Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:47:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”?  (Read 605 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: October 19, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »

The same issue can be a civil rights issue if it's engaged with seriously by people who actually care about those it affects and a culture war issue if it's engaged with unseriously by hatred-blinded idiots who just want to own the libs or own the deplorables.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 07:51:56 AM »

The same issue can be a civil rights issue if it's engaged with seriously by people who actually care about those it affects and a culture war issue if it's engaged with unseriously by hatred-blinded idiots who just want to own the libs or own the deplorables.

But "civil rights" is just term du jour for idiot libs who want to own the deplorables to couch their arguments in sanctimonious appeals to some normative quality.

Both of these phrases are absolutely meaningless.  It has nothing to do with how "serious" those using them are. 

I'm tempted to make a snide remark about a R-MS avatar saying that "civil rights" is a meaningless phrase, but I can't quite put my finger on one that wouldn't just be a pat insult, so instead I'll take this conversation seriously and say that just because the phrase "civil rights issue" is overused doesn't mean that, say, employment nondiscrimination and police brutality aren't actually civil rights issues. They clearly are. If you're referring to post-Obergefell small-ball LGBT issues like the Bathroom Question and the Wedding Cake Question, or to the claim that (say) positive economic rights to things like publicly provided food and housing are "civil rights issues", then sure, you have a point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies