NBC News Townhall Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:23:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  NBC News Townhall Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: NBC News Townhall Thread  (Read 6199 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:44 PM »

By the way, Trump did pivot to the problems in Europe when asked about his poor handling of coronavirus.
I think that will be the theme until the election.

If you haven't noticed yet, Trump doesn't have control of the narrative. He hasn't for years now.
i guess that a rare positive from the trump administration. he cant successfuly control "narratives" or get people over to agree with him
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2020, 09:49:04 PM »

Guthrie was hostile, confrontational and downright rude and Trump more than held his own.

Let's see Biden hold up to a line of questioning like that.   He would wilt within 20 minutes.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2020, 09:51:15 PM »

By the end of the day Trump got the event he wanted

If republicans or Trump supporters want to get upset at anybody
get upset at Trump for setting this up in the first place

He agreed to do this and who agreed to let Savannah Guthrie moderate
If Trump was not happy with that he could have easliy turned NBC down and went to Fox News and did a townhall on their network

He has no one to blame for this but himself

I think you got this wrong. Nobody is complaining. She was very hostile and biased. And her style of questioning was belligerent and rude. The people don't like that and just because of that fact, Trump won the debate with the moderator.

People don't sympathize with Trump. Even when he was receiving oxygen practically on his death bed at Walter Reed he didn't get any sympathy from the voters. A reporter asking him reasonable questions and not letting him dodge them isn't going to make people outside of the cult view him more favorably. If Trump is speaking, he's losing.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »

Guthrie was hostile, confrontational and downright rude and Trump more than held his own.

Let's see Biden hold up to a line of questioning like that.   He would wilt within 20 minutes.

It's clear you didn't watch a second of Biden's town hall.
Asta

« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »

Trump is one of the last people that deserves sympathy for confrontation and rude remarks against him.
indietraveler

« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:45 PM »

Watched none of this and at this point, I'm done even trying to catch anything the president says.

Sounds like if he can't put up with a moderator he should just get out of office.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2020, 10:56:55 PM »

Watched none of this and at this point, I'm done even trying to catch anything the president says.

Sounds like if he can't put up with a moderator he should just get out of office.

Did you consider going Trump in 2020 at any point in the past 4 years?
indietraveler

« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2020, 11:02:54 PM »

Because of the amount of sarcasm on this site I'm not sure how to take your question, but hell no. I think it's important to stay informed overall so I try to keep up with events. Even if I don't agree with someone it's important to hear what else is out there - however, we know what's out there now. It's bullsh**t. I'm just done. My vote is in. I'm f-cking done.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2020, 11:05:16 PM »

Because of the amount of sarcasm on this site I'm not sure how to take your question, but hell no. I think it's important to stay informed overall so I try to keep up with events. Even if I don't agree with someone it's important to hear what else is out there - however, we know what's out there now. It's bullsh**t. I'm just done. My vote is in. I'm f-cking done.
I asked because Trump absolutely needs the sorts of toss-up independents to win Iowa and the election. If people who strongly considered him at some point in the past 4 years are this done with him, he's close to being sunk.
But independents vary enormously in political views and mindsets, so I wanted to know which kind of independent you are.
indietraveler

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »

I asked because Trump absolutely needs the sorts of toss-up independents to win Iowa and the election. If people who strongly considered him at some point in the past 4 years are this done with him, he's close to being sunk.
But independents vary enormously in political views and mindsets, so I wanted to know which kind of independent you are.

oh got it. i'm generally left/moderate on things. i prefer solutions even if i don't get everything i want. i'm definitely not some sort of purist but i have zero tolerance on things like anti-science stances and discrimination towards minority groups. i fit closer with democrats but think the party as a whole deserves some of the criticism coming at them.

fwiw i've seen some family members who i always thought of as apolitical speaking out on social media against Trump. i have conservative christian friends who maybe can't bring themselves to vote for Biden but are voting 3rd party after being republican everything for years and years. his rally in des moines sure didn't win over anyone new.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2020, 11:21:23 PM »

oh got it. i'm generally left/moderate on things. i prefer solutions even if i don't get everything i want. i'm definitely not some sort of purist but i have zero tolerance on things like anti-science stances and discrimination towards minority groups. i fit closer with democrats but think the party as a whole deserves some of the criticism coming at them.

fwiw i've seen some family members who i always thought of as apolitical speaking out on social media against Trump. i have conservative christian friends who maybe can't bring themselves to vote for Biden but are voting 3rd party after being republican everything for years and years. his rally in des moines sure didn't win over anyone new.
thanks for the thorough answer. I guess this points to on-the-ground evidence, albeit anecdotal, that Trump's likely to do well below his 2020 benchmarks.
indietraveler

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2020, 11:32:45 PM »

thanks for the thorough answer. I guess this points to on-the-ground evidence, albeit anecdotal, that Trump's likely to do well below his 2020 benchmarks.

my bad for continuing to derail this thread, but also forgot to add the several liberal people i know who wrote in Bernie, stayed home, or voted 3rd party last time who are fine with Biden. i lectured them long ago on that...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2020, 11:39:08 PM »

my bad for continuing to derail this thread, but also forgot to add the several liberal people i know who wrote in Bernie, stayed home, or voted 3rd party last time who are fine with Biden. i lectured them long ago on that...
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=404419.0
here's a thread you can continue speaking on the subject all you want.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2020, 01:54:43 AM »

Just a quick note that when the president of the United States says that the "doesn't know" a group the FBI declared a domestic terrorist threat (QAnon), then the president is incredibly and severely underinformed. There is no reason for him not to know them.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2020, 02:00:33 AM »

She only cared about irrelevant gotcha questions.

Ah yes the incredibly unfair gotcha questions of "scrutinizing his twitter behavior which he has full agency of" and "denouncing far-right domestic terrorism"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2020, 02:28:59 AM »

We did tonight. He did.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2020, 03:14:55 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2020, 06:42:06 AM by Ye Olde Europe »

Took 20 minutes for voters to begin asking questions.  This is a hit piece if I’ve ever seen one!

Being asked questions is not a hit piece. Sounds like Trump isn't POTUS material if he can't handle softballs like "Will you commit to a peaceful transfer of power?"

Well, the media asking "Will you commit to a peaceful transfer of power?" obviously underlines that the media is the enemy of the people. As President, Donald Trump is the physical embodiment of the people and the people's will and therefore attacking him equals an attack on the people and on democracy itself. If he's re-relected he needs to temporarily suspend the constitution as quickly as possible so that he can locate and root out all anti-American Antifa terrorist sympathizers within the media as efficiently as possible.  Tongue

Seriously though, the fact that this is even a matter of debate shows how much authoritarian and anti-democratic ideas and behaviour have been normalized by Trump the last four years. At least among his own supporters, I guess. Just imagine Mitt Romney trying to feint ignorance on something like QAnon or refusing to commit to a peaceful transition back in 2012. Obama probably would have won in a 450+ EV landslide. That is if Romney hadn't been pressured to drop out of the race and be replaced by Ryan before election day, which I think would have also been a likely scenario.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2020, 04:33:32 AM »

We saw Biden handle confrontation and rudeness during Trump’s disastrous performance in the first debate.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2020, 05:04:17 AM »

LMAO it's truly hilarious to see people getting mad at Savannah for asking him legitimate questions. Sorry fam, this wasn't a Fox interview.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2020, 05:05:03 AM »

How can we expect Trump to be tough with Kim and and Putin when he can't handle Savannah Guthrie?
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2020, 06:02:43 AM »

I mean, how embarrassing is it for the President of the United States to be told by a reporter that he shouldn't be retweeting whatever fake crap he encounters on Twitter because he's an important figure and not just "some crazy uncle"?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2020, 06:13:57 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2020, 07:28:19 AM by Meclazine »

I think Savannah Guthrie played into Trumps paradigm of the media being dumb and fake.

She was terrible to the point of being only partially effective.

I thought Trump nailed her on many points simply by annoying her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2020, 06:36:39 AM »

I think Savannah Guthrie played into Trumps paradigm ofvthe media being dumb and fake.

She was terrible to the point of being only partially effective.

I thought Trump nailed her on many points.

This is delusional. Guthrie could've gone even further in holding him accountable.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2020, 06:45:02 AM »

Trump blustered and lied and couldn’t really answer the questions, but he didn’t look sick or exhausted and if you don’t know anything and are willing to take the nonsense he says at face value, you can squint and see someone who looks like an imitation of a capable leader, and that covers 42% of America.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2020, 06:48:03 AM »

Swan wasn't any less confrontational than Guthrie. We all know why Trump and MAGAtards attacked so viciously the latter but not the former.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies