Santorum (R-VA) in serious trouble with residency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 09:27:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum (R-VA) in serious trouble with residency
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum (R-VA) in serious trouble with residency  (Read 8531 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »

Virginia doesn't need 3 Republican Senators. Hopefully they'll have only one after this next election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06146/693291-192.stm
DarthKosh

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »

Karma is a bitch for Rickie.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 01:48:21 PM »

Hmm Tricky Ricky better start working on trying to be a VP candidate because he ain't gonna last as a Senator.
DarthKosh

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:19:25 PM »

Hmm Tricky Ricky better start working on trying to be a VP candidate because he ain't gonna last as a Senator.

THat what he really wants.  He doesn't want to be senator anymore.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »

I like how Santorum keeps referring to Bob Casey as "Bobby" in all of his campaign-related statements and publications.  What a jerk.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:27:50 PM »

As I suspected, Rick Santorum's campaign was not exactly the best source for information about that "operative" business.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:13:16 PM »

I like how Santorum keeps referring to Bob Casey as "Bobby" in all of his campaign-related statements and publications.  What a jerk.

It's a good move. Casey is being a "jerk" by rarely speaking about the issues and just simply campaigning on his last name. Why shouldn't Santorum call him "Bobby, Jr."?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:16:01 AM »

It's a good move. Casey is being a "jerk" by rarely speaking about the issues and just simply campaigning on his last name. Why shouldn't Santorum call him "Bobby, Jr."?

I beg to differ.  That's just the Santorum spin.  Casey has spoken quite a bit about his desire to bring fiscal responsibility to Washington, about the fact that no veteran should have to choose between disability and retirement pay, about investing in early childhood learning to give kids a better start in their education, and about promoting economic growth in PA.

What are Santorum's issues?  Nothing.  Just snide insults.  Santorum can't campaign on the issues.  He's been in Washington for years and produced nothing for PA.  His party has had a monopoly on power for the last 8 years and what have THEY done for the country?  High oil prices, a weak economy, a terrible international image for America, large scale corruption in Washington, a ballooning national debt being caused by overwhelming pork barrell spending, and no plan to fix it.

Beyond just the simple question of who is running a nicer campaign, who is going to be better for PA as Senator?  Santorum can only promise more of the same.  Casey can bring in fresh ideas AND can swing the Democrats to realize that a social moderate CAN win for them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »

I beg to differ.  That's just the Santorum spin.  Casey has spoken quite a bit about his desire to bring fiscal responsibility to Washington, about the fact that no veteran should have to choose between disability and retirement pay, about investing in early childhood learning to give kids a better start in their education, and about promoting economic growth in PA.

Liberal newspapers even call Casey out, saying he's not campaigning.

He's not issue-oriented? Sure, he'll make a controversial remark here and there but don't say that he doesn't pay attention to issues or that he does nothing.

Do you honestly believe that Casey will have that much of an impact? The Dems will walk all over him. DC won't be like PA - Bobby won't have people adoring him like he does now. They'll show him how things work and he'll get totally used whereas Santorum would continue to lay out how things work in the leadership if re-elected.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 11:22:59 AM »

What "liberal" newspapers?  Casey isn't running tons of ads because he doesn't have the finances for his campaign which Santorum does.  If you've ever been to one of his rallies you definitely hear him talk about the issues.

Santorum is issue-oriented?  Name one Santorum issue?  What can he possibly say he will do differently?  He's been around long enough and his party controls all 3 branches.  No, Santorum has nothing to offer.

Politicians adore winning above all else.  The Democrats have taken a beating over the last 8 years.  If Casey demonstrates a new way to win, others will take notice.  This election is THE election of 2006.  A Casey win WILL change things.  A Santorum win is a move for the status quo.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »

What "liberal" newspapers?  Casey isn't running tons of ads because he doesn't have the finances for his campaign which Santorum does.  If you've ever been to one of his rallies you definitely hear him talk about the issues.

Papers like the Philadelphia Inquirer have pointed out Casey's non-campaigning problems. Philly knows a bit about his below average tactics from the Gubernatorial primary of four years ago.

Santorum has championed faith based initiatives, abortion and welfare reform. To say that he never played a key role in the welfare reform legislation and countless abortion related laws (Unborn Victims of Violence, Partial Birth Abortion Ban, etc.) is ridiculous. I don't care if you don't like those issues. Point is that he has been one of the main leaders.

And the Dems will celebrate for a few months and then throw Casey to the side because they know they already own him.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 05:14:24 PM »

Papers like the Philadelphia Inquirer have pointed out Casey's non-campaigning problems. Philly knows a bit about his below average tactics from the Gubernatorial primary of four years ago.

Again, I refer you to my previous post.  Casey is campaigning on the issues.  To say he isn't disregards his stump speeches and his responses to various questions.  Sure he's using his last name.  He'd be foolish not to use it.  But he isn't running ads that say "I'm Bob Casey and you're not".

Yes, Santorum has championed theocracy and other "doomed to fail" initiatives.  And yes, he's been a leader of the "borrow and spend", corruption-laden Congress of the last 8 years.  You want to reward this?  My point is he has nothing new to offer.

That's your opinion.  I disagree.  We both know that if Santorum is elected nothing will change.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 06:19:36 PM »

How are you even a republican? Seriously. I have never EVER seen you say one thing supporting the GOP.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »

Santorum or Casey... it really doesn't matter much. Casey is  cashing in on his family name while Santorum is betting Arlen Specter's support will pull him through! I hope Arlen sits this one out. It would be a great "thank you"  for Santorum turning his back on Pat Toomey. Santorum gets what he deserves and PA won't know the difference when Casey takes office.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »

He only cares about himself so it's expected that he'll do little for Santorum. He can't totally sit it out. This is another reason why Santorum was just plain wrong for backing the RINO over Toomey.

But he isn't running ads that say "I'm Bob Casey and you're not".

But he focuses on his name more than anything. Two years ago he had an ad out for his Treasurer campaign where his daughter's said, "This is our Dad - Bob Casey. He's just like our Grandpop..."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »

For the 1,000,000th time... pretty much every Congress member, and certainly those that have young families (which isn't many, admittedly) have what is basically full-time residence in either VA, DC, or Maryland.  If you pick on Santorum because of this, and think it is anything new, you are an IDIOT.

If you think the Post-Gazette is a non-partisan paper... you are an IDIOT.  The fact the the Post is so rabidly partisan is the onyl thing that keeps the Tribune-Review in business.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »

For the 1,000,000th time... pretty much every Congress member, and certainly those that have young families (which isn't many, admittedly) have what is basically full-time residence in either VA, DC, or Maryland.  If you pick on Santorum because of this, and think it is anything new, you are an IDIOT.

It is one thing to maintain a 2nd residence in VA, DC, or MD.  It is quite another thing altogether to not even bother to maintain a mailing address in the state you claim to represent.  How "in touch" with his constituents can he really claim to be?

The Richard Mellon-Scaife owned Tribune Review is so far to the right it is ridiculous.

Does the Post-Gazette favor Casey?  Sure, I suspect it does.  Does it favor EVERY Democrat?  No it does not.  Perhaps it does lean more left than right, but a comparison to the Tribune-Review (which was the reporting home of the Arkansas Project) is down right laughable.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 11:29:27 AM »

It is one thing to maintain a 2nd residence in VA, DC, or MD.  It is quite another thing altogether to not even bother to maintain a mailing address in the state you claim to represent.  How "in touch" with his constituents can he really claim to be?

Maintaining a Pennsylvania mailing address is so easy that I don't see how that would indicate that he is in-touch with his consistituents whatsoever.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 11:50:14 AM »

Maintaining a Pennsylvania mailing address is so easy that I don't see how that would indicate that he is in-touch with his consistituents whatsoever.

It indicates he cares enough to bother to keep up at least appearances.  Santorum's disregard for his constituents is so great he doesn't even care about appearances.

Guys, most reps work in Washington and then go home while Congress is out of session.  Santorum never leaves.  He really is VA's 3rd Senator.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 11:57:43 AM »

It indicates he cares enough to bother to keep up at least appearances.  Santorum's disregard for his constituents is so great he doesn't even care about appearances.

Guys, most reps work in Washington and then go home while Congress is out of session.  Santorum never leaves.  He really is VA's 3rd Senator.

Santorum is in a competitive re-election.  I have some serious troubles believing that he does not care about appearences.  It would have been literally a ten-minute phone call to get a mailing address.  He may be out-of-touch, but this just shows that he has bad p.r. more than anything, at least to me.

Is your second paragraph really true?  I honestly don't know; I would like to hear where you read this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »

Is your second paragraph really true?  I honestly don't know; I would like to hear where you read this.

Are you kidding? Do you honestly think there might be a chance that he doesn't leave DC? The man is doing so much campaigning for re-election and he's not in PA?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »

Are you kidding? Do you honestly think there might be a chance that he doesn't leave DC? The man is doing so much campaigning for re-election and he's not in PA?

Of course he'll show up for campaigning, but that's about it.  His wife and kids are in VA with him and they live there.  Santorum owns property in Penn Hills but, according to his neighbors, he's never there.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_274340.html
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 10:22:37 AM »

Why shouldn't Santorum call him "Bobby, Jr."?

Because that's not his name.  Casey could just as well call Santorum "Ricky".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 10:25:22 AM »

Of course he'll show up for campaigning, but that's about it.  His wife and kids are in VA with him and they live there.  Santorum owns property in Penn Hills but, according to his neighbors, he's never there.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_274340.html

And other senators don't do this?  There are more interesting issues to attack him on.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

Why shouldn't Santorum call him "Bobby, Jr."?

Because that's not his name.  Casey could just as well call Santorum "Ricky".

Let him call him Ricky. Santorum doesn't have to fear being called out for being just a namesake. And if we're going just my names, I guess we have to call Casey  "Robert Patrick Casey, Jr."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies