Describe a Remain voter who voted Tory afterward
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:44:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Remain voter who voted Tory afterward
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Remain voter who voted Tory afterward  (Read 447 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2020, 06:18:48 AM »

How would describe a person who voted Remain initially but now voted Tory 100% of the time?
Coastal_Elite
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -7.48

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 09:18:36 AM »

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »

In one word? Posh.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »

A wealthy man educated at a posh school who works in the City for an international finance firm, and has voted for the Tories his whole life, before and after Brexit.

Fine with the EU out of personal self-interest, but is too well off and "in too deep" so to speak to ever consider leaving the Tories.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »

Most of them, upper-middle-class suburban resident of somewhere like Surrey. Owns a property and sends his kids to a private school or very good state school. Post-graduate  or at least masters degree. Voted Remain and swings between Tory/Lib-dem. Couldn't risk having Corbyn in Number 10 and voted Tory.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »

Most of them, upper-middle-class suburban resident of somewhere like Surrey. Owns a property and sends his kids to a private school or very good state school. Post-graduate  or at least masters degree. Voted Remain and swings between Tory/Lib-dem. Couldn't risk having Corbyn in Number 10 and voted Tory.

Yeah, I have a feeling plenty of Remainers, especially upper middle class ones like the person you describe, would prefer a Hard Brexit over Corbyn becoming PM.
Kyng
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »

My mum fits into this category, although her 2019 vote in particular was very much an anti-Corbyn vote rather than a pro-Boris one. (She really didn't like Boris, but felt that Corbyn hadn't provided a realistic and credible alternative).

I myself don't fit into this category, but I did seriously consider voting Tory in 2017, because we were in the middle of delicate Brexit negotiations and I didn't want us to change horses in midstream. In the end, I couldn't bring myself to do it after seeing how awful the 2017 Tory manifesto was (and I didn't even consider voting Tory in 2019: that was just a non-starter for me by then). However, I can imagine people like myself fitting this pattern, if they were less disgusted by that manifesto and stuck with my original line of thinking.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 06:23:01 PM »

Jewish, strongly supportive of Zionism and lives in a seat with a weak Lib Dem presence.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 12:49:21 PM »

Wealthy, educated, urban. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Imagine living in a country where people actually vote according to their economic interests and not according to culture war red meat. What a concept.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »

In 2017, 25% of Remainers voted Tory, so this was one in four remain voters, in 2019 however this number dipped to 19%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 04:24:49 PM »

Wealthy, educated, urban. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Imagine living in a country where people actually vote according to their economic interests and not according to culture war red meat. What a concept.

That's not really the case in the UK nowadays though. Think of all the people who voted Tory in places like Sedgefield and Bishop Auckland.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »

This wasn't even that rare? About 1/3 of 2015 Tory Voters voted to remain. Obviously, the share would have changed since the referendum, but I still don't think pro-Remain Tories would have at all been rare.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies