had sexual activity with anyone under the age of 14 years of age:
   Ia. This felony charge covering 3.I shall carry up to 12 years in federal prison.
   Ib. If the minor is below the age of 11 and the offender over 18 years of age shall receive up to 50 years in federal prison.
II. All individuals committing modern day slavery as in the act of human trafficking shall face up to asentence of life in federal prison.

II a. One appeal of the charges shall be allowed within this period.
III. Money within bank accounts and property belonging to such individual may be used to pay for damages established by the Court to the victims of modern day slavery.

Section 4: The promotion of pedophilia is disgusting
I. All content that promotes children under the age of 16 within a sexually expressive way shall be considered a crime within the borders of Atlasia.
II. Promotion of sexual activity or behavior in schools or class activities shall be grounds for the removal of federal funds.
   IIa. This includes books and texts.
   IIb. The Secretary of Education shall have the power to block grants for schools and colleges.
III. A federal ban is to be imposed on all states and regions that pass laws promoting pedophilia or lessening punishments as in seeking leniency towards prison sentences, or moving towards acceptance for this act.

This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2020, 10:26:59 PM »

It's pretty much what I was writing after doing the editing of the two previous amendments so we know where we stand. I was guessing if the sponsor put death penalty and with other sentences of 12 years and 50 years, I was thinking life imprisonment.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 02:14:13 AM »

24 hours to object to Jessica's amendment.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 02:17:08 AM »

Seeing no objections, the amendment is adopted.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »

Right, so as the newest appointed member of the House I'd like to weigh in.

While I'm not against the sanctioning of pedophilia and human trafficking, I'm very concerned about numerous elements within this bill, and about the motivation behind this bill. Specifically, I refer to Section IV - if passed, this would make accurate and informative sex education in schools nearly impossible, and would punish states and regions who try to codify these education requirements into law. Section III is less offensive, but I ultimately believe the regions should be allowed to decide what penalties to impose, especially due to the concerns regarding due process that II.2.a provides.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 12:39:00 AM »

All fair points; I suppose we shall tackle these one at a time.

Does anyone want to take a look at modifying or striking Section 4.II, considering the concerns that OBD has raised? That seems to be the most prominent problem so far (the regional thing requires a bit more consideration that I unfortunately don't possess right now).
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2020, 01:06:17 AM »

All fair points; I suppose we shall tackle these one at a time.

Does anyone want to take a look at modifying or striking Section 4.II, considering the concerns that OBD has raised? That seems to be the most prominent problem so far (the regional thing requires a bit more consideration that I unfortunately don't possess right now).
Agreed. Personally, I lean towards striking Section IV in its entirety, but I'd like to hear what the gentlewoman from Mississippi has to say.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2020, 02:00:47 AM »

I'm not gonna sign this. Would just recommend the house moves for a vote and shoots it down.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2020, 03:05:43 AM »

I'm not gonna sign this. Would just recommend the house moves for a vote and shoots it down.

So you're against a federal law against Pedophilia and Human trafficking. Why?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 03:52:19 AM »

So you're against a federal law against Pedophilia and Human trafficking. Why?
1. I don’t support mandatory minimums
2. Civil forfeiture is bad
3. I don’t support the death penalty
4. As for section 4, it’s such a sh!tshow I don’t even know where to start

If you watered this down to just a condemnation saying “child sex trafficking is bad” yes I’d sign it but I’m willing to just proclaim an awareness day or something instead because that would have the same effect.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 03:07:02 PM »

Mr.Speaker

I disagree with the president as I feel that this nation is in need of a federal law punishing actors that take part in these crimes. Can we override the president?

I yield
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies