Who are the most forgettable presidential/vice presidential candidates? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:37:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who are the most forgettable presidential/vice presidential candidates? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are the most forgettable presidential/vice presidential candidates?  (Read 2279 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »

For presidential candidates, Alton Parker is certainly a good choice; as far as I can tell, he was basically nominated because he had some powerful allies and had the highest stature of any elected Democrat in New York. James M. Cox is another particularly obscure candidate, imo. 

I think one weirdly-obscure presidential candidate Charles Pinckney, who seems to have been largely forgotten despite the fact that he was the Federalist Party's presidential candidate twice, fought in the Revolutionary War, attended the Constitutional Convention, had a role in the XYZ Affair, and was the guy Alexander Hamilton was trying to elect in 1800 (when he served as Adams's quasi-running mate).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:18 PM »

For VP candidates, hard to argue with Miller in the post-WW2 category. Some others I view as particularly obscure are Arthur Sewall, who was basically just a rich guy the Dems nominated so he'd help finance the ticket, and Jared Ingersoll, who was the attorney general of Pennsylvania (at the time an appointed position) and was nominated basically in the hope of swinging his home state.

Honorable mention to William Wheeler, the 19th VPOTUS; when his running mate, Rutherford B. Hayes, learned of Wheeler's nomination, Hayes supposedly wrote to his wife: "I am ashamed to say: Who is Wheeler?"
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »

Ten most forgettable tickets:

1804 & 1808 (F): Charles Pinckney and Rufus King
1816 (F): Rufus King and John E. Howard (not even really a ticket)
1848 (D): Lewis Cass and William O. Butler
1868 (D): Horatio Seymour and Francis Blair
1872 (LR/D): Horace Greeley and Benjamin Brown
1904 (D): Alton Parker and Henry Davis
1924 (D): John W. Davis and Charles W. Bryan
1936 (R): Alf Landon and Frank Knox
1952 (D): Adlai Stevenson and John Sparkman
1988 (D): Michael Dukakis and Lloyd Bentsen

I could probably throw in a few more D tickets between the Civil War and the Great Depression, but I was trying to spread around the selections a bit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies