South Carolina, 90%'s for the Democrats throughout history (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:24:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  South Carolina, 90%'s for the Democrats throughout history (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina, 90%'s for the Democrats throughout history  (Read 3299 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 02, 2006, 08:05:43 PM »

Party politics got a late start here.  We didn't start making any elections officially partisan until the 1850's.  Our weak executive branch made the case for a statewide party weak. Then the Civil War and Reconstruction caused our politics to be polarized by the issues of race and sectionalism, so that once Tillman caused the blacks and Yankees to be disenfranchised in the 1890's, the voters who were left were monolithically Democratic.  Our election laws still carry remnants from when the Democrats did their best to hamper the Republicans.  For instance, I think we may be the only State that requires the parties to pay the cost of holding primaries.  I don't think the Republicans held a primary in South Carolina until the 1970's as a result, and used county conventions instead as they were cheaper, tho they were far less effective in helping to get out the vote.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »

If you know what the result will be, why vote?  I suspect that the turnout was higher for the Demicratic primaries than the general election in the first haf of the 20th century.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies