S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:59:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.3.25: Enforcing Our Laws Act (Failed)  (Read 1037 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
« edited: October 28, 2020, 11:43:05 AM by tmthforu94 »

AN ACT
To support federal officers in enforcing our laws

Section 1: Naming and Definitions.

I. The name of this act shall be: "Enforcing Our Laws"
II. "Sanctuary cities" is defined as a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law.

Section 2: End Sanctuary Cities

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement. Cities that do not follow this rule will be stripped of all regional funding.

Section 3: Religious Protection

I. Southern law enforcement will not carry out immigration arrests on property owned by religious groups.

Section 4: Immigration Statement

I. The southern chamber declares, "The south welcomes all immigrants who come to the south legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".

Sponsor: DTC

Minimum 48 hours for debate. The sponsor is invited to advocate.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:22:37 PM »

Immigrants are a fantastic boon to our region when they go through the legal process. But our laws are important and they will be followed. We cannot incentivize rule breaking. Atlasia gives many social and economic benefits to people in need, as it should. And we cannot sustain our welfare and social program system if we allow people to break our laws and come into the country illegally. They must go through the system like everyone else to create an orderly and productive society.

This bill ensures that federal law enforcement can enforce the laws of our country while protecting religious freedom.  
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »

I think that instead of tightening the punishments, we should make the legal immigration process easier so that those who wish to live in Atlasia, whether for personal pleasure or escape from tyranny, shall be able to do so easier without breaking our laws. Therefore, I just don't think this bill is the best answer to the region's immigration question.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »

I suppose this legislation.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

What happens if cities ignore this law and declare themselves a sanctuary city?
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 03:02:43 PM »

What happens if cities ignore this law and declare themselves a sanctuary city?

Offering an amendment to provide clarification on this:

AN ACT

II. "Sanctuary cities" is defined as a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law.

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement. Cities that do not follow this rule will be stripped of all regional funding.

I. Southern law enforcement will not carry out immigration arrests on property owned by religious groups.

I. The southern chamber declares, "The south welcomes all immigrants who come to the south legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".

I think this is appropriate for cities that do not follow the law.

I think that instead of tightening the punishments, we should make the legal immigration process easier so that those who wish to live in Atlasia, whether for personal pleasure or escape from tyranny, shall be able to do so easier without breaking our laws. Therefore, I just don't think this bill is the best answer to the region's immigration question.

We are not tightening any punishments. We are just enforcing the laws of the land. People are not allowed to break the law just because they feel like it. If you want to make legal immigration easier, I believe that is a matter of federal law. We do not have open borders because it would completely obliterate our current welfare programs that are so important for poor Atlasians.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »

24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »

Amendment is adopted, debate resumes.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »

We are not tightening any punishments. We are just enforcing the laws of the land. People are not allowed to break the law just because they feel like it. If you want to make legal immigration easier, I believe that is a matter of federal law. We do not have open borders because it would completely obliterate our current welfare programs that are so important for poor Atlasians.

Can someone provide me with the current immigration laws? If they're looser in game than they are IRL, then I could maybe support this.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 12:13:30 AM »

Can someone provide me with the current immigration laws? If they're looser in game than they are IRL, then I could maybe support this.

My understanding is that the main immigration law for Atlasia is this passed in 2017:

https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Come_Out_of_the_Shadows_Act
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »

AN ACT

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement. Cities that do not follow this rule will be stripped of all50% of said city's regional funding.

I. The Southern Chamber declares, "The South welcomes all immigrants who come to the South legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".

Proposing an amendment.

Also, what does it mean when municipal laws "tend to protect" something? I don't like the wording of §1.2, it just seems too vague for a bill that decides whether or not a city's regional funding gets stripped.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »

24 hours for objections.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »

It's not like people don't know the consequences of entering illegally...

Why should cities receive any funding at all if they refuse to follow federal laws? Keep in mind, when you have cities that blatantly ignore the law, you open the door for other cities to ignore laws you like. Changing it to 50% funding instead of cut at all just seems like a joke.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 09:22:42 PM »

It's not like people don't know the consequences of entering illegally...

Why should cities receive any funding at all if they refuse to follow federal laws? Keep in mind, when you have cities that blatantly ignore the law, you open the door for other cities to ignore laws you like. Changing it to 50% funding instead of cut at all just seems like a joke.

I agree with this. It's important that are laws are properly followed. We already made it easier to legally immigrate to Atlasia. I object to this amendment.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »

Changing it to 50% funding instead of cut at all just seems like a joke.

Yes, 50% is a joke. I would've gone for 100%, but honestly, that would've rustled some of the Chamber's jimmies, so 50% it is.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »

A vote is starting on the following amendment, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.

AN ACT

I. Cities are not allowed to declare themselves as "Sanctuary Cities". They must comply with federal immigration enforcement. Cities that do not follow this rule will be stripped of all50% of said city's regional funding.

I. The Southern Chamber declares, "The South welcomes all immigrants who come to the South legally. Legal immigrants enrich our culture with their diverse perspectives and backgrounds".
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 08:13:05 AM »

AYE
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »

nay
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »

Aye
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 11:51:02 AM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »

My viewpoint: I think with the supportive federal guideines in place regarding immigration, it should be easy enough for cities to comply. While my view would be different in real life, I haven’t heard a compelling argument yet as to why cities should be able to ignore federal law. This goes beyond just immigration for me - we are a nation of laws and only extreme circumstances should they be allowed to be broken.

Nay on the amendment, as I think the federal policy is pro-immigration and cities should uphold that law.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 09:08:07 PM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »

This amendment has enough votes to fail, delegates have 24 hours to change their votes.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 10:37:24 PM »

I would like to move to a final vote after we are done voting on this amendment.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »

Abstain.
Pages: [1] 2