COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:26:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 367 368 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 557940 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9050 on: January 10, 2022, 10:02:03 PM »

It is ridiculous we are being asked to take these vaccines every six months or so when once a year should suffice:

Pfizer: Vaccine targeting Omicron will be ready in March

Again, the pharmaceutical companies have not had completely moral motives throughout this pandemic. The coronavirus vaccine has been a major financial windfall for them, and it is to their benefit to encourage people to get vaccinated as frequently as possible.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9051 on: January 10, 2022, 10:04:35 PM »

Delaware does not need a mask mandate given hospitalization capacity now. I made a map of places I would actually give a mask mandate. Surprisingly, even cities such as New York I wouldn’t. Some places that could use one are Louisville, Columbus, and Omaha to give examples. This is based on ICU capacity data.

Either that, or the unvaccinated and then registered Republicans should be denied treatment first in the case of triage.
If you find that wrong, shut the f**k up and put on your mask so you don’t need to think about it. Besides, you probably look better with it anyways.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9052 on: January 10, 2022, 10:05:10 PM »

It is ridiculous we are being asked to take these vaccines every six months or so when once a year should suffice:

Again, the pharmaceutical companies have not had completely moral motives throughout this pandemic. The coronavirus vaccine has been a major financial windfall for them, and it is to their benefit to encourage people to get vaccinated as frequently as possible.
Got it, Pfizer invented a new variant to push a booster. Yeah they have a financial incentive…but the reasoning is legitimate this time.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9053 on: January 10, 2022, 10:07:49 PM »

Got it, Pfizer invented a new variant to push a booster.

I didn't say that. I'm saying that the pharmaceutical companies don't have completely moral motives. To think otherwise would be an error. And I've said repeatedly that the vaccine is a life-saving elixir. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted, and I continue to agonize over how my late father refused to get the vaccine that probably would have saved his life. But I don't agree with the strategies these companies have pursued. A pharmaceutical company that was driven by a predominantly moral perspective would be seeking to ramp up production of vaccines for those in developing countries. People throughout Africa, Asia, and Latin America would crawl over broken glass to get vaccinated.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9054 on: January 10, 2022, 10:09:16 PM »

Fourth times the charm!  And if you’re not comfortable taking 4 shots in a year, for a vaccine that doesnt even stop transmission, thats fine.  You won’t be forced to take it - you’ll just not be able to make a living, workout, or eat in a restaurant/bar.  And if all goes well, you’ll be able to wear a mask everywhere you go and show your vax card until vaccine #5 is approved.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9055 on: January 10, 2022, 10:18:31 PM »

How long has this thread had Star War references as it’s titles?

Since 1977

It turns out that you're right, given the timestamp on this post:

Due to the popularity of that "Star Wars" movie, I've decided to call this new thread "COVID-19 Wars".  To be honest, I'm not sure why we're interested in the so-called "COVID-19" here in the year 1977, but people asked for this thread, so here it is.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #9056 on: January 10, 2022, 11:21:59 PM »

I’ll take vaccines recommended by the CDC/FDA and my doctor, but I have a hard time believing that this one will be.

People who took the original vaccine series (and are boosted if applicable) continue to be well-protected against severe outcomes of COVID, including omicron. I haven’t seen anything that suggests otherwise.
compucomp

« Reply #9057 on: January 10, 2022, 11:23:00 PM »

I agree with you on this. I've had 3 shots but I'm not unquestioningly trusting announcements by pharmaceutical companies that have an obvious effect on their earnings and thus their stock price. Omicron was barely announced and we were already hearing from Moderna and Pfizer that 2 shots were not enough but 3 shots would be good. Quickly thereafter we heard that the only vaccines that do anything against Omicron are Moderna and Pfizer. Now 3 shots are not good enough but 4 will be good, or you can buy an upgrade and get their new vaccine designed for Omicron. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt. Any experimental results from them should be publicly released for full transparency and vetted by independent scientists or government agencies.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9058 on: January 10, 2022, 11:58:30 PM »

I’ll take vaccines recommended by the CDC/FDA and my doctor, but I have a hard time believing that this one will be.

People who took the original vaccine series (and are boosted if applicable) continue to be well-protected against severe outcomes of COVID, including omicron. I haven’t seen anything that suggests otherwise.

I'll add that, from what I recall, they actually cautioned against having variant-specific vaccines, because there could then be another mutation that renders that one completely ineffective.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9059 on: January 11, 2022, 01:16:29 AM »

Sonoma County has banned "large gatherings" (defined as anything >50 people) and has issued what they call a "voluntary stay at home order," recommending residents to shelter in place and avoid contact with others for at least the next 30 days. But "there are no government policies restricting any behavior."
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9060 on: January 11, 2022, 03:37:27 AM »

The vaccines were only just invented and it's understandable that they aren't perfect. The scientific progress has been amazing and if this had happened any earlier, the world would have had to get through the pandemic without vaccines for at least several years. As time goes on, the protection we have is going to keep on increasing, even if more variants are some more bumps in the road.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9061 on: January 11, 2022, 06:46:58 AM »

I agree with you on this. I've had 3 shots but I'm not unquestioningly trusting announcements by pharmaceutical companies that have an obvious effect on their earnings and thus their stock price. Omicron was barely announced and we were already hearing from Moderna and Pfizer that 2 shots were not enough but 3 shots would be good. Quickly thereafter we heard that the only vaccines that do anything against Omicron are Moderna and Pfizer. Now 3 shots are not good enough but 4 will be good, or you can buy an upgrade and get their new vaccine designed for Omicron. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt. Any experimental results from them should be publicly released for full transparency and vetted by independent scientists or government agencies.

Yes, but masks are like 100 times less effective than 3rd and 4th doses, but you still think everyone has to wear them all the time Devil
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9062 on: January 11, 2022, 08:42:34 AM »

The vaccines were only just invented and it's understandable that they aren't perfect. The scientific progress has been amazing and if this had happened any earlier, the world would have had to get through the pandemic without vaccines for at least several years. As time goes on, the protection we have is going to keep on increasing, even if more variants are some more bumps in the road.

Yes, but you cannot seriously believe that the pharmaceutical companies haven't been driven by at least some kind of profit motive throughout all of this.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9063 on: January 11, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »

If you don't want a booster (3rd, 4th, 10th, whatever) then don't take it.

A lot of people keep saying they're going to be required, but that hasn't happened. They're good for people who want them.
compucomp

« Reply #9064 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:33 AM »

Sonoma County has banned "large gatherings" (defined as anything >50 people) and has issued what they call a "voluntary stay at home order," recommending residents to shelter in place and avoid contact with others for at least the next 30 days. But "there are no government policies restricting any behavior."

I didn't exactly say that the lack of government action was a positive thing, and I said what I said out of cynicism towards the moral bankruptcy of this country on COVID. I suppose I spend too much time on this forum, and thus it's easy to come to the conclusion that everyone thinks like the anti-restriction mob here. I'm very glad to see there are at least some virtuous people in this country, enough to pressure a local government to institute a common-sense low effort NPI to try to slow down the spread, when Omicron has clearly proven to be much more severe than the common cold and hospitalizations in the US are now at a record high.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9065 on: January 11, 2022, 09:13:04 AM »

I didn't exactly say that the lack of government action was a positive thing, and I said what I said out of cynicism towards the moral bankruptcy of this country on COVID. I suppose I spend too much time on this forum, and thus it's easy to come to the conclusion that everyone thinks like the anti-restriction mob here. I'm very glad to see there are at least some virtuous people in this country, enough to pressure a local government to institute a common-sense low effort NPI to try to slow down the spread, when Omicron has clearly proven to be much more severe than the common cold and hospitalizations in the US are now at a record high.

Are you saying that we should return to the lockdowns of March 2020?
compucomp

« Reply #9066 on: January 11, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »

If money grew on trees, absolutely. In the real world, we can't afford to subsidize all the businesses that would be shut down and support the unemployment caused so something like the Sonoma county policy is probably the most that can be done, and even that may be too much and result in the county (and thus the taxpayers of the county) paying to support businesses.

Honestly maybe the most practical NPI is to give $50-100 billion to the CDC and NIH, have them blanket the airwaves nationwide with a PSA campaign informing people of the dangers of COVID and discouraging gathering in large groups etc, and let market forces take care of the rest.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #9067 on: January 11, 2022, 09:34:39 AM »

I love how this single issue is going to help Republicans win in a landslide.  Don't believe me?  Just ask Governor McAuliffe.  And that election was before all this Omicron madness.  
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #9068 on: January 11, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »

If money grew on trees, absolutely. In the real world, we can't afford to subsidize all the businesses that would be shut down and support the unemployment caused so something like the Sonoma county policy is probably the most that can be done, and even that may be too much and result in the county (and thus the taxpayers of the county) paying to support businesses.

Honestly maybe the most practical NPI is to give $50-100 billion to the CDC and NIH, have them blanket the airwaves nationwide with a PSA campaign informing people of the dangers of COVID and discouraging gathering in large groups etc, and let market forces take care of the rest.

What member of the public do you think

a) is not aware of COVID’s existence
b) would be swayed by a radio ad fearmongering about probably the most known disease on the planet?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9069 on: January 11, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »

b) would be swayed by a radio ad fearmongering about probably the most known disease on the planet?

This. Everyone in this country is aware of the virus at this point, given how extensively it has been covered in the media, the effect to which it (and the associated restrictions) has affected our lives, and the very real consequences of it, that are felt by people on a daily basis, whether through an outbreak at their job, or because their child had to learn virtually. And as I've said before, everyone who wanted to get vaccinated has done so at this point. There's an unshakable core of people in this country who are not going to get the vaccine under any circumstances, short of being strapped down to a chair and forcibly injected (which would be unlawful).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9070 on: January 11, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »

If you don't want a booster (3rd, 4th, 10th, whatever) then don't take it.

A lot of people keep saying they're going to be required, but that hasn't happened. They're good for people who want them.

Some colleges require them now.
compucomp

« Reply #9071 on: January 11, 2022, 10:46:11 AM »

There are many aspects of COVID that are not well known:

1. That "mild" symptoms are anything short of SpO2 < 94%/hospitalization and are not what would be considered mild by the general population
2. That many people suffer long term effects from COVID even if they weren't hospitalized, and that the vaccine does not prevent this fully
3. That if you're hospitalized, even if you survive, there's a good chance you'll suffer long term effects
4. That there is no safe way to dine indoors
5. That there is no safe way to gather in large unmasked groups
6. That 6 feet was just a guideline and airborne transmission is actually more like how cigarette smoke would propagate

This was off the top of my head. Give the CDC/NIH a day and I'm sure they will come up with more. Give them what are effectively unlimited funds (for comparison, total spending on the 2020 campaign was $14.4 billion) to make every ad on every TV and radio station a PSA about COVID, maybe even buy out entire programs and turn them into long COVID documentaries, and I believe they can sway 20-30% of the population to take COVID seriously, on top of the say 30% that are already taking it seriously. There will be something like 40% that will not be swayed, like this forum, but at that point the market forces will have to favor the 60%.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9072 on: January 11, 2022, 10:49:50 AM »

On the Maryland side.. all the big counties have mask mandates

On the Virginia.. none do.

lol
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #9073 on: January 11, 2022, 11:01:30 AM »

1. That "mild" symptoms are anything short of SpO2 < 94%/hospitalization and are not what would be considered mild by the general population
2. That many people suffer long term effects from COVID even if they weren't hospitalized, and that the vaccine does not prevent this fully
3. That if you're hospitalized, even if you survive, there's a good chance you'll suffer long term effects
6. That 6 feet was just a guideline and airborne transmission is actually more like how cigarette smoke would propagate

This was off the top of my head. Give the CDC/NIH a day and I'm sure they will come up with more. Give them what are effectively unlimited funds (for comparison, total spending on the 2020 campaign was $14.4 billion) to make every ad on every TV and radio station a PSA about COVID, maybe even buy out entire programs and turn them into long COVID documentaries, and I believe they can sway 20-30% of the population to take COVID seriously, on top of the say 30% that are already taking it seriously. There will be something like 40% that will not be swayed, like this forum, but at that point the market forces will have to favor the 60%.

This is nonsense.  It's been two years, the risks of COVID are well known by this point.  I am "fully vaccinated" for now, two jabs, and I tested positive this week.  The risks of hospitalization and death are very low if you are younger than 65, vaccinated, and not immunocompromised.  It is literally just a flu like illness.  If you are scared of getting sick, stay home, but you folks really need to stop trying to dictate how other people should live their lives.  It's getting tiresome.
compucomp

« Reply #9074 on: January 11, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »

This is nonsense.  It's been two years, the risks of COVID are well known by this point.  I am "fully vaccinated" for now, two jabs, and I tested positive this week.  The risks of hospitalization and death are very low if you are younger than 65, vaccinated, and not immunocompromised.  It is literally just a flu like illness.  If you are scared of getting sick, stay home, but you folks really need to stop trying to dictate how other people should live their lives.  It's getting tiresome.

These are all facts. You might not care about them, but if you weren't afraid of the truth, why are you so intent on suppressing knowledge of it? I'm not proposing to force anyone to do anything here, I'm proposing to let the full truth be known to everyone and then let market forces take care of it. You're just afraid that a solid majority will agree with me, alter their behavior to protect themselves, and then the free market will react and we'll resemble something like March 2020, without any government mandate or restriction.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 367 368 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies