Orthodox Jews: Trump +70
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Orthodox Jews: Trump +70
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Orthodox Jews: Trump +70  (Read 2393 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 11:21:02 PM »
« edited: October 15, 2020, 11:24:53 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Modern Orthodox clearly swung massively towards Clinton in 2016 and clearly voted for her. Even though there are far more Haredim than Modern Orthodox, the former are very skewed towards the young and vote at lower rates. It's not clear at all to me how "Orthodox Jews" voted as a whole in 2016, even if we can say a lot about how particular neighborhoods voted.

I think it's likely that Modern Orthodox swing massively to Trump, given that Bannon is gone and he's a good soldier for Israel but this is only electoral trivia and has no bearing on what happens in swing states due to where they live. Haredim already voted en bloc for Trump and will do so again. This doesn't matter.

I'm certainly interested in knowing if Modern Orthodox are angry at Cuomo for discriminating against the Haredim in public pronouncements. I have no idea what they'd think about this. It seems pretty clear that Reform and Conservative Jews loathe the Haredim and wish them the worst in life.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 11:25:19 PM »

As a Jew myself, it pains me that fellow Jews may be overwhelmingly backing the dude who couldn't even bring himself to confirm that David Duke is indeed an asshole.

I mean, c'mon!

But he moved a building in Israel!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »

Modern Orthodox clearly swung massively towards Clinton in 2016 and clearly voted for her. Even though there are far more Haredim than Modern Orthodox, the former are very skewed towards the young and vote at lower rates. It's not clear at all to me how "Orthodox Jews" voted as a whole in 2016, even if we can say a lot about how particular neighborhoods voted.

I think it's likely that Modern Orthodox swing massively to Trump, given that Bannon is gone and he's a good soldier for Israel but this is only electoral trivia and has no bearing on what happens in swing states due to where they live. Haredim already voted en bloc for Trump and will do so again. This doesn't matter.

I'm certainly interested in knowing if Modern Orthodox are angry at Cuomo for discriminating against the Haredim in public pronouncements. I have no idea what they'd think about this. It seems pretty clear that Reform and Conservative Jews loathe the Haredim and wish them the worst in life.

That's a bit unfair. We just want them to wear some damn masks and recognize how Trump has enabled antisemitism.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »

As a Jew myself, it pains me that fellow Jews may be overwhelmingly backing the dude who couldn't even bring himself to confirm that David Duke is indeed an asshole.

I mean, c'mon!

But he moved a building in Israel!

Well, the people who worked in that buildung anyway.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 01:57:24 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2020, 02:02:32 AM by Horus »

That's a bit unfair. We just want them to wear some damn masks and recognize how Trump has enabled antisemitism.

Nah, they're too far gone at this point. I don't hate them per se but they're in another world and are completely antithetical to American values. No room for dissent or free thought in their ranks.

Look at what they did to this poor man who was trying to report on their dangerous ways. He was Hasidic as well but they didn't care. It's a cult and increasingly a violent one.

www.haaretz.com/amp/jewish/leader-of-haredi-anti-lockdown-new-york-protests-to-be-arrested-for-inciting-a-riot-1.9225910
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »

My family is Orthodox Jewish, although not ultra-religious. They are much more supportive of Trump this year than they were in 2016.

Just curious, why? Is it the embassy thing? The naked islamophobia? Serious question.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »

My family is Orthodox Jewish, although not ultra-religious. They are much more supportive of Trump this year than they were in 2016.

Just curious, why? Is it the embassy thing? The naked islamophobia? Serious question.

They are really worried about “the radical left”. Also Israel.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »

Ah. Let me guess. The type of Jews who feel " uncomfortable" and personally threatened by BLM marches? "Remember Crown Heights!" types?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 03:52:01 PM »

Ah. Let me guess. The type of Jews who feel " uncomfortable" and personally threatened by BLM marches? "Remember Crown Heights!" types?

Yeah. In fact, they actually feel sympathy for him because of the way the media covers him.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2020, 12:34:35 PM »

Is that a Gadsen flag in that picture?
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 05:47:09 AM »

What is it about Orthodox Jews that makes them SO Republican? Are they very socially conservative?

Yeah. They’re not the topics of discussion every time they go to shul but they tend to be pro-life, they aren’t too big on gay rights (they don’t hate gays, but they tend to think they shouldn’t “show it off” and should keep it in their homes or clubs), they almost never have interfaith marriages, tend to support private schooling, I can go on really.
TheLaRocca
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2020, 03:29:24 PM »

Not a big surprise.  Will be interesting to see precinct-level swings in Haredi-heavy parts of Brooklyn. 

Already vote 80+% GOP.
Hollywood
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »

Cuomo and de Blasio went from treating Hasidim as public enemy #1 for holding public gatherings to encouraging BLM marches within a matter of days without even reversing their position on the former.

I've always agreed with most of the complaints - the harassment of woman who walk through the wrong neighborhoods unaccompanied, the interference with public schools, etc. - but the pandemic response showed just how quickly the scapegoating begins in any crisis. De Blasio's tweet about "the Jewish community" was just stupid, but it's hard to fault anyone for resenting that treatment.

This moment shook a lot of Jewish communities across the country, especially when they looked back at the way the ultraorthodox were treated in relation to Antifa and BLM rioters.  It was very reminiscent of anti-Semetism tactics used by the Social Democrats and Marxists in the early 1900s. 
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »

Cuomo and de Blasio went from treating Hasidim as public enemy #1 for holding public gatherings to encouraging BLM marches within a matter of days without even reversing their position on the former.

I've always agreed with most of the complaints - the harassment of woman who walk through the wrong neighborhoods unaccompanied, the interference with public schools, etc. - but the pandemic response showed just how quickly the scapegoating begins in any crisis. De Blasio's tweet about "the Jewish community" was just stupid, but it's hard to fault anyone for resenting that treatment.

This moment shook a lot of Jewish communities across the country, especially when they looked back at the way the ultraorthodox were treated in relation to Antifa and BLM rioters.  It was very reminiscent of anti-Semetism tactics used by the Social Democrats and Marxists in the early 1900s. 

When were Social Democrats anti-Semitic?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies