GOP Starts Forging New Alliance with QAnon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Starts Forging New Alliance with QAnon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Starts Forging New Alliance with QAnon  (Read 804 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »

Hard to avoid doing when at least 40% of Republicans across the country are QAnon adherents:

The GOP starts forging a new alliance with QAnon
As tech platforms battle with QAnon conspiracy theorists, some Republicans are opening the door to the fringe group.

Given where things are going within the Republican Party, this is not a party anyone (outside the MAGA-fied base) should want anywhere near the levers of power in Washington...  

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 10:27:15 PM »

This is who the Republican Party is.

“Sane moderates”, you can still leave the party now with your dignity intact. QAnon is your party’s future.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 11:21:53 PM »

1980s GOP: "Those Islamists in Afghanistan are just useful idiots who can do our bidding to weaken the Soviets. What could possibly go wrong?"

2010s GOP: "Those Tea Partiers are just useful idiots who can help us scuttle Obama's agenda. What could possibly go wrong?"

2020s GOP: "This conspiratorial fringe movement is just useful idiots who can drive up voter turnout and help us salvage our majority. What could possibly go wrong?"
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:29:27 PM »

If Trump loses the GOP is going to go even further off the deep end and this is just a first step towards that.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 01:11:31 AM »

These people should really be taking advantage of Obamacare. They can't be denied coverage for mental health treatment because of their pre-existing condition.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 03:38:37 AM »

It would be nice if embracing QAnon would mean a further slide into irrelevance for the Republican Party.  But if recent history (e.g. neoconservatism, followed by the Tea Party) has shown us anything, all it does is shift the Overton Window further rightwards, and the rest of the country ends up getting dragged into the morass of idiocy along with them.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:50 AM »

Oh no! A bunch of cultists with outrageous and dangerous conspiratorial beliefs who have deluded themselves into thinking that they're "saving the children" and are therefore above all moral reproach are influencing the policies of a major political party? Someone do something!

We must never allow a group of lunatics like this to wield power in America.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:13:50 AM »

One of the narratives I heard coming out of the 2018 Senate elections was that the GOP had finally learnt to stop blowing elections by nominating wacky far-right Tea Party candidates, who were anathema to moderate and independent voters.

Welp.
woodley park

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 06:36:51 AM »

Just wait until mainstream news outlets starts “both sides”ing the QAnon folks. I try and remain hopeful that the American electorate will want nothing to do with these people, but I also fear that if a radicalized GOP is the alternative to the status quo, disaffected voters in 2022 will turn to it just because they want to vote against the status quo.
Pulaski

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »

Just wait until mainstream news outlets starts “both sides”ing the QAnon folks. I try and remain hopeful that the American electorate will want nothing to do with these people, but I also fear that if a radicalized GOP is the alternative to the status quo, disaffected voters in 2022 will turn to it just because they want to vote against the status quo.

This is part of the reason that left-of-centre parties around the world should've had the stones to stop trying to align themselves with a rapidly deteriorating status quo some time ago.
woodley park

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:06 AM »

This is part of the reason that left-of-centre parties around the world should've had the stones to stop trying to align themselves with a rapidly deteriorating status quo some time ago.

What I meant though is that just by virtue of being the incumbent party, Democrats will represent “status quo”, just like Obama did in 2009-2010, during the rise of the Tea Party.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2020, 07:12:00 AM by Wazza »

81% of Republicans and 80% of Fox News viewers didn't know what Qanon was in March this year according to a Pew Poll (https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/03/30/qanons-conspiracy-theories-have-seeped-into-u-s-politics-but-most-dont-know-what-it-is/). However, according to that same poll 59% of NYT readers, 49% of MSNBC viewers, 47% of Reddit users, 39% of self identified Liberal Democrats, 38% of NPR viewers and 37% of Twitter users had at least some knowledge of Qanon. This conspiracy would have remained nothing more than a fringe belief amongst 4channers and some throwaway primary nutcases (Which is nothing new when you consider that regional undesirable GOP nominations have been hijacked by people ranging from individuals quite left of centre like in the 2008 Montana senate race to holocaust deniers like in that 2018 Illinois house race) without the sensationalism of the press and various segments of social media. This is a weightless issue that has been overblown by a media profiting off voter stupidity and the socially isolating effects of the internet and the current pandemic. RINO Tom's prediction in August was unfortunately but unsurprisingly correct:

Exactly ... then you’ll get your lower-information GOPers going, “Well, I guess I suppose Qanon, because screw those other guys!”

This is more or less our modern politics ... you could get poor and stupid Democrats and Republicans to believe literally anything, given the reach of the Internet. Sad

It should also be noted that despite this article about the GOP "forging a new alliance with Qanon" the vast majority of Republican House members voted in favour of a resolution condemning the conspiracy theory: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/116-2020/h218

146 Ayes, 34 Not Voting, 17 Nays. This doesn't seem indicative of a new alliance to me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »

81% of Republicans and 80% of Fox News viewers didn't know what Qanon was in March this year according to a Pew Poll (https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/03/30/qanons-conspiracy-theories-have-seeped-into-u-s-politics-but-most-dont-know-what-it-is/). However, according to that same poll 59% of NYT readers, 49% of MSNBC viewers, 47% of Reddit users, 39% of self identified Liberal Democrats, 38% of NPR viewers and 37% of Twitter users had at least some knowledge of Qanon. This conspiracy would have remained nothing more than a fringe belief amongst 4channers and some throwaway primary nutcases (Which is nothing new when you consider that regional undesirable GOP nominations have been hijacked by people ranging from individuals quite left of centre like in the 2008 Montana senate race to holocaust deniers like in that 2018 Illinois house race) without the sensationalism of the press and various segments of social media. This is a weightless issue that has been overblown by a media profiting off voter stupidity and the socially isolating effects of the internet and the current pandemic. RINO Tom's prediction in August was unfortunately but unsurprisingly correct:

Exactly ... then you’ll get your lower-information GOPers going, “Well, I guess I suppose Qanon, because screw those other guys!”

This is more or less our modern politics ... you could get poor and stupid Democrats and Republicans to believe literally anything, given the reach of the Internet. Sad

It should also be noted that despite this article about the GOP "forging a new alliance with Qanon" the vast majority of Republican House members voted in favour of a resolution condemning the conspiracy theory: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/116-2020/h218

146 Ayes, 34 Not Voting, 17 Nays. This doesn't seem indicative of a new alliance to me.

So 30% of the GOP House caucus doesn’t oppose them?
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »

"Its fuzzy math!"

Under 26% of Republican congressmen didn't vote aye.*
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »

It would be nice if embracing QAnon would mean a further slide into irrelevance for the Republican Party.  But if recent history (e.g. neoconservatism, followed by the Tea Party) has shown us anything, all it does is shift the Overton Window further rightwards, and the rest of the country ends up getting dragged into the morass of idiocy along with them.

Are you suggesting that Dems and centrists lack agency here? ...Actually, you might be right.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »

"Its fuzzy math!"

26? 30? Still my point stands. That’s a caucus.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »

"Its fuzzy math!"

26? 30? Still my point stands. That’s a caucus.

You can't conclude much from that.  Amash voted No, I'm pretty sure he's not a Qanon supporter.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 05:27:49 PM »

Oh no! A bunch of cultists with outrageous and dangerous conspiratorial beliefs who have deluded themselves into thinking that they're "saving the children" and are therefore above all moral reproach are influencing the policies of a major political party? Someone do something!

We must never allow a group of lunatics like this to wield power in America.

Korean Christians are psycho.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies