Europe imposing lockdowns again. Could this help Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:02:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Europe imposing lockdowns again. Could this help Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Europe imposing lockdowns again. Could this help Trump?  (Read 3391 times)
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »

No, it will just reaffirm that this pandemic is serious and highlight how foolish Trump looks for acting as if it does not exist/telling the public not to fear it and live your life.

I am not sure I favor another lockdown, but I do favor a national mask mandate. I also oppose my state lifting restaurant/bar capacity limits.

Mask mandates were in place all over Europe and they didn't help.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 10:12:49 AM »

Downplaying the need for COVID precautions doesn't help Republicans. Pretending that America's response has been anything other than a disaster is electoral suicide.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »

Every time someone on this forum asks if something can help Trump, he drops 2 points in the polls.

So by all means, keep it up.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

No, it will just reaffirm that this pandemic is serious and highlight how foolish Trump looks for acting as if it does not exist/telling the public not to fear it and live your life.

I am not sure I favor another lockdown, but I do favor a national mask mandate. I also oppose my state lifting restaurant/bar capacity limits.

They kept case counts relatively low for months.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 10:54:15 AM »

But it's out of control now. Masks aren't helping.
They are resorting to lockdowns, but that is just a repetition of what they did during the spring.

We need to consider other proposals.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »

Downplaying the need for COVID precautions doesn't help Republicans. Pretending that America's response has been anything other than a disaster is electoral suicide.

If Trump doesn't succeed in framing his coronavirus response as a relative success, he will lose the election.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

They are resorting to lockdowns, but that is just a repetition of what they did during the spring.

Without masks, Europe would have needed a second lockdown a lot sooner, so yes they’re helping even if it’s not the end all be all.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »

Without masks, Europe would have needed a second lockdown a lot sooner, so yes they’re helping even if it’s not the end all be all.

Or they would have been in a better situation. They would have had the coronavirus cases stuck at a higher level, but without surges and lockdowns. It is doubtful if they will be able to recover economically from this second round of lockdowns.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »

Of course this will not help Trump. It just reinforces that the pandemic is serious, which Trump denies. Every second the focus is on COVID, it hurts Trump.

This is proof that lockdowns don't work.
I think it helps Trump. He can talk about what Biden would do rather than what he did.
He can't escape COVID.

In what way is this proof that lockdowns don't work? Lockdowns weren't imposed to eradicate the virus, only vaccines can achieve that. Lockdowns are a means to save lives and right now certain lockdown measures are required in Europe to save lives.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »

Of course this will not help Trump. It just reinforces that the pandemic is serious, which Trump denies. Every second the focus is on COVID, it hurts Trump.

I think it helps Trump. He can talk about what Biden would do rather than what he did.
He can't escape COVID.

In what way is this proof that lockdowns don't work? Lockdowns weren't imposed to eradicate the virus, only vaccines can achieve that. Lockdowns are a means to save lives and right now certain lockdown measures are required in Europe to save lives.

Why are lockdowns required in Europe and not required in the United States?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »

ITT I learned that Europe is a country.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2020, 02:12:08 PM by Kalimantan »

He can't escape COVID.

Because we don't want as many of our citizens to die as is happening in the states? What sort of question is that?

Look, there might be a hundred reasons who different levels of lockdown are required or not, I live in a rural part of England and there is no lockdown here, its only in a couple of cities where cases re high but even there its just pubs and restaurants closed, work places and schools are still open.

But to the original point - this proves that lockdowns don't work, it's complete nonsense. The first lockdown was demonstrably highly successful in reducing cases, releasing pressure on hospitals and saving lives. We are a long long way off doing that again, and the improvement in medical care and survival rates means we almost certainly won't see another full lockdown. But gentler measures designed to reduce the spread and keep a lid on it makes complete sense.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »

This has to be satire
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »

Europe bump?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2020, 02:11:29 PM »

He can't escape COVID.

Because we don't want as many of our citizens to die as is happening in the states? What sort of question is that?

The total number of people who died in Europe is not much better than the total number of people who died in the US.
That's not the reason you are imposing a second lockdown. It's because of the sharp rise in the number of cases.

Europe has more cases, more fatalities and worse economy right now than the United States, which is evidence that Europe has handled coronavirus crisis poorly.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »

Yes. Trump's handling of coronavirus was great compared to Europe.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »

A lot like the #goyabump lol.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »

lol. How come the US has the highest number of deaths?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »

Europe will overtake the US. Just watch.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »

He can't escape COVID.

The total number of people who died in Europe is not much better than the total number of people who died in the US.
That's not the reason you are imposing a second lockdown. It's because of the sharp rise in the number of cases.

Europe has more cases, more fatalities and worse economy right now than the United States, which is evidence that Europe has handled coronavirus crisis poorly.

I expanded on my original post, have a look there. We are way more densely populated than the US, so not surprising that higher fatalities. Nevertheless, if you look at death rates per head of population for states like NY, CT, NJ, it's a lot higher than in Europe. We are responding to an increase in cases. If you don't need to, good, I'm pleased.

But its not a competition, its about saving lives. Certain sectors of the economy are struggling, but our governnents have put our taxes to good use in looking after those sectors and people who have lost their jobs, not a perfect job, but not bad. We're getting through it as a nation
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2020, 02:20:41 PM »

The US will end up with probably 600,000 death of Coronavirus by the end of the year, whereas Europe might only have 300,000 total. The only European countries that really screwed up with their Coronavirus responses were the UK, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. The rest of Europe isn’t in that bad of shape to be honest with you due to the fact that lockdowns and stay at home orders were strictly enforced. I would say that Italy, Spain, and Portugal botched their handling of the Coronavirus pandemic due to the influence of the Catholic Church, whereas the UK handled the Coronavirus poorly due to Boris Johnson’s failed policies.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »

Its not a competition. We have to assume that everybody everywhere will get exposed at some point. It's just about slowing the spread enough so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed, and for effective treatments and hopefully a vaccine to be developed. That way the number of unnecessary deaths is reduced.

Ultimately its 'herd immunity' but rushing headlong into that will result in a lot of avoidable deaths.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »

The US will end up with probably 600,000 death of Coronavirus by the end of the year, whereas Europe might only have 300,000 total. The only European countries that really screwed up with their Coronavirus responses were the UK, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. The rest of Europe isn’t in that bad of shape to be honest with you due to the fact that lockdowns and stay at home orders were strictly enforced. I would say that Italy, Spain, and Portugal botched their handling of the Coronavirus pandemic due to the influence of the Catholic Church, whereas the UK handled the Coronavirus poorly due to Boris Johnson’s failed policies.

I can't stand Johnson, but it wasn't his fault. He wanted to impose lockdown earlier but - in a remarkable diversion from normality - he listened to his scientific advisors who wanted to delay and try a bit of 'herd immunity'. They got their models wrong and had to do a-turn a week too late.

We did mess up the supply of PPE and the testing system, but that's the fault of Cameron, Osborne and their fixation on austerity. If you underfund everything enough don't be surprised when it doesn't work when needed.

We reported every case as civid even if not the only cause of death. Most countries with a terminally ill cancer patient dying would call it cancer, but if it was covid that finished them off that's we would liat them as a covid death. So our numbers look high, but I believe if you compare 'excess deaths' during the spring we match or come under most countries.

Finally, London, like NY city and Paris, is the perfect home for this virus. A study showed that the virus arrived in London on at least 2,300 different occasions. A city with people arriving from all over the world, with a densely packed mass transit system, perfect for this virus. Very hard to avoid the number of cases we had in London.
mijan
Rookie
Bangladesh

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »

Big No
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies