PureSpectrum/COVID-19 Consortium: Biden +10% and 50 states+DC (wins with an odd 413 map)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:43:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  PureSpectrum/COVID-19 Consortium: Biden +10% and 50 states+DC (wins with an odd 413 map)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PureSpectrum/COVID-19 Consortium: Biden +10% and 50 states+DC (wins with an odd 413 map)  (Read 1767 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »

The topline number looks fine, but it's never a good idea to assume you can break a national poll down into states. Also its a month and a half old.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 08:11:04 PM »

The topline number looks fine, but it's never a good idea to assume you can break a national poll down into states. Also its a month and a half old.

It's not normally a good idea, I'll agree, but they claim to have weighted for individual states.

This is now my favourite take on what "the 413 map" really means. When Biden said "return to normalcy," we just didn't appreciate how far he intended to reverse trends.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »

Very possible. To Biden friendly in the midwest tho.

Winning the Dakotas while losing Iowa? Only winning Hawaii by 3 points? I think not.

It's probably better data than SurveyMonkey but not by much at the state level, given the small sample sizes.

The Survey Monkey numbers actually seem far more plausible to me. If someone told me their numbers were the final results, or that they were from a higher quality pollster, I would not be surprised at all.

They're plausible in bulk but individual results can be very odd. Their LV results consistently have Biden down by only about 6% in Nebraska. That is shocking and I'd have expected more statewide polling if the sorts of shifts necessary for that to happen were really going on.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »

Imagine if this actually ends up being the map? That would be hilarious
Even in this map, the Senate would still be safe Republican.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 08:15:16 PM »

Wat

The Senate is Likely Democratic NOW.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:39 PM »

Biden's winning the AZ, CO, and NC, and therefore Ds would likely win those 3 races. Biden would be winning TX, AK, and GA by enough to get Dems across the finish line in those races. There's also a  really good chance Bullock wins too, just with a slight overperformance.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »

Winning the Dakotas while losing Iowa? Only winning Hawaii by 3 points? I think not.

It's probably better data than SurveyMonkey but not by much at the state level, given the small sample sizes.

The Survey Monkey numbers actually seem far more plausible to me. If someone told me their numbers were the final results, or that they were from a higher quality pollster, I would not be surprised at all.

They're plausible in bulk but individual results can be very odd. Their LV results consistently have Biden down by only about 6% in Nebraska. That is shocking and I'd have expected more statewide polling if the sorts of shifts necessary for that to happen were really going on.

Well they’re pretty much the only ones polling Nebraska so hard to say. For what it’s worth, Morning Consult tracker consistently found Trump with a pretty medicore approval rating in Nebraska, something I found interesting. Plus, it’s not really that different from Kansas, and everyone seems to agree that’s swung left.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »

Well they’re pretty much the only ones polling Nebraska so hard to say. For what it’s worth, Morning Consult tracker consistently found Trump with a pretty medicore approval rating in Nebraska, something I found interesting. Plus, it’s not really that different from Kansas, and everyone seems to agree that’s swung left.

Democrats haven't really had the same kind of success in NE they've had in KS recently. I think the lack of other polls here speaks for itself - there could well be a Democratic trend, but I doubt it's anywhere near that strong or else we would probably have seen serious recruitment in the Senate election as opposed to the primary that produced Janicek and an abandoned write-in bid from one of the biggest names in the Nebraska Democratic Party. Sasse seems like the sort of incumbent who could be vulnerable were his state not titanium R (which it is).

There was one NE-01 poll from Kate Bolz's campaign in July and there could be an upset there, but with a +6% margin statewide, I'd have expected her campaign to be publishing more surveys too.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »

Wat

The Senate is Tilt Republican in my opinion. There is too much ticket-splitting in Maine, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina, which will doom the Democrats and allow Mitch McConnell to carry out his dirty tricks until at least 2026.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 08:50:01 PM »

In this map if there were no states that ended up voting for different parties at the senate and presidential level the result would be a 55-45 D majority.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 01:05:28 AM »

I can see Alaska in play; Texas definitely is. Biden obviously will win Iowa before he wins Alaska or either Dakota.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2020, 04:16:19 AM »

If Biden wins the Dakotas he'll also win IA, MT, ME, IN, UT, KS, SC, MO and maybe AR and LA too. If Trump wins Maine-at-Large then he'll win PA, MI, OH, WI, IA, MN, TX, GA, FL, GA, NC, NH and maybe NV whilst running close in VA and CO and thus win re-election.

There are much more possible Biden ~400 maps.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2020, 04:20:17 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2020, 05:11:17 AM by Crumpets »

First [the Dakotas] ignore you.
Then [the Dakotas] laugh at you.
Then [the Dakotas] fight you.
Then you win [the Dakotas].
S019ian Liberal
Beacon

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2020, 12:51:04 AM »

There was one NE-01 poll from Kate Bolz's campaign in July and there could be an upset there, but with a +6% margin statewide, I'd have expected her campaign to be publishing more surveys too.
BLUE LINCOLN!!!
S019ian Liberal
Beacon

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2020, 12:51:37 AM »

Wat

The Senate is Tilt Republican in my opinion. There is too much ticket-splitting in Maine, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina, which will doom the Democrats and allow Mitch McConnell to carry out his dirty tricks until at least 2026.
ticket splitting could help trump in MI
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2020, 01:45:12 AM »

Dakota's and MT aren't voting to left of Iowa
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2020, 03:19:49 AM »

Isn't that essentially the Bartlet re-election map from The West Wing?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2020, 03:32:16 AM »

100-year old polls.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: