Guidelines of decorum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:44:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Guidelines of decorum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Guidelines of decorum  (Read 8414 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 11:43:19 PM »

So we have devolved to the point where our freedom of expression is limited only that which does not offend?  If our first ammendment rights do not provide the right express ideas which are offensive to the majority of people then we have no "individual" rights but only majority rights. What a tragedy.

Yes there are limits on free speech such as "yelling fire in a crowded theatre," slander, and language that is outrageously profane, but we must be viligint to resist the temptation to force conformation by means of sanitation which is accomplished under the heading of subjects such as "Guidelines of decorum."   "Give me liberty or death."

I think you miss the point of "freedom" -

No right is absolute, and all expressions of freedom must be respectful of the rights of others, for without mutual respect there is no true freedom, just the tyranny of whomever happens to have the largest army or the biggest gun.

Your right to invoke all your powers of reason, logic, and evidence to attack my views and positions (or advocate for your own) is indeed absolute, but in doing so you have no inherent right to degrade, demean, or insult my person or any other.

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:24 PM »

So we have devolved to the point where our freedom of expression is limited only that which does not offend?  If our first ammendment rights do not provide the right express ideas which are offensive to the majority of people then we have no "individual" rights but only majority rights. What a tragedy.

Yes there are limits on free speech such as "yelling fire in a crowded theatre," slander, and language that is outrageously profane, but we must be viligint to resist the temptation to force conformation by means of sanitation which is accomplished under the heading of subjects such as "Guidelines of decorum."   "Give me liberty or death."

I think you miss the point of "freedom" -

No right is absolute, and all expressions of freedom must be respectful of the rights of others, for without mutual respect there is no true freedom, just the tyranny of whomever happens to have the largest army or the biggest gun.

Your right to invoke all your powers of reason, logic, and evidence to attack my views and positions (or advocate for your own) is indeed absolute, but in doing so you have no inherent right to degrade, demean, or insult my person or any other.

Finally, thr great Vorlon returns. Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies