NBC News Townhall Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:23:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  NBC News Townhall Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: NBC News Townhall Thread  (Read 6143 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2020, 08:14:30 AM »

I mean, how embarrassing is it for the President of the United States to be told by a reporter that he shouldn't be retweeting whatever fake crap he encounters on Twitter because he's an important figure and not just "some crazy uncle"?

Yeah, about that....

Trump retweets satirical news story about Joe Biden and Twitter
Retweeting a link entitled "Twitter Shuts Down Entire Network To Slow Spread Of Negative Biden News" – it never happened –Trump said: "Wow, this has never been done in history. This includes his really bad interview last night. Why is Twitter doing this. Bringing more attention to Sleepy Joe & Big T."

Twitter did not do that.

The story was the from the Babylon Bee, a satirical news site. The motto on the Bee's Twitter page says it all: "Fake news you can trust."
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »

Every time, it's the same thing. Trump does an interview, townhall or debate on any medium that isn't slavishly devoted to lifting him up, gets grilled like most politicians do, and then he and his supporters whine incessantly about how unfair it is and how mistreated he is.

Here's a thought: A person who constantly drapes themselves in controversy to get attention is going to get asked hard questions about their behavior. If you don't like that, find someone less controversial to support.

ffs
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »

I don't think Guthrie was unfair, but Trump more than held his own throughout. 
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »

Being on the west coast I decided to see Trump's town hall because it had already been held and aired and I read about it, and it sounded like similar type 'entertainment' of a train wreck.

I agree that Savannah Guthrie did a reasonable job, but I think she could have been much better.

I also agree with this from the Canadian trade negotiator Gordon Ritchie. Gordon Ritchie helped negotiate the original NAFTA and he was part of Canada's negotiating team with the new NAFTA negotiations. I heard this from him on the radio, so this isn't the exact quote, but it expresses his ideas correctly:

'What I tell people having negotiated with Trump is there is no need to get into any psychological analysis of him. I'm not saying that he doesn't have psychological issues but there is no need to wonder about his sanity, or conversely believe that he is playing some kind of four dimensional chess. All you need to know when dealing with Donald Trump is that he is appallingly ignorant.' ('Appallingly ignorant' is the exact term he used.)

For all of Savannah Guthrie keeping Trump in check, there were all sorts of times where Trump hid his obvious lack of knowledge by using adjectives "this is the best that could be done. It's beautiful" and so on.

I would have liked if at least once Savannah Guthrie had pressed Trump for details and forced him to expose his appalling ignorance.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »

Again, it needs to be stated: Trump is the worst president ever.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »

it's easy to hold your own when you don't care about facts and just lie all the time
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »

Again, it needs to be stated: Trump is the worst president ever.

There he goes again.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »

Anyone else notice the bobble-head over trump's shoulder?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2020, 09:38:48 AM »

Yes, she turns out to be a Trump grifter who ran for Congress and snaps pictures with Pence, Stone, and DeSantis.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2020, 10:17:01 AM »

I appreciate Guthrie's needling, but I really wish, just once, just once please, a journalist would take one of these questions and just hold Trump down and force him to answer it.

Trump squirms out of tough questions by saying things like "I don't know, maybe" or "we'll have to see" or "I don't remember that" or "we're going to do something really great, you'll see."

For instance, there was the following exchange:

"Just this week, you retweeted to your 87 million followers, a conspiracy theory that Joe biden had Seal Team Six killed to cover up the fake death of Bin Laden.  Now why would you send a lie like that to your followers?"

"That was a retweet.  That was an opinion of somebody.  I put it out there and people can decide for themselves."

"I don't get that, you're the president, you're not just someone's crazy uncle who can just retweet whatever."

"That was a retweet, I do a lot of retweets, and frankly because the media is so corrupt, if I didn't have social media, I wouldn't be able to get the word out.  And the word is, we're building our country stronger and better than it's ever been before."

Guthrie lets it go here, but I want to see someone really hold him down on this.  Follow-ups like:

"So do you believe, as you retweeted, that Biden had Seal Team Six killed to cover up the fact that Osama bin Laden is still alive?"

and if he says "I don't know", say

"How can you 'not know' that?  Because most people read something like that and say, well that's obviously not true, but you look at it and say, maybe it is true?"

ask him whether he actually read the article, if there are any arguments he remembers from it that were particularly compelling.  Ask him "do you think it's appropriate presidential behavior to tweet out this crazy conspiracy theory to the entire nation when you don't even have an opinion on whether it's true or not?"

"I mean if I tweet out something similarly crazy like that Melania is a spy working for North Korea, would you see that and also retweet it out so your followers can 'decide for themselves'?  How do you decide what you want everyone to see and what's too crazy to share?"

and so on.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »

The President lost the ratings war.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »

The President lost the ratings war.

He'll probably win once everything is in, but the early stories usually set the narrative.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2020, 03:39:25 PM »

Yes, she turns out to be a Trump grifter who ran for Congress and snaps pictures with Pence, Stone, and DeSantis.

How the heck did she end up in the audience? I thought the whole point of these events was to pack them with undecided voters?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2020, 04:45:25 PM »

I appreciate Guthrie's needling, but I really wish, just once, just once please, a journalist would take one of these questions and just hold Trump down and force him to answer it.

Trump squirms out of tough questions by saying things like "I don't know, maybe" or "we'll have to see" or "I don't remember that" or "we're going to do something really great, you'll see."

I know exactly what you mean. This happens here in Australia. The media have this invisible deal to give up after 2 questions.

She is a dumb Barbie Doll with an intelligent person in her ear-piece telling her the follow up questions.

There wasn't going to be any cornering of the wild beast with her line of questioning and that setup.

This is what you get when employ supermodels as journalists.

She was nervous, she interjected way too much on the weird QAnon question and the she lost any momentum for her case against Trump.

I dont see why they dont get Shields and Brooks.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. This happens here in Australia. The media have this invisible deal to give up after 2 questions.

She is a dumb Barbie Doll with an intelligent person in her ear-piece telling her the follow up questions.

There wasn't going to be any cornering of the wild beast with her line of questioning and that setup.

She was nervous, she interjected way too much on the weird QAnon question and the she lost any momentum for her case against Trump.

Thank God you aren't sexist dude.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2020, 06:52:38 PM »

Trump's family are losers. Donald Trump doesn't talk about losers.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2020, 04:43:17 AM »

While degrees aren't anywhere near everything, I will note that Guthrie has a J.D. from Georgetown (one of the best law schools in the nation). 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »

These Town Halls and debates aren't that useful, voters want to know when are things gonna open up, and a vaccine. Crt packing and UBI benefits arent priorities now and the third debate is gonna have same problem. Voters just want their tax refunds and 1200 stimulus

Trump promised a vaccine along with phases of reopenings, all we have are testing sites outside of clinics for Coronavirus
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2020, 12:52:06 PM »

I think Savannah Guthrie played into Trumps paradigm of the media being dumb and fake.

She was terrible to the point of being only partially effective.

I thought Trump nailed her on many points simply by annoying her.

What a good little Goose stepper you are.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2020, 12:55:50 PM »

ROTFLMFAO!! Dude, by any objective standard he shat the bed.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2020, 09:44:30 PM »

Guthrie acted the way she did to mollify NBC employees who resented NBC giving Trump debate time at the same time as Biden.  They did not want the Trump event to detract from Biden's attempt.  That ought to tell people something about the depth of the bias of the media. 

Trump held his own against a moderator with both a political and a personal agenda.  He's had to debate the moderator in his first two (2) events.  Joe Biden hasn't had to because the tough questions (Hunter's corruption and how Joe is part of that, giving Antifa and BLM free passes on violence, court packing, our policy on China, and specifics of Biden's COVID-19 plans that are actually different from Trump's, and disclosure as to his own health information) were not asked by Biden's moderator on the other network.  The "undecided" voters on Biden's "town hall" included a former speechwriter for the Obama White House.  (That man should be confronted by reporters and asked why, as a member of the inner Obama White House is he "undecided".)

Why can't Joe Biden be in a nationally televised event vigorously questioned by a Republican journalist who's not a #NeverTrumper?  Why can't he be asked about why he won't condemn BLM and Antifa for their violence?  Why can't he be asked about Hunter Biden and the corruption that is beginning to may Biden look like Spiro Agnew?  Why can't he answer questions about his role in the Presidential transition during which he suggested application of the Logan Act against Michael Flynn; about what he knew and what Barack Obama knew about these events?

The answer is that Biden CAN, but he WON'T.  He won't because he's a fading coward who now (apparently) has something to hide that will contaminate his Administration from Day One.  And now he's all about the money.  The Big Tech Companies won't be able to hide this, and it's going to be awful if (and, IMO, when) the Hunter Biden issues cause people to see Biden as Agnew, "the big guy", "my guy" taking payments.  Taking kickbacks from his own son is how the e-mails read. 

An interrogation for Trump.  A friendly interview for Biden.  That's what happens.  Is that honest?  Is that putting first the interests of honestly undecided Americans who are seeking honest answers to serious questions?  Biden is getting a free pass, and now the free pass is on Spiro Agnew-esque behavior while VP that is coming back to haunt him, but that Agnew-esque legacy of Biden will also haunt all of America if he's elected.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »

Guthrie acted the way she did to mollify NBC employees who resented NBC giving Trump debate time at the same time as Biden.  They did not want the Trump event to detract from Biden's attempt.  That ought to tell people something about the depth of the bias of the media. 

Trump held his own against a moderator with both a political and a personal agenda.  He's had to debate the moderator in his first two (2) events.  Joe Biden hasn't had to because the tough questions (Hunter's corruption and how Joe is part of that, giving Antifa and BLM free passes on violence, court packing, our policy on China, and specifics of Biden's COVID-19 plans that are actually different from Trump's, and disclosure as to his own health information) were not asked by Biden's moderator on the other network.  The "undecided" voters on Biden's "town hall" included a former speechwriter for the Obama White House.  (That man should be confronted by reporters and asked why, as a member of the inner Obama White House is he "undecided".)

Why can't Joe Biden be in a nationally televised event vigorously questioned by a Republican journalist who's not a #NeverTrumper?  Why can't he be asked about why he won't condemn BLM and Antifa for their violence?  Why can't he be asked about Hunter Biden and the corruption that is beginning to may Biden look like Spiro Agnew?  Why can't he answer questions about his role in the Presidential transition during which he suggested application of the Logan Act against Michael Flynn; about what he knew and what Barack Obama knew about these events?

The answer is that Biden CAN, but he WON'T.  He won't because he's a fading coward who now (apparently) has something to hide that will contaminate his Administration from Day One.  And now he's all about the money.  The Big Tech Companies won't be able to hide this, and it's going to be awful if (and, IMO, when) the Hunter Biden issues cause people to see Biden as Agnew, "the big guy", "my guy" taking payments.  Taking kickbacks from his own son is how the e-mails read. 

An interrogation for Trump.  A friendly interview for Biden.  That's what happens.  Is that honest?  Is that putting first the interests of honestly undecided Americans who are seeking honest answers to serious questions?  Biden is getting a free pass, and now the free pass is on Spiro Agnew-esque behavior while VP that is coming back to haunt him, but that Agnew-esque legacy of Biden will also haunt all of America if he's elected.

What journalist would you suggest?

According to Pew Research, Democrats have at least +10 net trust in the following sources of journalism:

NPR, PBS, BBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, NYT, Time, WaPo, CNN, Newsweek, Politico, MSNBC, WSJ, USA Today, Univision, The Guardian.

Meanwhile, Republicans have at least +10 net trust in the following sources of journalism:

Fox News, Hannity, Rush Limbaugh

(even Republicans only have +3 net trust in Breitbart).

So what journalists would you trust?  Limbaugh isn't a journalist.  Hannity isn't a journalist.  We tried getting Fox News' top journalist to do the debate and you all have been at war with Chris Wallace ever since.  Who's your guy who's gonna give Biden a fair shakedown?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies