Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:58:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of people who describe civil rights issues as “culture war issues”?  (Read 594 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »

^
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »

I agree, Otto von Bismarck was an HP.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »

Elaborate?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 07:40:52 PM »

People who call things like LGBT rights "culture war issues" - as if they're just dinner table arguments instead of civil rights issues.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 08:01:20 PM »

This is a really weird way for you to come out against a national mask mandate, but I applaud your boldness.
We get it.
You get high off of complaining about basic safety measures.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »

Uhm...tomato tomato, I guess?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 04:03:24 AM »

People who call things like LGBT rights "culture war issues" - as if they're just dinner table arguments instead of civil rights issues.

Calling something a "culture war" pretty much implies that it is much bigger than a garden-variety dinner table argument, but I guess that the expression has been used so much in the American discourse that its meaning has been trivialized.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »

The same issue can be a civil rights issue if it's engaged with seriously by people who actually care about those it affects and a culture war issue if it's engaged with unseriously by hatred-blinded idiots who just want to own the libs or own the deplorables.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »

The same issue can be a civil rights issue if it's engaged with seriously by people who actually care about those it affects and a culture war issue if it's engaged with unseriously by hatred-blinded idiots who just want to own the libs or own the deplorables.

But "civil rights" is just term du jour for idiot libs who want to own the deplorables to couch their arguments in sanctimonious appeals to some normative quality.

Both of these phrases are absolutely meaningless.  It has nothing to do with how "serious" those using them are. 
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 07:51:56 AM »

But "civil rights" is just term du jour for idiot libs who want to own the deplorables to couch their arguments in sanctimonious appeals to some normative quality.

Both of these phrases are absolutely meaningless.  It has nothing to do with how "serious" those using them are. 

I'm tempted to make a snide remark about a R-MS avatar saying that "civil rights" is a meaningless phrase, but I can't quite put my finger on one that wouldn't just be a pat insult, so instead I'll take this conversation seriously and say that just because the phrase "civil rights issue" is overused doesn't mean that, say, employment nondiscrimination and police brutality aren't actually civil rights issues. They clearly are. If you're referring to post-Obergefell small-ball LGBT issues like the Bathroom Question and the Wedding Cake Question, or to the claim that (say) positive economic rights to things like publicly provided food and housing are "civil rights issues", then sure, you have a point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies