Will 2016 be seen as a fluke if Trump decisively loses to Biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:54:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Will 2016 be seen as a fluke if Trump decisively loses to Biden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will 2016 be seen as a fluke if Trump decisively loses to Biden?  (Read 542 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »

If Donald Trump goes down in a landslide to Joe Biden next month, which seems likely at this point, will the 2016 presidential election be seen a fluke? By landslide I mean Biden wins by six points or more and exceeds Obama's 2012 number of electoral votes (332). Since I doubt pundits will only attribute to Trump's defeat a result of his disastrous handling of the pandemic, they may point out that Trump never throughout his term had a positive approval rating on average.

I think the election of 2016 may be very well seen as a fluke, in which unique factors all combined resulted into a bare 77,000 votes victory: An unpopular opponent who had tons of baggage (some earned, mostly blown up), Russian interference and the Comey letter. Trump's election wasn't even a true mandate, since he lost the popular vote by nearly three million. It should also be noted that Trump received less votes percentage-wise than Mitt Romney (46.1% versus 47.2%) and barely more than John McCain (45.7%) or Michael Dukakis (45.9%).

Before the 2020 election, pundits and journalists have been cautious due to 2016, by a decisive Biden victory would wash this away pretty quickly. I have a feeling we'll be reading some examinations next month how anyone could have ever thought Trump had a real shot at reelection and that his likely loss was already foreseeable ever since 2017, when America realized it had made a terrible mistake by electing this man.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »

Not a fluke, really. More like a stunning and scathing indictment of the American people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 03:34:33 PM »

If Republicans win 2024, then 2020 will be seen as the fluke.
Turbo Flame

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »

Yes. In fact despite my little following of politics back then, I knew Donald Trump was winning that Election because I didn't hear good things about Hillary Clinton back in 2012. Plus, I didn't think people were ready for a female President. That's why I knew Donald Trump was taking that one home.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies