FL, MN, NV - Civiqs/DailyKos: Biden +4, +10, +9
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  FL, MN, NV - Civiqs/DailyKos: Biden +4, +10, +9
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: FL, MN, NV - Civiqs/DailyKos: Biden +4, +10, +9  (Read 3410 times)
TheLaRocca
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »

I think this is fine. But Minnesota is def not that blue.

Trump is favored in the Iron Range according to polling. But he does MUCH worse in Minneapolis suburbia and southern Minnesota. Should win by 5-6ish.
No. Biden will win MN by 7-10%.
This is what delusion looks like

Nobody who thinks Minnesota will be close has given a reasonable explanation as to why.

Um, I have like five times.

You guys just chose to ignore any analysis that does not have the Democrats winning by massive margins in the midwest (despite polling tell you its close).

You seriously think MN is a tossup? lmao

I think Minnesota is about 3 to 4% to the right of the nation.

So if Bidens up by 10 nationally (per 538) he's ahead by about 5 to 6 in Minnesota.

That seems pretty reasonable (depending on how MN trends). Although I think he’ll win by about 7-8 in the end.

wasserman says Trump is doing way worse in St. Paul/Minneapolis suburbs, worse in southern rural Minnesota, but about the same in the Iron Range.

Makes sense to me.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »

Trump is favored in the Iron Range according to polling. But he does MUCH worse in Minneapolis suburbia and southern Minnesota. Should win by 5-6ish.

Polling indicates Trump is doing quite well in the Iron Range.

Suburbs will save Biden in MN and some farming swings. That's really it though.

he's not beaking 7% lol.

... what proportion of Minnesota do you think lives in the Iron Range? Tina Smith lost MN-08 in 2018 on her way to an 11 point win.

If "suburbs" are as D we expect, then the Iron Range is going to be a statistical quirk this year, not a kingmaker.
TheLaRocca
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »

he's not beaking 7% lol.

... what proportion of Minnesota do you think lives in the Iron Range? Tina Smith lost MN-08 in 2018 on her way to an 11 point win.

If "suburbs" are as D we expect, then the Iron Range is going to be a statistical quirk this year, not a kingmaker.

Metro Minnesota (2.628Mil) = 57-34 Clinton (59-39 Obama 08) (includes Ramsey, Hennepin, Anoka, Washington, and Dakota)

Non-metro Minnesota (2.651mil) = 56-35 Trump (48.8-48.8 Obama 08, rest of the state)

so no Minnesota is pretty evenly split between rural and urban areas (more so than Ohio even). If Trump is matching 2016 numbers (or just slightly worse) in the Iron Range and still winning rural MN by large margins, Biden won't be winning the state in a landslide.

2016 numbers in Metro MN (which was a GOP underperformance TBH) + increased rural margins (GOP is not anywhere near maxed out in rural MN) make this state VERY favorable for the GOP.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »

Nobody who thinks Minnesota will be close has given a reasonable explanation as to why.

You guys just chose to ignore any analysis that does not have the Democrats winning by massive margins in the midwest (despite polling tell you its close).

I've been one of the most vocal in disputing the "massive margins" argument red avatars are pushing. But your Tossup Minnesota is equally unrealistic.

Saying the Iron Range vote will trend the state Republican makes no sense because the reason for the change in rural margins is because they are depopulating--people are moving to more urban areas, and are trending them further left in the process. That's not going to change the state's vote as a whole.
TheLaRocca
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 07:28:26 PM »

I've been one of the most vocal in disputing the "massive margins" argument red avatars are pushing. But your Tossup Minnesota is equally unrealistic.

Saying the Iron Range vote will trend the state Republican makes no sense because the reason for the change in rural margins is because they are depopulating--people are moving to more urban areas, and are trending them further left in the process. That's not going to change the state's vote as a whole.

(1) Minnesota IS A tossup state (voted slightly to the right of the nation). It's just the national margin is so large for Biden that it doesn't matter. It's like if Obama won by 15 in 08 and won Ohio by 8-10. Ohio is still a toss then. Just the national margin has shifted.
(2) Okay half the state is urban and half is rural. In terms of voting. If rural MN stays about the same (let's say slightly better for Biden) then Metro MN shifts the state only by about 3 to 5.
(3) um but the rural areas are getting more GOP no? I just posted population numbers from daves redistricting that prove my point.
(4) the floor is much stronger for republicans in metro MN than for democrats in rural MN. Remember that.

All said and done at this very moment MN is about 6% D.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 07:41:59 PM »

(1) Minnesota IS A tossup state (voted slightly to the right of the nation). It's just the national margin is so large for Biden that it doesn't matter. It's like if Obama won by 15 in 08 and won Ohio by 8-10. Ohio is still a toss then. Just the national margin has shifted

If the national margin is so large that it doesn't matter, it's not a tossup.

In any case, a lot of this margin is being built in places in which shifts have less relevance to the electoral tipping point as we should know from the difference between the 2012 and 2016 maps. This kind of blowout isn't normal - perhaps it might be a new normal, but I'll believe that when I see it.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 07:52:41 PM »

he's not beaking 7% lol.

Metro Minnesota (2.628Mil) = 57-34 Clinton (59-39 Obama 08) (includes Ramsey, Hennepin, Anoka, Washington, and Dakota)

Non-metro Minnesota (2.651mil) = 56-35 Trump (48.8-48.8 Obama 08, rest of the state)

so no Minnesota is pretty evenly split between rural and urban areas (more so than Ohio even). If Trump is matching 2016 numbers (or just slightly worse) in the Iron Range and still winning rural MN by large margins, Biden won't be winning the state in a landslide.

You literally acknowledged in your post that there would be a farm bump for Biden, not to mention that all polls show Trump is performing disastrously in MSP suburbs. He's not matching the 2016 margins. My point is that the Iron Range is not large enough to offset those.

2016 numbers in Metro MN (which was a GOP underperformance TBH)

MSP results in 2016 were absolutely not a GOP underperformance. If it was an underperformance, they wouldn't have lost two of their House seats here in 2018 in addition to getting swept in those five counties in the three races at the top of the ticket and losing double-digit seats in the state house. Outside of maybe Ramsey, Trump won't come close to his 2016 numbers anywhere in this area.

+ increased rural margins (GOP is not anywhere near maxed out in rural MN) make this state VERY favorable for the GOP.

In 2020 it's absolutely not favorable. We know from crosstabs that nationwide Biden has seen substantial gains from older and northern white voters. This is the type of person who lives outstate (not to mention outstate has plenty of small-sized cities like St. Cloud, Moorhead, etc. with college educated voters ready to bounce back - calling the entirety of the rest of the state "rural" is misleading). Trump performing better than historically anomalous performances in the Iron Range won't be enough to offset this. You can say longer-term prospects are better but this year is absolutely not the year for Republcians here.

Besides, any analysis of MN that doesn't mention the catastrophic (for Dems) third party protest vote and/or the fact that turnout was down from 2012 is incomplete. Trump edged Romney's 12 performance by 2K votes while Clinton lost 180K votes from Obama 12. Clinton and Trump both underperformed Kerry and Bush 04.

We're going to see on election night that 2016 was an aberration. We already saw abundant evidence of this in 2018 but people (many of whom have never set foot in the state) refuse to see it.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »

This sounds about right assuming an 8 to 10 point race.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »

I’ll believe it when I see it (luckily only 2 weeks)

What is unbelievable about these polls? All 3 of these results are within 1% of what I expect
The Florida number is not even slightly believable.

Really?  It's only 1 point off of 538.
TheLaRocca
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »

he's not beaking 7% lol.

You literally acknowledged in your post that there would be a farm bump for Biden, not to mention that all polls show Trump is performing disastrously in MSP suburbs. He's not matching the 2016 margins. My point is that the Iron Range is not large enough to offset those.

2016 numbers in Metro MN (which was a GOP underperformance TBH)

MSP results in 2016 were absolutely not a GOP underperformance. If it was an underperformance, they wouldn't have lost two of their House seats here in 2018 in addition to getting swept in those five counties in the three races at the top of the ticket and losing double-digit seats in the state house. Outside of maybe Ramsey, Trump won't come close to his 2016 numbers anywhere in this area.

+ increased rural margins (GOP is not anywhere near maxed out in rural MN) make this state VERY favorable for the GOP.

In 2020 it's absolutely not favorable. We know from crosstabs that nationwide Biden has seen substantial gains from older and northern white voters. This is the type of person who lives outstate (not to mention outstate has plenty of small-sized cities like St. Cloud, Moorhead, etc. with college educated voters ready to bounce back - calling the entirety of the rest of the state "rural" is misleading). Trump performing better than historically anomalous performances in the Iron Range won't be enough to offset this. You can say longer-term prospects are better but this year is absolutely not the year for Republcians here.

Besides, any analysis of MN that doesn't mention the catastrophic (for Dems) third party protest vote and/or the fact that turnout was down from 2012 is incomplete. Trump edged Romney's 12 performance by 2K votes while Clinton lost 180K votes from Obama 12. Clinton and Trump both underperformed Kerry and Bush 04.

We're going to see on election night that 2016 was an aberration. We already saw abundant evidence of this in 2018 but people (many of whom have never set foot in the state) refuse to see it.

Trump is down 6 in Minnesota though.

Just because Minnesota has suburbs (lol Anoka isint the same as NOVA) does not mean Biden will win the state by 20 points.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies