Where in the world are you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:27:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where in the world are you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 365 day poll
USA includes territories

Canada

Mexico

Panama

other North America country

South America

Africa

Antarctica

The Artic region

Australia

Europe

A boat or ship, not in any country

An island

Asia or Japan

other answer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Where in the world are you?  (Read 1031 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: October 18, 2020, 03:40:03 AM »

Panama is an option because I believe that it is in both continents.

Change your vote if you move from one option to another.
How are they special compared to other bicontinental nations like Russia or Turkey?

Bizarre poll options, but not surprising from OP. Arctic region? Asia or Japan?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 07:21:19 AM »

Also, I have always been impressed by how well those in countries where English is not a primary language can speak English.

Am I correct in thinking that mainland Europeans are much more likely to speak English than those in other parts of the world?

Also I think it depends on which part of the world you think of. I am pretty sure that India or parts of Africa have an English fluency that is on par or even slightly better than the average European, although I am never quite sure if English there is a lingua franca, a second language or a first language.

India has terrible English proficiency levels overall. South India is a bit better, as they often learn English ahead of Hindi as their second language. English has invaded the urban colloquial Hindi vernacular, though, so someone like me who doesn't know that much Hindi can watch a Bollywood movie and understand most of it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »

Very interesting! And it fits with my impressions when travelling Europe.
As you are from Spain, do you have any theories on why Spain (and Portugal) score so low?

Partly because of lack of interest, Spain being a big country and Spanish being a major world language, and partly I presume, because of poor quality instruction. Spanish firms like Telefonica, Santander, BBVA, etc. dominate in Latin America, so even for an educated person who interacts with a lot of foreigners, there is often no need for other languages. Most people from Southern Europe also don't want to up roots and move to an Anglo country, certainly not to the extent of people in parts of Central and Eastern Europe who have been conditioned to do so. They are already living in what most people consider paradise.

I think that map is out of date. I think Portugal should at least be on par with Italy and France.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies