Gallup: 51% of Americans Want ACB Seated on Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:33:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: 51% of Americans Want ACB Seated on Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gallup: 51% of Americans Want ACB Seated on Supreme Court  (Read 2138 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:26:49 AM »
« edited: October 20, 2020, 07:33:07 AM by VARepublican »

https://news.gallup.com/poll/322232/amy-coney-barrett-seated-supreme-court.aspx

Edit: 46% of Americans don’t want her to be seated.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »

This is the second lowest net approval for a pick recorded?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:28:53 AM »

These people would start to feel differently once she starts casting votes, especially by ripping apart the ACA.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:52 AM »

Normatively I don't have a problem with the timing of her being seated. But it makes the Republicans look like idiots to insist she has to be confirmed right away after how they handed the Garland thing as if everyone's not going to notice.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »

Americans don’t pay much attention to these things and/or don’t care about consistency. News at 11.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 05:36:33 PM »

Americans don’t pay much attention to these things and/or don’t care about consistency. News at 11.

Republicans would be wise to remember this tendency can be just as ruthlessly exploited against them in the future.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 06:06:35 PM »

Stop citing Gallup for everything. For some reason their polls have lately had a Republican bend. Many other polls show that Americans largely do not want her to be seated.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »

This is actually the narrowest margin for most supreme Court nominations. Also apparently there aren't that many undecideds with views on Barret compared to previous SC justices
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:57 PM »

Stop citing Gallup for everything. For some reason their polls have lately had a Republican bend. Many other polls show that Americans largely do not want her to be seated.

They're asking different questions.  The median American can simultaneously believe that the winner of the election should have filled the seat while also supporting ACB's confirmation now that she is nominated.  People- especially not hyper-political people- can have conflicting views (like how most Americans support policies that would require Roe being overturned while saying that it shouldn't be).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »

ACB will vote to uphold the ACA, and this whole thing will just fade away, including the court packing scheme.

Speaking of fading away, interestingly, campaign finance reform seems to be in that category. The Dems now get more money than the Pubs - including in the "big checks" category. Charity begins at home.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »

ACB will vote to uphold the ACA, and this whole thing will just fade away, including the court packing scheme.

Speaking of fading away, interestingly, campaign finance reform seems to be in that category. The Dems now get more money than the Pubs - including in the "big checks" category. Charity begins at home.
Barrett will overturn Roe and get rid of Penalty tax

Unlikely to happen, the penalty is not paid by everyone, SSA recepients don't pay income taxes and if you are on Medicaid you don't have to pay it either. As for abortions we have condoms, birth control and adoptions, so Roe and getting rid of Penalty tax can be the norm, that's why it's acceptable to overturn Roe
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »

Possibly. One of the ironic effects of heightened corporate power is that blue state enterprises can continue to pillage the meager resources of their red state counterparts. Overturning Roe would only exacerbate the imbalance — you think any tech CEO wants to raise his/her family in a state where abortion is illegal? Naw, rural white America would be left to rot, which might be a beneficial development.   
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 11:22:29 PM »

Possibly. One of the ironic effects of heightened corporate power is that blue state enterprises can continue to pillage the meager resources of their red state counterparts. Overturning Roe would only exacerbate the imbalance — you think any tech CEO wants to raise his/her family in a state where abortion is illegal? Naw, rural white America would be left to rot, which might be a beneficial development.   

You sound like a bad person, and you can’t hide that behind “good” politics, dude.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 12:10:59 AM »

You sound like a bad person, and you can’t hide that behind “good” politics, dude.

I'm of the "f-ck you, pay me" attitude. My view is that overtime - it's possible Boudin/Krasner type prosecutors could be in charge of 1/5 of the population. That can actually drive things by basically turning a good chunk of the country into no go zones. Eventually it will have negative downstream effects on red state america. At what point do the red areas begin to actually grovel. Because that's when we can put SCOTUS on the table and say "if you give it up, all these bad things will stop".
R.P. McM

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2020, 02:17:33 PM by R.P. McM »

Sure, Tom, allowing Republican constituencies to pay for the devil's bargain they've made with bigots and authoritarians makes me a bad person. Nah, hombre, we can't teach rural whites and evangelicals not to support a racist demagogue if they suffer no ill consequences as a result. Support for figures like Trump needs to come at a very high price, and Democrats need to impose it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »

It was bad when Mitch McConnell said he would cut funding to "blue" states, and it's bad to say you want to hurt "red" states. You people realize there are people of every political persuasion in every state, right? Even assuming it's okay to make your political opponents suffer, you're going to punish people for their neighbors' political beliefs?
R.P. McM

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2020, 05:32:46 PM by R.P. McM »

It was bad when Mitch McConnell said he would cut funding to "blue" states, and it's bad to say you want to hurt "red" states. You people realize there are people of every political persuasion in every state, right? Even assuming it's okay to make your political opponents suffer, you're going to punish people for their neighbors' political beliefs?

When bigots and authoritarians are deprived of economic and political power, that's a good thing. Yes, I want Trump's supporters to suffer, as they've demonstrated themselves to be completely devoid of decency or civility. Sorry. I would suggest you direct your criticisms at them. Perhaps they can improve their judgement, climb out of the gutter, and make themselves worthy of respect. Otherwise, I think they're trash, and they'll get no sympathy from me.

Trump is essentially a declaration of hatred from Red America to Blue. Anyone living in Blue America who fails to interpret the message of these past four years, and mistakenly believes that rural whites can be trusted with disproportionate, undemocratic political power is an absolute fool.   
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2020, 05:34:29 PM by Santander »

When bigots and authoritarians are deprived of economic and political power, that's a good thing. Yes, I want Trump's supporters to suffer, as they've demonstrated themselves to be completely devoid of decency or civility. Sorry. I would suggest you direct your criticisms at them. Perhaps they can improve their judgement, climb out of the gutter, and make themselves worthy of respect. Otherwise, I think they're trash, and they'll get no sympathy from me.

Trump got nearly as many votes in California as he did in Texas. Punishing entire states because of how a plurality of their population voted for someone is beyond stupid. You would also hurt millions of Democrats who live in those states just to get one over the other side.

So yeah, go ahead and f**k the > 3.8 million Democrats in Texas just so you can get one over some militia hicks.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 06:28:56 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2020, 07:10:13 AM by DC Al Fine »

Trump got nearly as many votes in California as he did in Texas. Punishing entire states because of how a plurality of their population voted for someone is beyond stupid. You would also hurt millions of Democrats who live in those states just to get one over the other side.

So yeah, go ahead and f**k the > 3.8 million Democrats in Texas just so you can get one over some militia hicks.

I'm sure Mississippi and Alabama's poor blacks will appreciate McM's Stunning and BraveTM position when their SNAP funding gets cut to punish Red America.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2020, 06:54:23 PM by Badger »

Polls at the time showed consisted majorities in favor of confirming Merrick Garland to the scotus, with opposition ranging from the low thirties to the low 40s.

Furthermore, polls also showed at the time that two-thirds of Americans felt he should be granted confirmation hearings.

So what is your point, O P? It's pretty weak tea for Republicans to completely defy public opinion four years ago when it suited their purpose, and try to hide behind the narrowest majority within margin of error as justification for their actions today.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »

wouldn't read too much into this tbh
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »

This so disingenuous, most of the TX Democrats live in affluent suburbs and they are very close to flipping the state because of suburban voters, the days of residual Democratic strength in East Texas are long gone. TX is nothing like WV where Democrats are reliant on literal Dixiecrats to have a chance. In fact, I hope we pick up 2/3/10/21/22/23/24/25/31 and the Senate seat this year, so this notion of TX being full of racist, rural hick Republicans can finally die, the whole state isn't East Texas you know. Places like Bellaire, Sugar Land, Garland, Round Rock are all becoming more and more D. In fact many of these people are Romney voters who are disgusted with the bigotry of the Republican Party, that places like Appalachia will gladly accept. Of course, the same people who push this idea also continue to insist that Iowa and Ohio will be Biden states, because of muh residual Democratic strength. But honestly comparing Texas to like Appalachia is so disingenuous, unless you're talking about East Texas, which has so few Democrats that notorious bigot Louie Gohmert is going to win 70%+ of the vote and win in a 30%+ landslide.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »

This so disingenuous, most of the TX Democrats live in affluent suburbs and they are very close to flipping the state because of suburban voters, the days of residual Democratic strength in East Texas are long gone. TX is nothing like WV where Democrats are reliant on literal Dixiecrats to have a chance. In fact, I hope we pick up 2/3/10/21/22/23/24/25/31 and the Senate seat this year, so this notion of TX being full of racist, rural hick Republicans can finally die, the whole state isn't East Texas you know. Places like Bellaire, Sugar Land, Garland, Round Rock are all becoming more and more D. In fact many of these people are Romney voters who are disgusted with the bigotry of the Republican Party, that places like Appalachia will gladly accept. Of course, the same people who push this idea also continue to insist that Iowa and Ohio will be Biden states, because of muh residual Democratic strength. But honestly comparing Texas to like Appalachia is so disingenuous, unless you're talking about East Texas, which has so few Democrats that notorious bigot Louie Gohmert is going to win 70%+ of the vote and win in a 30%+ landslide.

Hearing most Texas Democrats live in affluent suburbs is one of the biggest spit takes I've had in a long time
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 06:58:12 PM »

Hearing most Texas Democrats live in affluent suburbs is one of the biggest spit takes I've had in a long time

I meant new Democratic voters/the people that Biden and O'Rourke flipped/will flip, and it wasn't that long ago that both Dallas and Harris Counties were solidly Republican so....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2020, 07:15:52 PM »

I meant new Democratic voters/the people that Biden and O'Rourke flipped/will flip, and it wasn't that long ago that both Dallas and Harris Counties were solidly Republican so....

Gotcha. Still, the idea of punishing any state politically is exactly what Trump is threatening to do and we need to stand a million miles away from that. We can't punish Americans, including Democrats in Boise, because Idaho is a right-wing Paradise. Hell, we shouldn't even be punishing the right-wing nut jobs they're either.

Now all that said, is a well-known fact brushed off by Republicans that, with I believe the exception of New Mexico, the states with the greatest net income from the federal government versus taxes paid are all ruby red, and the converse is true with the greatest net tax-paying States being overwhelmingly Democrat. California New York I believe her near the top. This is not entirely accidental, but rather is related in no small part the combination of unrestrained military spending which tends to benefit Atlas blue States, Plus Auntie big government spending republicans in Congress holding no such Scruples towards funneling tax dollars to their individual districts and states. I'm not saying that solely a Republican characteristic by any means, but it's more played out in terms of Republicans being willing to shut down spending it doesn't directly benefit them and there's when the beneficiaries are more in blue States.

My point here is that just reasonable appropriate changes in government policies such as limiting the growth of defense spending, I'm more coherent National infrastructure rebuilding plan, plus general increased spending on social programs in general are likely to ameliorate this imbalance without having to maliciously Target Republican states.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies