Trump is considering firing Wray after the election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:13:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump is considering firing Wray after the election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump is considering firing Wray after the election  (Read 2207 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2020, 07:55:17 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »

This has to be impeachable too if he acts on it, right? Of course, it wouldn't really matter if he loses-but still, this is not normal or healthy for our nation. Not that Trump cares.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »

Looks like we don't have to worry about Wray pulling anything like Comey did. Hopefully it's true that Barr is also holding out on Trump. I still doubt that Barr's shenanigans would be considered trustworthy by the media at large or enough voters to matter, but I'd rather it not be a factor.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 08:01:39 PM »

The Comey letter was political weapon by Trump which is proof, but Trump is corrupted as well.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »

I hope James Comey is haunted for the rest of this day for causing this nightmare.

F—king moron. Couldn’t even wait a few days to realize oh, there actually isn’t anything new here. The fact that people (including Trump) now EXPECT something like what he dis to happen again just goes to show how much his actions degraded American democracy.

And what was his reward for it all? Getting fired. Useful idiot who didn’t even realize he was being used. He and his precious Boy Scout “principles” nearly destroyed this country.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »

And what was his reward for it all? Getting fired. Useful idiot who didn’t even realize he was being used. He and his precious Boy Scout “principles” nearly destroyed this country.

Or he was a Republican who wanted Clinton to lose.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »

I'm not so sure about that, I think he overestimated the ability of Americans to not care so much about the email scandal. Clearly, he was wrong. Actually, overestimating the American public was basically the theme of the 2016 election.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 08:22:33 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2020, 08:34:08 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

I'm not so sure about that, I think he overestimated the ability of Americans to not care so much about the email scandal. Clearly, he was wrong. Actually, overestimating the American public was basically the theme of the 2016 election.

No, pretty sure he was a Republican who wanted Clinton to lose.

Remember the partisan hit-job that was his announcement that the FBI wasn't recommending any charges to be brought but she had basically committed crimes anyway?
JG

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »

Yes. I am convinced he knew what he was doing and what effect it would have on the race.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 08:27:18 PM »

I hope James Comey is haunted for the rest of this day for causing this nightmare.

F—king moron. Couldn’t even wait a few days to realize oh, there actually isn’t anything new here. The fact that people (including Trump) now EXPECT something like what he dis to happen again just goes to show how much his actions degraded American democracy.

Agreed. His words since he's been fired mean less than nothing; he is partially responsible for the swing in the final days of the campaign that helped elect a fascist. The media is also partially responsible for hyping up the "re-opening" in the final days of the campaign. Shameful on all sides, especially when everyone knew the consequences.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »

Lol at the people in this thread who unironically believe Comey wanted... *checks notes* ... Donald Trump(!) to be President.

Sure, Jan.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 08:33:13 PM »

if Wray is fired and trump loses, who would Biden appoint.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 08:33:34 PM »

Lol at the people in this thread who unironically believe Comey wanted... *checks notes* ... Donald Trump(!) to be President.

Sure, Jan.

In 2016? Why wouldn't he? Republicans despise the Clintons. Comey was deputy special counsel in the Whitewater investigation for God's sake. 
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 08:33:57 PM »

Sure, Jan.

I don't think Comey wanted Trump to be president, I think he believed Hillary's election was inevitable and that it would be a good thing to kneecap her administration before it started.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »

Yes. I am convinced he knew what he was doing and what effect it would have on the race.

He's explained this many times. He had already told Congress the the investigation was closed. If they found wrongdoing in the e-mails after the election then it would damage the FBI's credibility since they had already announced it was close. He thought Hilary was going to win anyway. There were other agents in the room when they were debating what to do. None of them have contradicted his claims. He sent a letter to Congress that it was reopened. Nothing was announced publicly. That's on Congress.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »

Trump should be immediately impeached and prosecuted for abuse of power. He is a unstable deranged lunatic and a danger to liberal democracy.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »

Comey was a Republican donor.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:48 PM »

Sure, Jan.

I don't think Comey wanted Trump to be president, I think he believed Hillary's election was inevitable and that it would be a good thing to kneecap her administration before it started.

That's really how I look at it too. What is it they say though? "Assuming makes an ass out of you and me."
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »

At the rate Trump is firing people, who will be left and what quality of person will they be? This is why I always entertained the outlandish idea of Trump being a Russian plant, he hasn't made a single American institution stronger. If I was a hack spy novel author I couldn't write a more obvious saboteur than this Trump figure.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 08:43:27 PM »

He's explained this many times. He had already told Congress the the investigation was closed. If they found wrongdoing in the e-mails after the election then it would damage the FBI's credibility since they had already announced it was close. He thought Hilary was going to win anyway. There were other agents in the room when they were debating what to do. None of them have contradicted his claims. He sent a letter to Congress that it was reopened. Nothing was announced publicly. That's on Congress.

The investigation wasn't reopened though. Comey in his letter obfuscated to make it seem as if it was being reopened when in fact it wasn't. And of course it would have taken Comey and the FBI about 15 minutes to check the content of the "newly discovered" emails anyway. It was entirely political.

Sure, Jan.

This would make sense if a few duplicate emails found via Anthony Weiner would kneecap an administration. But if you know you have a nothingburger and decide to present it anyway, the only possible goal is short term benefit, i.e. affecting the election.  
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »

The investigation wasn't reopened though. Comey in his letter obfuscated to make it seem as if it was being reopened when in fact it wasn't. And of course it would have taken Comey and the FBI about 15 minutes to check the content of the "newly discovered" emails anyway. It was entirely political.

It was effectively reopened, fine. There were hundreds of thousands of emails to go through. That doesn't take 15 minutes. They had to write a program to filter it enough to get it done in a week.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure threatening to fire the FBI director days before the election because he won't open an investigation of your opponent is going to go over really well with voters.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »

if Wray is fired and trump loses, who would Biden appoint.

Maybe Patrick Fitzgerald? Complete speculation, though.

Sure, Jan.

In 2016? Why wouldn't he? Republicans despise the Clintons. Comey was deputy special counsel in the Whitewater investigation for God's sake.

Counterpoint: Comey specifically (& very evidently!) doesn't like Trump, but his decision to disclose the information regarding newly-discovered emails was done because his hand was forced by the MAGA faction within the organization that were prepared to mutiny & leak it themselves (which is why Rudy knew before it was ever public). His decision was done to protect the institution of the FBI as a whole in order to prevent its discreditation as a politically-motivated body which had lost command of & control over its lower offices. At the time, Hillary was being given absurd chances to win of 99+%, & it was reasonable for Comey to have believed that disclosing the investigation's temporary re-opening (& yes, that's what it was) - while potentially deleterious to her candidacy - would never have possibly cost her the election.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 08:53:45 PM »

It was effectively reopened, fine. There were hundreds of thousands of emails to go through. That doesn't take 15 minutes. They had to write a program to filter it enough to get it done in a week.

Comey's testimony on this was inaccurate. They only had a handful to check.

Update, May 9, 2017: On Tuesday, the FBI sent a letter to Congress correcting inaccurate congressional testimony by Director James Comey, six days after he mischaracterized what the FBI discovered on Anthony Weiner’s laptop. The bureau addressed the matter in a two-page letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee from its congressional liaison, explaining that it was “intended to supplement” Comey’s testimony, by providing “the full context of what was reviewed and found on the laptop.”

In it, the FBI acknowledged that only a “small number” of more than 49,000 “potentially relevant” emails found on Weiner’s laptop had been forwarded from Clinton deputy Huma Abedin to Weiner, her husband, not hundreds or thousands as Comey had stated. The FBI said just two of those messages contained classified information.

Either way, I can search the contents of my Gmail folder in 3 seconds. The FBI slow walked it because the election was a week away.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2020, 09:04:56 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Counterpoint: Comey specifically (& very evidently!) doesn't like Trump, but his decision to disclose the information regarding newly-discovered emails was done because his hand was forced by the MAGA faction within the organization that were prepared to mutiny & leak it themselves (which is why Rudy knew before it was ever public). His decision was done to protect the institution of the FBI as a whole in order to prevent its discreditation as a politically-motivated body which had lost command of & control over its lower offices. At the time, Hillary was being given absurd chances to win of 99+%, & it was reasonable for Comey to have believed that disclosing the investigation's temporary re-opening (& yes, that's what it was) - while potentially deleterious to her candidacy - would never have possibly cost her the election.

If Comey wanted to go public to protect the integrity of the FBI then his letter should have been accurate. Instead it deliberately obfuscated on the content of the emails and on whether an investigation was being reopened in order to give partisan ammunition to Trump in the election.

If his primary concern was to protect the integrity of the FBI then he should have known that it would have damaged its reputation far more to make a partisan intervention into an election by writing an dissimulating letter to Congress in the knowledge that they had nothing on Clinton than just letting the leaks happen.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies