MI-NYT/Siena: Peters +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  MI-NYT/Siena: Peters +1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: MI-NYT/Siena: Peters +1  (Read 4267 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »

To be fair, Peters has had to quarantine bc he was around people with COVID
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »

Here's an underrated possibility - more and more voters think Biden will win, so they're more comfortable voting for downballot Republicans since they're less likely to enable Trump.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »

Here's an underrated possibility - more and more voters think Biden will win, so they're more comfortable voting for downballot Republicans since they're less likely to enable Trump.

I don’t think this is the case at all. Literally talk to anyone who doesn’t follow politics closely and nearly everyone, no matter their ideology, is convinced Trump will win again.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2020, 02:45:00 PM »

Or it's a sh**t poll. Hmm.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »

I’d be more concerned if it was Peters 49-48. James at 42% isn’t really that good for him, considering the undecideds skew democratic.

Yes. Still, I hope he recovers soon enough that the dscc doesn't actually start spending serious money there to protect him
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2020, 02:49:16 PM »

[citation needed]

Either way, I don't doubt that there are some Biden/Republican downballot voters, though I don't think they'll make up a significant portion of the electorate, and in most competitive races won't significantly outnumber Trump/Democrat downballot voters (and in some races, there could be more of these voters.)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »

[citation needed]

Either way, I don't doubt that there are some Biden/Republican downballot voters, though I don't think they'll make up a significant portion of the electorate, and in most competitive races won't significantly outnumber Trump/Democrat downballot voters (and in some races, there could be more of these voters.)

Can't really enable Trump if he's not in office.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »

I don’t think this is the case at all. Literally talk to anyone who doesn’t follow politics closely and nearly everyone, no matter their ideology, is convinced Trump will win again.

A solid 30% of Atlas Democrats think Trump is destined to overperform his polling by 8-9 points no matter what.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »

Or it's a sh**t poll. Hmm.

It definitely oversampled Republicans. Trump's approval is only -5 and take 18-29 year olds for example, Biden only winning by 10 - and Peters even less.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

Strong disagree. Anecdotally, most people I talk to are convinced Trump will win, the less politically educated the more so.

Polling shows this too
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »

Strong disagree. Anecdotally, most people I talk to are convinced Trump will win, the less politically educated the more so.

Polling shows this too

Yeah I've found the same thing. There's nowhere near the complacency that I saw and felt in 2016 about the race. Lots of people don't believe the polls and are motivated to vote because of it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »

does Siena have a house effect?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »

This many undecideds is bonkers. Everyone chill tf out
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2020, 05:21:38 PM »

Back to Lean D you go
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »

Ernst and Peters are not taking their re-election campaigns seriously. One thinks she is running in Nebraska and the other think he is running in Illinois.

One or both of them losing on November 3rd would not be a shocker.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2020, 05:44:11 PM »

I think that Gary Peters will be Bill Nelson 2.0.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2020, 05:52:13 PM »

There is truth to the "invisible man" critique of Peters -- he isn't much of a known quantity in Michigan.

James has a lot of money and runs decent ads. James is more charismatic than Peters, and much more telegenic than Peters.

Michigan is politically divided and, looking at various races the last several decades, not particularly devoted to the Democratic party.

That being said, I don't see how James overcomes the national environment. If this was 2016, I believe he would win.

If Trump pulls it together and turns the presidential race into a 4 point race or so, then I will be looking very closely at this race.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »

This poll is going to be excellent for Peters' fundraising. Twitter is going nuts the past few hours rallying people to donate to his campaign.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2020, 06:07:26 PM »

You know, there's a lot of talk about what could happen between now and election day, and I'd just like to point out that we're three weeks out atm. Realistically, one or both candidates could do an ad blitz, but that will help basically only with name recognition. I doubt there's much more time for the overall political environment to shift all that much.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »

This poll is going to be excellent for Peters' fundraising. Twitter is going nuts the past few hours rallying people to donate to his campaign.

Admittedly I don't know what the hard numbers look like, but I do not believe Peters (unlike other potentially endangered incumbents *cough cough* Lindsey Graham) has a problem with money.

TV and radio are pretty well saturated with James and Peters ads and have been for some time.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »

Did James get a kidnapping plot bump!?

But seriously though:

This many undecideds is bonkers. Everyone chill tf out

Furthermore:

James will still lose. Peters' win may end up being unimpressive, but I don't see how he loses to a retread candidate while actually taking his race serious in a favorable environment with likely higher turnout. If Stabenow won against him while essentially taking her race for granted, Peters should be fine. Don't put so much emphasis on that Siena poll with so many undecideds.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »

I am not saying Peter's will lose but Pelosi holding out on the Stimulus may hurt Rust belt D's like Peters.  Pelosi all or nothing bill doesn't help anybody but the Unions she protect, and in Cali, we know she is a Union boss
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2020, 06:42:08 PM »

I guess Michigan is full of PQG split-voters?

Huh.   Who knew?
Would you vote for James if you lived in MI?

Probably, yes -- I've never voted for a Democratic Senate candidate.  My ideal scenario is a Biden presidency with a GOP Senate.  

GOP Senate and Biden presidency is an under-rated best case scenario for Republicans. It stops any Biden legislation, especially more extreme policies like attempting to expanding the size of the Supreme Court (I believe this fails regardless) or adding states (I believe this could happen). It would also force deals on filling lower court vacancies or a Supreme Court opening and keep the judiciary conservative.

Also, it rids the party of an increasingly toxic Trump and sets the GOP up for a good 2022 midterm.

The path to a GOP Senate and Biden presidency is very narrow, but it's possible and an interesting result. However, I think it's just as probable that the dam breaks and several GOP incumbents go down and give the Dems a large Senate majority.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »

The presidential poll has Biden +8 and this has Peters +1 with a crap ton of undecideds. I'm thinking this might be trash...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies