Barrett declined to answer whether abortion should be punishable by death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Barrett declined to answer whether abortion should be punishable by death
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barrett declined to answer whether abortion should be punishable by death  (Read 972 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2020, 01:26:40 PM »

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 02:23:31 PM »

Because deciding what laws "should be" is a job for legislators. Judges are supposed to decide what the laws ARE.

"It is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is. Those who apply the rule to particular cases, must of necessity expound and interpret that rule." —Chief Justice John Marshall, for the Supreme Court in Mardison v. Marbury.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:46:34 PM »

Lol, we as males should get off the abortion talk, we use protect to protect from STDs and HIV and the female uses birth control or adoptions if she is left without a father. It's higher risk for females to catch AIDs than men and if she wants to be at risk, then she won't like results
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »

As far as Roe is concerned, couldn't a Democratic trifecta just pass a law protecting Roe in the same way states have pro choice laws on the books in the event Roe gets overturned? In that case, SCOTUS would have to not only overturn Roe, but state that all abortions are unconstitutional nationwide. Sure, the GOP could just repeal it once they have a trifecta, but it would, at least preserve Roe until that point and we can also hope demographics make it impossible for a future GOP trifecta to repeal it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:38:22 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2020, 03:45:38 PM by #proudtikitorchmarcher »

As far as Roe is concerned, couldn't a Democratic trifecta just pass a law protecting Roe in the same way states have pro choice laws on the books in the event Roe gets overturned? In that case, SCOTUS would have to not only overturn Roe, but state that all abortions are unconstitutional nationwide. Sure, the GOP could just repeal it once they have a trifecta, but it would, at least preserve Roe until that point and we can also hope demographics make it impossible for a future GOP trifecta to repeal it.

Well SCOTUS could merely state that a national requirement for abortion to be legal would not be constitutional and the issue of abortion would be left upto the states. Imagine if the feds legalized weed, that would merely just remove federal penalties but it could be a statewide crime. Democrats could however make certain funding,contingent on abortion being legal in that state, although that probably won't go over great and I expect pro life states to be forced by the primary electorate to give up the funding.

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 03:45:51 PM »

Leaving aside everything, the jokes and concern really write themselves with ACB.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

Because deciding what laws "should be" is a job for legislators. Judges are supposed to decide what the laws ARE.

"It is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is. Those who apply the rule to particular cases, must of necessity expound and interpret that rule." —Chief Justice John Marshall, for the Supreme Court in Mardison v. Marbury.

Ironic considering Marshall was basically making up laws and granting himself powers that were never explicitly granted to SCOTUS by the Constitution or any other legislation in that case.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 05:07:04 PM »

Ironic considering Marshall was basically making up laws and granting himself powers that were never explicitly granted to SCOTUS by the Constitution or any other legislation in that case.

This is bad history and bad law.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »

As I said before it's a risk nowadays to get HIV or Herpes if you have unprotected sex and females are put in greater danger than men for HIV, but Herpes is still incurable for males. The right thing to do if you don't want to have a baby with that person, even moreso in Covid is to use protection. Unwedded babies causes much more than abortions

That's why voters see a declining issue of abortion as a top issue they want to vote for
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 09:55:22 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2020, 09:58:58 PM by Scott🕷️ »

Despite demographic changes, America is going the way of Poland and not the way of New Zealand or Sweden. Thanks to an increasingly reactionary court and Democrats who are scared to vote for expanding the court - if Democrats take the Senate by the skin of their teeth. The 2020's are not going to be a progressive era in the United States, and leftists need to start prioritizing change from the ground-up to mitigate the inevitable damage to come. Maybe climate change will get certain people to wake up.

Or Jesus comes back and saves us from this Orwellian nightmare. That would be nice too.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »

It’s her job to say it would be unconstitutional
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 12:42:15 AM »

Abortion and ACB has gotten more threads on this board than anything else, relax, it's not going away, it's gonna get severely restricted, I don't understand this female procedure by D's males are so anxious

It's too much
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 07:27:27 AM »

Abortion and ACB has gotten more threads on this board than anything else, relax, it's not going away, it's gonna get severely restricted, I don't understand this female procedure by D's males are so anxious

It's too much
Men don't like paying chikd support, and if they are good men, they feel obligated to not become deadbeat dads.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 07:34:08 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2020, 07:37:20 AM by Chocolate Thunder »

It's too much
Men don't like paying chikd support, and if they are good men, they feel obligated to not become deadbeat dads.

There's other reasons to be concerned about abortion being made illegal other than whether or not the police shut down the clinic.

Though I say to this, if abortion were made illegal and it became clear it wouldn't be made legal again for decades or even in our lifetime, I would then favor making child support collectable going back to the time the father had sex with the mother.

Another good law is to make the father a co-conspirator in the abortion unless he tried to report in time to stop or he personally tried to stop it himself through LEGAL means. If your born child dies and you didn't know where they are or you had lost them, is that a crime?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »

It's too much

lol, I'm so glad I'm never going to be within ten feet of a vagina.

My mom was friends with this guy who knocked up some girl he met at a bar during a one-night stand. He paid for that with eighteen years of raising the bastard which eventually caused him to turn to drinking. Which is sad, but I also don't understand why more guys don't just terminate their parenting rights if they don't want anything to do with the thing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »

It's too much

My mom was friends with this guy who knocked up some girl he met at a bar during a one-night stand. He paid for that with eighteen years of raising the bastard which eventually caused him to turn to drinking. Which is sad, but I also don't understand why more guys don't just terminate their parenting rights if they don't want anything to do with the thing.

You can’t unilaterally abandon your child.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 12:44:55 PM »

It's too much

You can’t unilaterally abandon your child.

You can terminate your parenting rights at any time. Forced parenthood is rape, whether it's being imposed on the mother or father.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »

No you can't lol, you have a duty to care for the child once it is born, whether through custody or child support.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »

No you can't lol, you have a duty to care for the child once it is born, whether through custody or child support.

Parental rights can be terminated in very few situations, including:

No relationship: If the noncustodial parent has no relationship with his or her child at all, the custodial parent may seek to remove the noncustodial parent's rights. If the courts find a history of abandonment and no history of child support payments, the relationship may be terminated.

Adoption: A stepparent adoption can only take place if the birth parent agrees to terminate his or her parental rights, or has those rights terminated by the court.

Abuse or neglect: The parent must be such a danger to the child's physical, mental or emotional health that he or she must be removed from the child's life completely. This is extreme, and usually requires months or years to decide on. All other alternatives must be tried first.
https://www.calgaryfamilylawassociates.com/Custody-Access-and-Parenting-Arrangements/Termination-of-Parental-Rights.shtml

So I'll amend what I said: fathers can terminate their parenting rights, but only if it is early on and they have no relationship with the child. The right to a financial abortion should be no less important than the right to a physical abortion.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »

No relationship: If the noncustodial parent has no relationship with his or her child at all, the custodial parent may seek to remove the noncustodial parent's rights. If the courts find a history of abandonment and no history of child support payments, the relationship may be terminated.

Adoption: A stepparent adoption can only take place if the birth parent agrees to terminate his or her parental rights, or has those rights terminated by the court.

Abuse or neglect: The parent must be such a danger to the child's physical, mental or emotional health that he or she must be removed from the child's life completely. This is extreme, and usually requires months or years to decide on. All other alternatives must be tried first.
https://www.calgaryfamilylawassociates.com/Custody-Access-and-Parenting-Arrangements/Termination-of-Parental-Rights.shtml

So I'll amend what I said: fathers can terminate their parenting rights, but only if it is early on and they have no relationship with the child. The right to a financial abortion should be no less important than the right to a physical abortion.

The right to them should be equal.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »

The right to them should be equal.

Glad we agree.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »

bruh why didn't ExtremeRepublican tell us he got nominated for the Supreme Court
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »

Sounds like a Canadian thing. Generally not applicable to American law. By and large, you father a child, you're legally an economically responsible for it so they turn 18. It can be terminated under certain circumstances, but very much the exception to the rule
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies