Where in the world are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:02:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where in the world are you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: 365 day poll
USA includes territories

Canada

Mexico

Panama

other North America country

South America

Africa

Antarctica

The Artic region

Australia

Europe

A boat or ship, not in any country

An island

Asia or Japan

other answer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Where in the world are you?  (Read 975 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:22:56 AM »

Panama is an option because I believe that it is in both continents.

Change your vote if you move from one option to another.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »

Depends on how the Brexit negotiations go, I think, whether I'm technically in Europe or on an island.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 10:15:38 AM »

Depends on how the Brexit negotiations go, I think, whether I'm technically in Europe or on an island.
Yes I forgot about England and Ireland. I don't know if they are considered to be part of Europe.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 10:17:27 AM »

Also, I don't remember if I ever learned why Europe and Asia are considered as two distinct continents.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »

What's with this idea that the British Isles are not part of Europe lmao

Also Europe != EU my goodness
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »

What's with this idea that the British Isles are not part of Europe lmao

Also Europe != EU my goodness

I remember after the Leave vote, one of my less politically aware classmates expressed confusion at how a country could leave a continent.

However, I do think that there is a strong positive correlation between how European a Brit considers their country, and how supportive they are of the EU.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »

I don't suppose the tunnel makes a difference.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »

Also, I have always been impressed by how well those in countries where English is not a primary language can speak English.

Am I correct in thinking that mainland Europeans are much more likely to speak English than those in other parts of the world?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »

Obviously Europe.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »

Frayser represent
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »

The free & independent California Republic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »

I'm in a Sticky Fingers where some idiot lady with a foreign accent (I overheard her saying to her companion that she she just flew in from Kiev yesterday and will be leaving for Berlin tomorrow.) got barbeque sauce on her red trenchcoat,  What's more idiotic is she won't take off her red fedora, which I could understand if we at outside tables, but we're inside.

jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 09:20:43 PM »

As the avatar suggests.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 03:40:03 AM »

Panama is an option because I believe that it is in both continents.

Change your vote if you move from one option to another.
How are they special compared to other bicontinental nations like Russia or Turkey?

Bizarre poll options, but not surprising from OP. Arctic region? Asia or Japan?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 06:22:50 AM »

Also, I have always been impressed by how well those in countries where English is not a primary language can speak English.

Am I correct in thinking that mainland Europeans are much more likely to speak English than those in other parts of the world?

Yes and no. Keep in mind that for obvious reasons people on Atlas will speak English pretty well.

Also I think it depends on which part of the world you think of. I am pretty sure that India or parts of Africa have an English fluency that is on par or even slightly better than the average European, although I am never quite sure if English there is a lingua franca, a second language or a first language.

Similarly it also depends on which part of Europe you look at. The Netherlands has an insane English fluency rate, basically everyone can speak it reasonably well there. Meanwhile much of Eastern or Southern Europe has much poorer English literacy rates.

This is self-reported data but it should give a rough idea of English fluency in Europe (even if it is likely to be overestimating slightly):

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:26 AM »

English was mandatory in most private schools where I lived. Granted, that doesn't mean you'll end up being fluent in English (in fact some of my friends sucked at it so much they can barely understand the word "Hello") but if you put a little effort into it you could become pretty decent at it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 07:21:19 AM »

Also I think it depends on which part of the world you think of. I am pretty sure that India or parts of Africa have an English fluency that is on par or even slightly better than the average European, although I am never quite sure if English there is a lingua franca, a second language or a first language.

India has terrible English proficiency levels overall. South India is a bit better, as they often learn English ahead of Hindi as their second language. English has invaded the urban colloquial Hindi vernacular, though, so someone like me who doesn't know that much Hindi can watch a Bollywood movie and understand most of it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »

English was mandatory in most private schools where I lived. Granted, that doesn't mean you'll end up being fluent in English (in fact some of my friends sucked at it so much they can barely understand the word "Hello") but if you put a little effort into it you could become pretty decent at it.

I think that public school proficiency in Spanish schools is probably worse than that of the private ones.

"In theory" students are meant to leave high school with an A2 level of English, and if you go and finish a university degree, you need to have a B1 level of English.

Then again:

1) A2 and B1 aren't exactly great levels of English, especially A2. B1 is a lot better though, but I think you don't get fluent until B2? (which is very good English and perfectly acceptable for most purposes)
2) For at least the college degree part, most of the time there is an "english" class that allows you to skip said requirement and is ridiculously easy.
3) If you do not practice a language regularly, you will eventually forget much of it. I know this first hand as it has happened with my German (which I used to speak a lot better back in the day). And the only reason this has not happened with my English may ironically be Atlas and other such forums Tongue

That also doesn't mean that all or even most public school students do not speak English; many actually do speak English fairly well; but there is also plenty of young people who do not speak English very well.

English-speaking parts of the internet with non-native parts tend to be an extremely unrepresentative sample of said countries.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »

I didn't realize that Austria had a higher English proficiency rate than Finland.

Also, lol Hungary.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »

A lot of it has to do with intelligence. The reason that those here from countries that are not English speaking countries, speak/write it so well has a lot to do with their overall intelligence. Certainly there are many people raised in English speaking countries who aren't as articulate as those from non English speaking countries.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »

In the USA now, as I finally escaped from Tender's basement.

thanks,
Dave
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »

In the USA now, as I finally escaped from Tender's basement.

thanks,
Dave

Sidenote, but where did the Tender basement jokes come from? This is the second time today I find one.

I know there was a high profile kidnapping case in Austria several years back but still? Is it literally just the fact that said case existed?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »

Nice try, CIA.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »

Lurker
Norway
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »

Yes and no. Keep in mind that for obvious reasons people on Atlas will speak English pretty well.

Similarly it also depends on which part of Europe you look at. The Netherlands has an insane English fluency rate, basically everyone can speak it reasonably well there. Meanwhile much of Eastern or Southern Europe has much poorer English literacy rates.

This is self-reported data but it should give a rough idea of English fluency in Europe (even if it is likely to be overestimating slightly):

Very interesting! And it fits with my impressions when travelling Europe.
As you Spanish yourself, do you have any theories on why Spain (and Portugal) score so low?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies