Do non-Abrahamic religions forbid Homosexuality?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:48:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do non-Abrahamic religions forbid Homosexuality?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do non-Abrahamic religions forbid Homosexuality?  (Read 691 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »

Title. In places where Abrahamic faiths are more practiced or part of the culture, homosexuality is frowned upon. IN some cases this changed outside for the most devout adherents.

But do religions from other parts of the world condemn homosexuality?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »

From what I know is that Ruiism, Zoroastrianism, and most famously Scientology forbids homosexual—and indeed all gender nonconforming— acts outright.

Buddhism looks down upon homosexual acts if you interpret such passages barring unconventional sexual practices, and there are Hindu sects like the Hare Krishnas that say it prevents you from achieving to the highest stage.

In traditions developed in less stratified societies—Diasporic or indigenous Shamanism and Folk practices—they’re less opposed to it and even understanding in some sense that it isn’t a “choice” or a societal ill. This includes the Two-Spirit found in several North American cultures and the feminine or masculine Orishas found in practices originating from Bantu cultures in West Africa. Outside of that, there’s LGBTQ+ specific traditions and practices in the modern times; several Wiccan covens, a restarted Chinese religion venerating a homosexual Rabbit god, and a society in North America that worships “a purple f@••ot god”.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 03:26:52 PM »

Because of non affirming faiths, I think we're likely to see more ironic/non ironic LGBT/queer cults take root, if Gen Z choses to embrace some sort of spirituality. It's there in some corners already with tarot/astrology.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:10:40 AM »

Because of non affirming faiths, I think we're likely to see more ironic/non ironic LGBT/queer cults take root, if Gen Z choses to embrace some sort of spirituality. It's there in some corners already with tarot/astrology.

There is also the Metropolitan Community Church which was specifically created by and for LGBT Christians. I used to know a transwoman who was strongly affiliated with the church in Chicago, and she said that it was growing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 02:43:32 AM »

There is also the Metropolitan Community Church which was specifically created by and for LGBT Christians. I used to know a transwoman who was strongly affiliated with the church in Chicago, and she said that it was growing.

Yes. And of course a shout out to the Quakers. LGBT Christians unfortunately are more often than not having to forge their own spaces but that's been the case with oppressed groups in the Christian community throughout it's history.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 08:00:07 AM »

Many orthodox forms of Buddhism see homosexuality as a form of sexual impropriety, but it's not as foregrounded an issue in some areas as in others. Japanese Buddhism, for example, traditionally has a fairly lax attitude towards sexuality (perhaps influenced by millennia of proximity to the very lax Shinto), whereas in places like much of Southeast Asia the prevalent forms of homophobia take on a much more distinctly religious cast.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »

I do not see any reason to believe that Hinduism "forbids" homosexuality, but there are certainly Hindus who do use scripture to justify their own personal anti-gay rhetoric.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies