Should employers be able to fire you for political beliefs/party affiliation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should employers be able to fire you for political beliefs/party affiliation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should employers be able to fire you for political beliefs/party affiliation?
Yes, but only for certain extremist groups like the Nazi Party

No

Yes, for any party affiliation

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Should employers be able to fire you for political beliefs/party affiliation?  (Read 2329 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »

^
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 03:23:08 AM »

This is not a serious question right?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »

Why not? It seems kind of messed up that an employer can fire you for political beleifs.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »

Why not? It seems kind of messed up that an employer can fire you for political beleifs.

I agree, and I said that precisely because I would hope most everyone else agrees to.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »

I agree, and I said that precisely because I would hope most everyone else agrees to.

Oh okay. I ask because it's currently legal in America for employer to fire you for that, since political beliefs are not a protected class.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »

No, it’s hard enough finding work right now as it is.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »

Only in cases of extremism like being a Nazi or Islamist. Otherwise, employers have no business in getting involved here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 11:37:20 PM »

No, it’s hard enough finding work right now as it is.
which is weird, 'cause I see help wanted signs all the time.  But I just looked at the unemployment numbers by state and it's strange how obvious the difference between heavy D states and heavy R states is.  Nebraska's current, mid pandemic rate (3.5) is better than Illinois was pre-pandemic (4.0....and is that the lowest the number has ever been in IL?).

as for the OP, yes.  I can see where it would be a problem to fire someone because you found out they voted wrong last election, but if they won't shut up about it or won't stop wearing political clothing or the employer thinks it could somehow shine a negative light on the business if it got out, then sure.  Why would you want to work for (or do business at all with) someone that hated you?  There are other jobs (unless you live in a red state Smiley ).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »

No. It's not an issue of the acceptability of extreme views, it's an issue of American employers' wildly excessive power over their employees' off-the-clock lives.

It's a weird job market here. Lots of job losses in construction and hospitality, but manufacturers are pretty desperate to hire. And whatever issues are afflicting white collar workplaces - my experience tells me that these concerns are real - the people I know in blue collar work don't need to worry about what they believe. Whether you're into Q or flat-earthism, Donald Trump or deep ecology, no one cares.

What exactly is being manufactured in Vermont these days, out of curiosity?
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »

No. It's not an issue of the acceptability of extreme views, it's an issue of American employers' wildly excessive power over their employees' off-the-clock lives.

This is an excellent point and has not only increased recently, but is an issue that will get dramatically worse in the coming years.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »

For the most part, your personal political beliefs and party affiliation are none of your employer's business.

The only exceptions I would probably argue with this would be if your employment is related to politics in some way, or if you are dumb enough to publicly express your views in a way that suggests your employer also shares those views.
Florian Geyer
Chadpotkin
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:46 PM »

No
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 11:46:29 PM »

Yes for only extremist political beliefs
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »

Only if it were actively and directly interfering with your work duties, in which case it would really be a performance issue.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »

I really question the notion of it being acceptable to fire someone for "extremist" beliefs. That loophole seems tailor made for malevolent actors to abuse racial, religious, and political minorities.

Atlas still dislikes Joe McCarthy right?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 09:10:48 AM »

I really question the notion of it being acceptable to fire someone for "extremist" beliefs. That loophole seems tailor made for malevolent actors to abuse racial, religious, and political minorities.

Atlas still dislikes Joe McCarthy right?

I could see a society with a very strong socially liberal consensus (Iceland or Sweden, maybe) using the subjective nature of "extremist" as an excuse to fire people for being pro-life, or a society with a very strong nationalist conservative consensus (Hungary or maybe even Japan or Israel) using it to fire people for disagreeing with hawkish/irredentist/historical revisionist/whatever positions. To say nothing of Trumpist employers firing people for ~radical~ DSA or BLM sympathies, #Resistance-aligned employers firing people for caring about Hunter Biden's emails, etc. right here in the US of A.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »

Yes. I presume that an employer has the right to choose who to employ or not employ and I am satisfied with the existing law's exceptions to that right.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 03:20:33 PM »

If you are politically active and/or express your views publicly, yes. Businesses should not be required to carry their employees' political baggage.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »

If people want to feel secure in their jobs, they should simply have been born into upper management.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 06:39:11 PM »

Absolutely not
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

If people want to feel secure in their jobs, they should simply have been born into upper management.
or, ya know, do your job as good as you can.  People who do a good job (and their bosses see it/know it) feel very secure in their jobs.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 02:24:35 AM »

Well, I have to give you props for being honest.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 02:49:42 AM »

This is an excellent point and has not only increased recently, but is an issue that will get dramatically worse in the coming years.

You say things like this, and then continue voting for the party that is actively working to make this issue worse.

The absurdity of American politics continues to amaze me. You can't make this stuff up.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »

Only in cases of extremism like being a Nazi or Islamist. Otherwise, employers have no business in getting involved here.

If those Nazis' and Islamists' beliefs aren't impacting the work place or the employees' job performances at all, it's none of the employer's business.  In other words, the employee shouting Nazi beliefs at work is one thing, but if the boss "catches wind" of an employee "being a Nazi," that is a ridiculous reason to fire him or her.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 11:41:41 AM »

Depends.  If you're pushing your political beliefs on company time, then definitely.  If you're doing it off the job, only if you do it in a way that implies the employer supports you.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies