Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 100276 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 13, 2021, 11:31:22 PM »

Gonna have some great pancakes for my birthday tommorow
Pancakes are great!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »

You know you are an Atlas poster when you see a video with muons being mentioned in the video title and you think of muon2.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »

I'd actually been wondering recently if you ever broke into the IT field professionally, given all the wonderful work you do around here.

There was a stint out of college. I didn't like it, felt out of place, enough that I said a high starting salary wasn't worth it. I didn't end up continuing.

I feel like I'd do pretty well if I did go back. My work was always given good reviews, but I don't think I'd be happy doing it. I don't even know how I would get my foot back in the door anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Way she go, eh? I hope you've found your calling.
Same.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do tech companies expect people in finance & accounting to use MacBooks!!!!!

None of the usual Excel keyboard shortcuts work. Everything is so unbearably counter-intuitive. I don't understand what any of the icons at the bottom of the screen mean!

MacBooks are fine for HR and tech and marketing but NOT for finance and accounting. Gah!

Yep, I'm gonna b*tch about Apple more. I've been using a brand new MacBook Pro for the past two weeks, and I have had nothing but trouble. First, after getting it set up and downloading all necessary programs, setting up my preferences, etc. I wake up one day and my Mac has crashed and is in an unrecoverable reboot mode. I hand my laptop back into the IT department and get a new MacBook Pro. I go through the set up process for everything all over again. Now today, I get locked out of my Gmail account and have to type in some code into the Command Prompt that tech set me to reset some things, then my mouse indicator freezes, but only on the laptop itself and not the auxiliary screen.

I have never had so much trouble as I have had with Apple products, whether they be laptops or iPods or iPhones. Just constant issues relating to the Apple software or hardware. In all of my years using Windows or Samsung products, I rarely have had more than one major issue per year. The worst part is that with Apple products, the problems are usually with mundane but necessary things that are just so godd*mned irritating, and happen so often. With Windows or Samsung, it's usually just one fairly important thing that can be solved with some patience and work and then we're off again. And usually, I can solve the Windows/Samsung issues on my own; with Apple, I need some kind of advanced tech support.

Even this cheap little ASUS laptop I got for just $600 has served me very well over the past 2.5 years with minimal issues.

I am not sure if I am unusually unlucky or Apple products really are this sh*t (judging from how busy our IT Helpdesk channel is on Slack, I lean more towards the former), but I am just at a loss for words why people say Apple products are good or preferable.

Thank you for reading my anti-Apple screed. Have a pleasant evening.
Condolences. That being said, I can't say I've ever used anything from Apple, (except for Quicktime) and so I can't relate to your plight.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »

I got into my first car accident/fender bender today. Fortunately nobody was hurt but now the front of my car is all scratched up so that might need to get fixed.

A girl smashed my car up today.  It's my third crash since I got my license in 2018.  She came flying round a corner on a country lane and neither of us turned in time.  Like yours luckily nobody was hurt.  She was terribly sorry and I got the impression she thought I was kinda cute but the roadside of a crash just wasn't the time...

I was singing Sparks Fly when the crash happened so I guess the crash was my punishment.
*Benny Hill theme plays*
jokes aside, I hope you sort out the situation soon.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »

Winter is coming...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 02:43:55 PM »

I plan to attend a pro-Ukraine demonstration tomorrow afternoon, which is scheduled to take place in front of the Russian consulate in Stuttgart (capital of my state). Initiators are the youth wings of the SPD, FDP, Greens and CDU as well as the Young European federalists (pro-EU youth organization).
I wish you a great time!
Demonstrations in favor of one's political beliefs are a lifeblood of democracy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 03:11:31 PM »

Because my colleagues see me as the local geopolitical expert I have to spend the day fielding insightful questions like,
"America is ten times more powerful than Russia so why don't they just pop Putin off?"
"Do you think Putin will invade France next?"
"Ukraine's a tiny country so it doesn't really matter does it?"
"Which branch do you think you will be drafted into? I think I would be special forces."
Haha.
Relatable! I told people IRL that Russia would be likely go into Ukraine as well, and also have had to answer questions.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »

I'm thinking of going L-UK for awhile but I'm not sure if I'm cool enough.
You look good with both an L-UK avatar and an R-UK avatar.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 05:25:43 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2022, 05:30:22 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

Fellow Dallas area posters: this is (iirc) the first thunderstorm of the year. Please stay safe.
EDIT: Hail is falling.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 05:21:04 AM »

Spring time in the appalachia!

My own pictures.
[snip]
Nice photos!
I hope you had a great time.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »

Whilst watching acclaimed Home Box Office serial "The Sopranos", I accidentally understood half of one of Irina's Russian-language rants without looking at the subtitles (though I admit I have watched the scene previously). The lessons are paying off!
Nice!
Hopefully both our language learning quests end well, брат!
(yes, I know that word. Didn't have to translate it, though I can't type Cyrillic)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 04:26:48 AM »

Tonight, for the first time in months, I'm going to sleep at peace. Better yet, I'm blessed enough to get to do it in the arms of the woman I love.

What a night I got to share with all of you. Kiki
Thanks! It was a pleasure!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 01:15:07 AM »

Best of luck!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 06:41:36 PM »

On November 1st, at 11:50 AM, my mother passed. I decided to return to this forum in part to distract myself, but she is loved and missed and I couldn’t keep her out of my mind for long. Always in my heart
Condolences.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2022, 06:45:49 PM »

On November 1st, at 11:50 AM, my mother passed. I decided to return to this forum in part to distract myself, but she is loved and missed and I couldn’t keep her out of my mind for long. Always in my heart
Condolences.

Thank you very much.
You're welcome, friend.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 03:24:39 AM »

Last weekend in Armenia. Flying to Moldova on Subday to begin my 12-day journey home.
inb4 you get a O-Moldova avatar for a few days.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 10:48:13 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2022, 11:31:03 AM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

I just got a dream where there was a kitten, but most of it was spent trying to crack Charlottesville (and Albemarle County) into multiple Republican State Senate districts. Specifically one district I had drawn ran all the way to Clarke County.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 04:40:55 AM »

Area man with five years' work experience is turned down for an AmeriCorps posting.

Remaining options: sell out and apply for jobs, flee to Eastern Europe, or apply for analogous but less prestigious AC postings.
Sad!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 10:37:15 PM »

I have no remaining living grandparents. My grandmother on my dad's side passed quietly and peacefully this morning. Her mental state had been deteriorating for a while, we're pretty sure she had a stroke a few weeks/months ago and she'd been having memory issues. I last saw her a couple years ago and my last memory with her was in her apartment having some great local pizza, laughs all around.

I'll miss her, even if I didn't see her much. She passed the most peacefully of all my grandparents. All others died of cancer or complications from it in the case of my grandfather on my mom's side (quite a resilient guy, he was, considering they gave him months to live in the 80s and he made it to 2020)

Death anxiety hitting hard again.
Condolences.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2023, 02:14:41 AM »

Muy fantastico!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2023, 02:16:56 AM »

Just bought my ticket for Talinn, Estonia. The flight includes a 6-7 hour layover in Stockholm, so I'll have a few hours in the decadent West before I descend upon the decadent East. The plan is to go through Talinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, and Krakow on my way down to Przemysl, where the volunteer site is. Assuming I don't have to return to the US for job reasons, I'll be going on from there to Chisinau for additional volunteer activities, and hopefully seeing the other Visegrad states (and a few friends) along the way. The last stop if I remain unencumbered by professional obligations will be a return to the Balkans, to hopefully cross Serbia and Kosovo off my list and also get to spend more time in Croatia, etc.

You might as well just turn into a travel vlogger at this point!
Cathcon and bankrupt
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 11:49:12 PM »

Sitting around a campfire last night, in what might be Anatolia, I finally received the AmeriCorps job offer. May 16 start date, bay-bee.
Congrats!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2023, 07:30:53 AM »

As I am typing this post, it is one degree F above freezing...on March 19.
Why are things this cold? Is there a cold front coming in?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 04:33:31 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2023, 04:55:06 AM by Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

I'll be trying to find workarounds starting this afternoon when my contacts in the US are finally awake, but it looks like aspects of the AmeriCorps documentation and paperwork will require my presence back in the States within only a few days. As such, as sad as I am to say it, I've already found a likely Turkish Airlines flight from Pristina back to Detroit via Istanbul and JFK for tomorrow morning. I had hoped to at least grab a few days in Montenegro before returning, if not squeezing in a whole 'nother volunteer experience and seeing a few friends on the return journey.  Cry This is only my second trip abroad, but I've gotten used to the idea that I can pick and choose destinations based on interest and available cash reserves, and given the real lack of vacation days with AmeriCorps it'll be my last time in a foreign country until about a year from now or later.
Sad to hear.
But don't be sad it ended, be happy it happened. I hope you enjoyed it all.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies