If DC gains statehood, should it have a bicameral legislature? How many seats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:09:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If DC gains statehood, should it have a bicameral legislature? How many seats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If DC gains statehood, should it have a bicameral legislature? How many seats?  (Read 1640 times)
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« on: October 10, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »

I think there's a proposed state constitution already drafted and the proposal is for a 21-member unicameral legislature. I don't know much more than that. Personally, I think considering the fact that it would effectively be a city-state, I'd prefer it adopt more of a parliamentary system.

EDIT: I found the apparent draft constitution.

It would create a unicameral Legislative Assembly with 21 members. The Speaker would be elected by the entire state. Four additional members would be elected by the entire state. The remaining 16 members would be elected in 8 districts, with each district electing 2 members. They would be elected for 4-year terms. Unlike Nebraska, they would be elected in partisan elections.

Doesn't seem like there's much point in having partisan elections. It would be more of a one-party state than South Carolina in the 1930s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies