Association Football 2020/21
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 08:14:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Association Football 2020/21
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: Association Football 2020/21  (Read 8569 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2021, 02:29:57 PM »

Some genuinely hilarious Icarus stuff going on here! I think I may have died of laughter.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2021, 02:52:37 PM »

Some genuinely hilarious Icarus stuff going on here! I think I may have died of laughter.

Very true. But as much as this is a sh-tty money grabbing idea, FIFA/UEFA aren't be any means the good guys; look at how much power they have, even getting governments to bid for them. It's all a racket.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2021, 05:06:50 PM »

All Premier League clubs have confirmed their withdrawal. I suppose I can take one tiny bit of pride in my club, Arsenal, as they were the only ones to actually apologise to the fans in their statement.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2021, 05:20:13 PM »

Mundo Desportivo is now saying that UEFA offered a big sum of money to the "big 6" premier league clubs in order to make them quit the Superleague. They also added that no money was offered to the Spanish teams as they see Spain as the enemy.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »

Good news for now, but I can see them attempting it again in a few years after figuring out a more PR-friendly approach to it.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:46 PM »

Everything is suspended. It's now official.

Inter has also left and AC Milan is on the verge of leaving. Chelsea has made it official.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2021, 12:22:45 AM »

Gary neville has the best take on the ESL

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »

This incident should not be forgotten, and action should be taken to find a long-term solution to prevent future attempts. The ringleaders Perez, Agnelli, and the Americans need to be removed, and safeguards put in place to prevent like-for-like replacements.

It is going to be very hilarious if this Super Duper League clownshow blunder costs Andrea Agnelli his post as president of Juventus. Of course it will not actually change anything because he and his family still own the club, lol. As they have done since forever. I guess that explains many things about Juventus.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2021, 08:16:36 AM »

Very true. But as much as this is a sh-tty money grabbing idea, FIFA/UEFA aren't be any means the good guys; look at how much power they have, even getting governments to bid for them. It's all a racket.

If nothing changes we'll be here again in 5 or 10 years, but they'll do it in a smarter way.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »

Only Real Madrid and Barcelona are still in. Might as well rename this thing as the "Jamónleague". Cool
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »

This incident should not be forgotten, and action should be taken to find a long-term solution to prevent future attempts. The ringleaders Perez, Agnelli, and the Americans need to be removed, and safeguards put in place to prevent like-for-like replacements.

It is going to be very hilarious if this Super Duper League clownshow blunder costs Andrea Agnelli his post as president of Juventus. Of course it will not actually change anything because he and his family still own the club, lol. As they have done since forever. I guess that explains many things about Juventus.

Juve, like Real Madrid, have what are probably the strongest values, traditions, and identity of any major club in Europe. The problem is that those values suck.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #286 on: April 21, 2021, 12:36:30 PM »

Juve, like Real Madrid, have what are probably the strongest values, traditions, and identity of any major club in Europe. The problem is that those values suck.

For that reason, it is not surprising that they were the two clubs whose fans actually expressed the most support for the Super League.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2021, 05:21:35 PM »

In other news, in the Portuguese League, Sporting has once again stumble and draw 2-2 with Belenenses. Overall table:

70 Sporting
63 FCPorto (minus 1 game)
58 Braga
57 Benfica (minus 1 game)

Porto will play tomorrow with Vitória de Guimarães. If Porto wins, the margin between them and Sporting drops to 4 points.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2021, 12:57:34 AM »

In other news, in the Portuguese League, Sporting has once again stumble and draw 2-2 with Belenenses. Overall table:

70 Sporting
58 Braga

Porto will play tomorrow with Vitória de Guimarães. If Porto wins, the margin between them and Sporting drops to 4 points.

The project at Vitória de Guimarães is pretty cool. They've been giving chances to a lot of young English players, almost like a Portuguese Dortmund. Marcus Edwards is a great player.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »

70 Sporting
58 Braga

The project at Vitória de Guimarães is pretty cool. They've been giving chances to a lot of young English players, almost like a Portuguese Dortmund. Marcus Edwards is a great player.

Yes, they have Marcus Edwards and Maddox, I believe, but the team is having currently a very negative trend, losing 4 of the last 5 games. Ricardo Quaresma was seen as a big asset for the team but that didn't turned in good results, however.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2021, 07:23:37 AM »

For that reason, it is not surprising that they were the two clubs whose fans actually expressed the most support for the Super League.

When someone first pointed this out to me I remarked "Well, Juventus fans are used to rigged competition".
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2021, 04:34:35 PM »

Watford are the 2nd team to be promoted to the Premier League. The final promotion place will be solved in the playoffs.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »

Match that may decide the Ligue 1 title race is coming up tomorrow. (Lyon-Lille) Allez les Dogues!
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2021, 04:19:34 PM »

Match that may decide the Ligue 1 title race is coming up tomorrow. (Lyon-Lille) Allez les Dogues!
Sensational game, probably the best I've watched all season. It was like a cup final. Lille, PSG and Monaco now all have to go through 5th-placed Lens to win the title...
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2021, 04:57:21 PM »

It's basically over here in Portugal, unfortunately. Sad Cry

Sporting won 0-1 against Braga this evening, making almost impossible for Porto to surpass them. The Braga-Sporting game was very bad with Braga controlling the whole game, but failing to finalize any attack against Sporting. In the end, Sporting got lucky, again, and was able to score during a moment of weakness by Braga.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2021, 06:46:53 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2021, 07:32:09 PM by Santander »

Has there ever been a La Liga title race this good so close to the end? The weekend of May 8-9 could be one of the best match days in Spanish football history.

Also, can the English-speaking media stop pretending the Premier League is so great? (in many cases, they hold broadcasting rights, so it is unavoidable to an extent) A team on 49 points in La Liga just thoroughly outplayed a team on 46 points in the Premier League, and should've won by a lot more than 2-1. Ironically, the best Arsenal played all game was when they were a man down.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #296 on: May 01, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »

Lecce and Salernitana both lost today letting Monza back into the race for the second promotion spot 😡 just when thinks were looking somewhat up. Lecce will have a chance to put a stop to this on Tuesday.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »

Today Inter mathematically won the 2020-2021 Serie A four games in advance. YES! YES! YES!

I had not seen the football team I foremostly root for (aside from maybe Spezia) win anything in a decade. So this is very nice. Even nicer, of course, is having ended the insufferably long streak of Juventus dominance on the Serie A that has characterized this past decade.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2021, 04:16:07 PM »

Two exciting games tonight which were key in their respective leagues’ title races. Barcelona kept their La Liga hopes alive after coming from a goal behind to beat Valencia 3-2 (in spite of a late wonderstrike by Carlos Soler), while Monaco’s Ligue 1 ambitions now probably look to be dead following a dramatic last-minute loss to Lyon (who can now challenge them for a UCL spot) by the same scoreline.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2021, 07:21:02 PM »

Manchester United/Liverpool postponed after Manchester United fans storm old Trafford in protest against Glazer family.

Given it was Manchester United fans that were the cause of this riot, I'm thinking a massive point deduction, if not a forced relegation is appropriate here for Manchester United.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies