S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)  (Read 1049 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »

With all voting, this amendment has failed.

I am calling for a final vote, delegates have 24 hours to object and offer any final amendments.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2020, 07:04:39 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

I will not object to the motion, but I have something that I want to say. If you plan on voting on this bill, my fellow delegates, regardless of your position, listen to my words before you cast your vote.

I am not going to tell you how to feel about immigration. What I am going to tell you is that this bill does a terrible job at what it tries to do, and regardless of your thoughts on the subject, you should shoot this down.

First of all, it's badly written. What does it mean for a city to have municipal laws that "tend to protect" these undocumented immigrants? This wording is extremely vague, and I don't like what it could spell when the region actually, well, enforces this law. What does and doesn't count as "tending to protect" is blurry and confusing. With text like this, it's up to the region's financial and enforcement agencies to make heads or tails of whatever this vague text means.

Second of all, it's not up to the South to uphold federal Atlasian law, that's obviously the responsibility of the federal government. While federal law does apply in our region, it's not the job of the South to enforce such law. If you think that the federal government hasn't done a good enough job of upholding its immigration policies, then run for Congress so that the federal government doesn't need to rely on the regions to uphold its own damn laws.

The meaning is blurrier than a mirror in a sauna, the wording is fuzzier than a teddy bear, and the logic behind the region enforcing laws it didn't even create is more backwards than Leinad's username. I don't care how you feel about undocumented immigration, but no matter what your position is on the issue, you should reject this bill.

I yield the floor.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 07:39:47 PM »

This bill sucks
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »

This will proceed to a final vote. Delegates, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »

AYE
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »

NAY (please read reply #26 on this topic)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »

Based on the statements made by Delegate Koopa, Nay. Perhaps other ideas on the subject can be revisited next Chamber, but she makes a compelling point as we have little control over what federal immigration policy is.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »

Nay.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »

This has enough votes to fail, 24 hours to change votes.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »

aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »

The bill has failed.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »

Those who voted against this are an embarrassment to the South and it's values.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 03:02:50 PM by KoopaDaQuick »

Those who voted against this are an embarrassment to the South and its values.

Regardless of your thoughts on undocumented immigration, this was a poorly written bill that didn't do a good job of executing what it tried to do. It is not the duty of the Southern Region to enforce federal law, that's the job of the federal government. If this was a House or Senate bill, I wouldn't have given that soliloquy.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »

Regardless of your thoughts on undocumented immigration, this was a poorly written bill that didn't do a good job of executing what it tried to do. It is not the duty of the Southern Region to enforce federal law, that's the job of the federal government. If this was a House or Senate bill, I wouldn't have given that soliloquy.

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to protect people who have no right to be here.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to protect people who have no right to be here.

I care about citizens, and I'm a-okay with enforcing the law. However, this particular bill is dumb, but could work if improved a little bit and sent to the proper legislative body.

Answer my questions about the vague wording. Post the bill in the right submission thread. Then I'll stop complaining.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:30:56 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I care about citizens, and I'm a-okay with enforcing the law. However, this particular bill is dumb, but could work if improved a little bit and sent to the proper legislative body.

Answer my questions about the vague wording. Post the bill in the right submission thread. Then I'll stop complaining.

There was nothing improper about the bill being introduced into this legislative body.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:31:30 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

There was nothing improper about the bill being introduced into this legislative body.

It is improper, though. Immigration law in this country is decided by the federal government, not the regional one. Why should a legislative body with no control over immigration policy have any say on how it's enforced?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2020, 05:16:24 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:34:20 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to sit around and complain and pick fights all day.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:31:52 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

It is improper, though. Immigration law in this country is decided by the federal government, not the regional one. Why should a legislative body with no control over immigration policy have any say on how it's enforced?

The regional government has the authority to pass laws that dictate cities in our region cannot declare themselves to be "sanctuary cities", and if they do so, the regional government has the authority to strip said cities of regional funding. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:34:38 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Look, we get it. Rather than care about citizens, you just want to sit around and complain and pick fights all day.

Last I checked, you are not registered in the South. Your opinion here isn't welcome or relevant.  
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:35:25 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Last I checked, you are not registered in the South. Your opinion here isn't welcome or relevant.  

Last I checked, this bill failed days ago. Please stop commentating on the thread of a dead bill and take up this fight somewhere else.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2020, 01:35:48 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The following comments are examples of behavior that is not tolerated in the Southern Chamber:

Those who voted against this are an embarrassment to the South and it's values.

Insulting people is not tolerated in the Southern Chamber. There will be no more personality insults from this point on.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2020, 06:12:01 PM »

This bill will be reintroduced in the next chamber with modifications. I believe the South does have the right to make sure its laws are being enforced.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »

Mr. Speaker, or Lumine/Yankee, can this thread be locked?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies