If there is an open seat in NJ senate 2024...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:43:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If there is an open seat in NJ senate 2024...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If there is an open seat in NJ senate 2024...  (Read 402 times)
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »

who runs? who wins?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 04:49:21 PM »

So obviously this is in the case of a Menendez retirement. (Which is unlikely, he said he's running for re-election here: https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/menendez-intends-to-run-again-in-2024/)

Republican nominee is irrelevant since the race is Safe D.

Democratic primary candidates could be:

Frank Pallone

Mikie Sherrill

Josh Gottheimer

Sheila Oliver

Some lower-profile state representatives/senators
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:49:55 PM »

There are a lot of people who would be interested in moving up from the delegation, but right now I'd say Mikie Sherrill has the best chance. She's the right political leaning to have an easy victory.

If he gets re-elected and has a good second term, I could also see Murphy running and handing the state over for the last year of his second term.

The Republican bench in NJ is so weak that I have a hard time seeing the general election being too competitive unless the Dems make a very dumb choice in the primary - and I struggle to think who that could be.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »

So obviously this is in the case of a Menendez retirement. (Which is unlikely, he said he's running for re-election here: https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/menendez-intends-to-run-again-in-2024/)

Frank Pallone

Mikie Sherrill

Josh Gottheimer

Sheila Oliver

I know Pallone ran for senate in 2013, but not he's energy chair, would he give that up?

since Menendez almost lost in 2018 would he lose in 2024
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »

Frank Pallone

Mikie Sherrill

Josh Gottheimer

Sheila Oliver

I know Pallone ran for senate in 2013, but not he's energy chair, would he give that up?

Pallone didn't have to give up his House seat to run in 2013, but he would in 2024. And you're right - there's no reason he would go from being chairman/ranking member of a very powerful House Committee to become a freshman Senator in his 70s.

Menendez won by 11 points. That's not almost losing lol. Despite his unpopularity and many issues, I think he would still be favored, although if 2024 shapes up to be a great year for the GOP, it's not impossible that they find their own version of Jaime Harrison who turns it into a real race.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »

Frank Pallone

Mikie Sherrill

Josh Gottheimer

Sheila Oliver

Pallone didn't have to give up his House seat to run in 2013, but he would in 2024. And you're right - there's no reason he would go from being chairman/ranking member of a very powerful House Committee to become a freshman Senator in his 70s.

Menendez won by 11 points. That's not almost losing lol. Despite his unpopularity and many issues, I think he would still be favored, although if 2024 shapes up to be a great year for the GOP, it's not impossible that they find their own version of Jaime Harrison who turns it into a real race.

almost lost is a bit of an overstatement but when I said that I was talking about the primary. yes, he got 60% of the vote, however that is very low given the challenger was a no name with no funding. His approvals amount democrats in a primary isn't great. all you need is one young and energetic challenger and its a real race.

and of course its going to be safe D no matter what
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies