Was 2012 the election Dems should have lost? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was 2012 the election Dems should have lost? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was 2012 the election Dems should have lost?  (Read 2831 times)
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« on: October 18, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »

so maybe 2008 was the election to lose. There are probably 62-63 senators and 270-275 dem house members come 2011. Stevens probably gives up but he is either blocked or a consensus pick is nominated.

I agree.  2010 was where Obama did the almost irreversible damage to Dems.  God he and his people should have taken that election more seriously.

I don't think all the blame should be placed on Obama. In the end, it was voters who didn't show up.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »

so maybe 2008 was the election to lose. There are probably 62-63 senators and 270-275 dem house members come 2011. Stevens probably gives up but he is either blocked or a consensus pick is nominated.

I agree.  2010 was where Obama did the almost irreversible damage to Dems.  God he and his people should have taken that election more seriously.

I don't think all the blame should be placed on Obama. In the end, it was voters who didn't show up.

Obama could have done more to get these voters to turn out, like attacking Republicans a lot more and effectively.

Fair point - but I noticed at the time, in my life, that a lot of people who turned out in 2008 just didn't show up in 2010. Some of them may have thought simply by electing Obama, their work was done - others got suckered in by Glenn Beck and Fox News and bought into misinformation (though thankfully some realized later they'd taken the wrong course). While that is anecdotal and anecdotal evidence on its own is insufficient, surely I'm not the only one who noticed this happening.

Yes, Obama could have been more forceful in combating the Republicans, but I think at that point many voters underestimated how much midterms mattered.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies