Pro-choice or Pro-life?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:24:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Pro-choice or Pro-life?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Perhaps the most important issue facing the courts.
Pro-choice in all cases

Pro-choice though pro-life at a certain point before infancy

Pro-life with exceptions to rape, incest and danger to the mother

Pro-life in all cases

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 144

Author Topic: Pro-choice or Pro-life?  (Read 6593 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »

#3 for me.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 07:37:18 PM »

Pro-life with regards to abortion in theory.
However, until we have universal access to birth control, comprehensive sex-Ed, and ample resources for new parents especially single ones) then I won’t take a strong stance.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:24:38 PM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

It's extremely unlikely that a woman is going to have an elective abortion if she's eight months pregnant - and putting in health requirements are often too vague and can place unnecessary restrictions to allow states to restrict it for no good reason.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

It's extremely unlikely that a woman is going to have an elective abortion if she's eight months pregnant - and putting in health requirements are often too vague and can place unnecessary restrictions to allow states to restrict it for no good reason.

Some people murder their children who are already born, so why do people act like no one would murder a third trimester unborn baby?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 07:26:22 AM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

Some people murder their children who are already born, so why do people act like no one would murder a third trimester unborn baby?

Because nobody has a child for the express purpose of murdering them. That evil act is rationalized later. This is sort of a disingenuous comparison.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

Because nobody has a child for the express purpose of murdering them. That evil act is rationalized later. This is sort of a disingenuous comparison.

What if someone wanted a child and then changes their mind?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 06:10:31 PM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

That is a ridiculous question. Medical ethics dictate the available courses of action.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

That is a ridiculous question. Medical ethics dictate the available courses of action.

That's not an answer.  There are monstrous people out there, some of whom are pregnant women and some of whom are doctors.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 11:56:03 PM »

Option 2. Anyone who voted 4 is disgusting.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »

Number 3.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

At what point, then, is it murder? The instant the baby’s born? A month before that? Two? Maybe a few weeks after birth?

I’m not trying to sound disingenuous. I’m just saying, you should really think carefully about this before jumping in all the way.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »

I generally have considered myself to be pro-life excluding the big three exceptions for about 13 years now.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 02:22:25 AM »

Pro-choice in all cases.

At what point, then, is it murder? The instant the baby’s born? A month before that? Two? Maybe a few weeks after birth?

I’m not trying to sound disingenuous. I’m just saying, you should really think carefully about this before jumping in all the way.

The baby develops personhood the second he/she is born.

So anything after that would be murder.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »

Should be legal up to 24 weeks. After 24 weeks, only legal if medically necessary.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »

There’s an alternative to abortion. Adoption is that alternative. Also, the perspective father should have a choice in the matter and most would choose life instead of murder.

Option 2. Anyone who voted 4 is disgusting.

I don’t understand why you think anyone who is pro-life with no exceptions is disgusting. Whatever happened to having a discussion in a respectful tone towards those who disagree with you.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »

Option 3 is the closest to my position on the issue.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »

There’s an alternative to abortion. Adoption is that alternative. Also, the perspective father should have a choice in the matter and most would choose life instead of murder.

Men should not control women's bodies. They're not the ones getting pregnant.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »

In most circumstances, it would be bad for a woman in a stable relationship to hide their pregnancy or abortion from their partner, and I believe the father has a right to know and express their opinion, but the final decision can only be the mother's, and if her decisions are upsetting to her partner, that is a marital issue for them to resolve and not for the state.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »

In most circumstances, it would be bad for a woman in a stable relationship to hide their pregnancy or abortion from their partner, and I believe the father has a right to know and express their opinion, but the final decision can only be the mother's, and if her decisions are upsetting to her partner, that is a marital issue for them to resolve and not for the state.

I think ideally from a relationship perspective, that the father should be part of the discussion but legally speaking, the woman should have 100% say.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 11:49:43 PM »

I still have a hard time believing that anyone genuinely cares about this issue. It's the definition of virtue signaling.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 12:34:59 AM »

I still have a hard time believing that anyone genuinely cares about this issue. It's the definition of virtue signaling.

You generally make good arguments, but this is a really dumb statement.

You can't imagine why a woman would care about having control over her own body?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 01:25:54 AM »

You can't imagine why a woman would care about having control over her own body?

I'm referring to the pro-lifers. Their position on this issue was the original performative wokeness.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 01:49:28 AM »

I have a hard time understanding why the pro-choice side cares about it so much.  If I wasn't convinced that life begins at conception, I would remain neutral because the consequences of being wrong on this issue are so severe.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 02:00:29 AM »

I'm referring to the pro-lifers. Their position on this issue was the original performative wokeness.

Ah my mistake. Apologies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies