Who won the final Presidential debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:27:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who won the final Presidential debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Poll
Question: skip
Joe Biden (D)

Donald Trump (R)

Tie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 255

Author Topic: Who won the final Presidential debate?  (Read 9496 times)
forsythvoter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2020, 08:46:28 AM »

I actually thought Biden's answer on oil was pretty sensible. He said we will gradually transition to renewable based energy sources over time, which frankly is what economics will make happen over the longer term since the price of renewable energy will get cheaper over time while the supply of oil will decline because it's a finite resource. He's not going to and doesn't need to limit oil drilling to make this happen.

The framing of 'destroying the oil industry' probably isn't helpful but yeah. There's far worse issues for Republicans to waste their time on in the next week and a half.

The interesting thing is, regardless of how the public might perceive it, the campaigns/pundits are going to call it a gaffe and a risk. Kendra Horn has already distanced herself from it. In one sense Biden has gaffe'd himself into a position which is... not unpopular?
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »

Hillary Clinton won all her debates. Al Gore won all his debates. These debates don’t really matter anymore. We’re not in the age of Nixon and Kennedy.

The better question is did Trump do well enough for people to be ok with voting for him.

You can't have of both ways.
Either the debates matter enough for Trump to have a positive moment or nobody cares and Trump performance doesn't change one thing.

It’s not both ways. You’re looking at the debate as a binary thing but it’s not. It’s Trump pulpit to tell Traditionalists in the rust belt that it’s ok to vote for him. Trump is not trying to make a pitch to the country, he’s making a pitch to his base to come out and vote for him. That’s the rub—did he make a convincing argument for the blue avatars that voting for him is in their best interests.

That’s what the red avatars on this forum fail to understand. This election isn’t how popular Biden is. He’s literally Vanilla and the most generic politician to run on a ticket since I’ve been alive. The question is how toxic is Trump for white working class males and suburban women. The only demographics that matter in this election is white working class voters. They broke hard for Trump last election, will they do so again?

So, the debates mattered. How Trump performed during the debate mattered.
What he said and how he said it could make a difference. That is your argument.
Without the debate that pitch would be far more difficult to make. So the debates matter.

I think many people know this is a referendum on Trump. Most reelection campaigns are. Nothing new here. It's why the Trump wanted it change it with the Hunter Biden story. And he failed.

In 2016 the election was about Hillary. And she lost. 2020 is about Trump. And he is losing. Because nobody, outside of the cult, really likes him.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2020, 09:35:15 AM »

I watched live the last part and thought it was a tie. Fracking sucks
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »

@politics_polls tweeted a poll with 275,000 votes and Trump is winning 67% to 33%.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »

@politics_polls tweeted a poll with 275,000 votes and Trump is winning 67% to 33%.

Twitter polls don't merit discussion.
Turbo Flame

« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »

Joe Biden and that performance was the one I was looking for.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2020, 12:03:28 PM »

I think Trump did more to sway swing voters, as well as reassure his base. His consistent line of "47 years" was effective. That being said, this question on here is basically "who do you support" for the vast majority of people.

Bigger winner was the American people because they finally got a good, substantive debate. Also, Kristen Welker did a great job.
This. Atlas has a preponderance of dems voting on every poll, but I doubt anyone who didn't already hate Trump picked Biden. It wasn't a blowout, but this was Trump's most disciplined performance and more substantive for voters than the disaster that was debate #1.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »

I think Trump did more to sway swing voters, as well as reassure his base. His consistent line of "47 years" was effective. That being said, this question on here is basically "who do you support" for the vast majority of people.

Bigger winner was the American people because they finally got a good, substantive debate. Also, Kristen Welker did a great job.
This. Atlas has a preponderance of dems voting on every poll, but I doubt anyone who didn't already hate Trump picked Biden. It wasn't a blowout, but this was Trump's most disciplined performance and more substantive for voters than the disaster that was debate #1.

I'll have to agree, despite probably disagreeing on who won this was probably the best debate we've had since 2012.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »

Biden.

He was poised and articulate and he landed a few really good jabs.

Trump was unhinged as usual. He needed a knockout win and he didn't get it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »

Joe Biden, because he presented a vision for the future and didn't tell lie after lie. In all fairness, Trump lost by a smaller "margin" than last time since he actually got his act together and didn't behave as a bully. However, he still was making tons of false claims and made stuff up as usual. Joe Biden did have smaller inaccuracies, but it was a very solid performance. Trump did land the point on criminal justice, where I wish Biden would have defended his record better, but overall Trump didn't offer much. He needed a decisive win, but didn't get one. In the end, nothing fundamentally changes on this race.
Phenix621
Rookie
United States

« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2020, 02:39:00 PM »

So, the debates mattered. How Trump performed during the debate mattered.
What he said and how he said it could make a difference. That is your argument.
Without the debate that pitch would be far more difficult to make. So the debates matter.

I think many people know this is a referendum on Trump. Most reelection campaigns are. Nothing new here. It's why the Trump wanted it change it with the Hunter Biden story. And he failed.

In 2016 the election was about Hillary. And she lost. 2020 is about Trump. And he is losing. Because nobody, outside of the cult, really likes him.

My mistake. What I meant to say the "winner" of the debate doesn't matter. Biden can score all the talking point victories and be the most sensible one there, but this election comes down to Trump and if people feel he is not the better choice, but if he's the WORSE choice.

Sure there is the enthusiastic Trump voter. But there are alot of them that are not, but there are plenty like Romney that will still vote Republican. Trump's debate performance is to reassure those tepid supporters.

Trump doesn't need to win the debate. He just needs to show that he's somewhat competent. Which compared two his previous debate, he clearly did.

Democrats hate the police, want to steal your money, and give it to POC who have never work for it, take away your guns, hate Jesus.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it plays REALLY WELL in the battleground states.

To add insult to injury, the one thing that Trump beats Biden is on the economy. Trump being tough on China, having a more isolationist/insular economy plays well in the battlegrounds.

C'mon red avatars, you need to step out the echo chambers where you live. This election is going to be super close. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies