S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)  (Read 999 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« on: October 15, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »

I think that instead of tightening the punishments, we should make the legal immigration process easier so that those who wish to live in Atlasia, whether for personal pleasure or escape from tyranny, shall be able to do so easier without breaking our laws. Therefore, I just don't think this bill is the best answer to the region's immigration question.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »

I think that instead of tightening the punishments, we should make the legal immigration process easier so that those who wish to live in Atlasia, whether for personal pleasure or escape from tyranny, shall be able to do so easier without breaking our laws. Therefore, I just don't think this bill is the best answer to the region's immigration question.

We are not tightening any punishments. We are just enforcing the laws of the land. People are not allowed to break the law just because they feel like it. If you want to make legal immigration easier, I believe that is a matter of federal law. We do not have open borders because it would completely obliterate our current welfare programs that are so important for poor Atlasians.

Can someone provide me with the current immigration laws? If they're looser in game than they are IRL, then I could maybe support this.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »

AN ACT
To support federal officers in enforcing our laws

Section 1: Naming and Definitions.

I. The name of this act shall be: "Enforcing Our Laws"
II. "Sanctuary cities" is defined as a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law.

Section 2: End Sanctuary Cities

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement. Cities that do not follow this rule will be stripped of all50% of said city's regional funding.

Section 3: Religious Protection

I. Southern law enforcement will not carry out immigration arrests on property owned by religious groups.

Section 4: Immigration Statement

I. The Southern Chamber declares, "The South welcomes all immigrants who come to the South legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".

Proposing an amendment.

Also, what does it mean when municipal laws "tend to protect" something? I don't like the wording of §1.2, it just seems too vague for a bill that decides whether or not a city's regional funding gets stripped.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »

Changing it to 50% funding instead of cut at all just seems like a joke.

Yes, 50% is a joke. I would've gone for 100%, but honestly, that would've rustled some of the Chamber's jimmies, so 50% it is.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 08:13:05 AM »

AYE
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2020, 07:04:39 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

I will not object to the motion, but I have something that I want to say. If you plan on voting on this bill, my fellow delegates, regardless of your position, listen to my words before you cast your vote.

I am not going to tell you how to feel about immigration. What I am going to tell you is that this bill does a terrible job at what it tries to do, and regardless of your thoughts on the subject, you should shoot this down.

First of all, it's badly written. What does it mean for a city to have municipal laws that "tend to protect" these undocumented immigrants? This wording is extremely vague, and I don't like what it could spell when the region actually, well, enforces this law. What does and doesn't count as "tending to protect" is blurry and confusing. With text like this, it's up to the region's financial and enforcement agencies to make heads or tails of whatever this vague text means.

Second of all, it's not up to the South to uphold federal Atlasian law, that's obviously the responsibility of the federal government. While federal law does apply in our region, it's not the job of the South to enforce such law. If you think that the federal government hasn't done a good enough job of upholding its immigration policies, then run for Congress so that the federal government doesn't need to rely on the regions to uphold its own damn laws.

The meaning is blurrier than a mirror in a sauna, the wording is fuzzier than a teddy bear, and the logic behind the region enforcing laws it didn't even create is more backwards than Leinad's username. I don't care how you feel about undocumented immigration, but no matter what your position is on the issue, you should reject this bill.

I yield the floor.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »

NAY (please read reply #26 on this topic)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 03:02:50 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

Those who voted against this are an embarrassment to the South and its values.

Regardless of your thoughts on undocumented immigration, this was a poorly written bill that didn't do a good job of executing what it tried to do. It is not the duty of the Southern Region to enforce federal law, that's the job of the federal government. If this was a House or Senate bill, I wouldn't have given that soliloquy.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »

Regardless of your thoughts on undocumented immigration, this was a poorly written bill that didn't do a good job of executing what it tried to do. It is not the duty of the Southern Region to enforce federal law, that's the job of the federal government. If this was a House or Senate bill, I wouldn't have given that soliloquy.

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to protect people who have no right to be here.

I care about citizens, and I'm a-okay with enforcing the law. However, this particular bill is dumb, but could work if improved a little bit and sent to the proper legislative body.

Answer my questions about the vague wording. Post the bill in the right submission thread. Then I'll stop complaining.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:31:30 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to protect people who have no right to be here.

I care about citizens, and I'm a-okay with enforcing the law. However, this particular bill is dumb, but could work if improved a little bit and sent to the proper legislative body.

Answer my questions about the vague wording. Post the bill in the right submission thread. Then I'll stop complaining.

There was nothing improper about the bill being introduced into this legislative body.

It is improper, though. Immigration law in this country is decided by the federal government, not the regional one. Why should a legislative body with no control over immigration policy have any say on how it's enforced?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:35:25 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to sit around and complain and pick fights all day.

Last I checked, you are not registered in the South. Your opinion here isn't welcome or relevant.  

Last I checked, this bill failed days ago. Please stop commentating on the thread of a dead bill and take up this fight somewhere else.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »

Mr. Speaker, or Lumine/Yankee, can this thread be locked?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies