COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 289 290 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 526278 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7100 on: September 30, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »

When do we get our weekly update?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7101 on: September 30, 2021, 08:36:18 AM »

Two hosts of 'The View' test positive for Covid ahead of interview with Harris

"The View" host Sunny Hostin and guest host Ana Navarro both tested positive for breakthrough cases of Covid-19 ahead of an interview with Vice President Kamala Harris.

Harris did not interact with Hostin or Navarro before the show, according to a White House official. Harris went on to conduct the interview from a remote location after a delay.

The positive results were announced by "The View" host Joy Behar during the show after Hostin and Navarro were asked to leave the set. Hostin and Navarro were seated at the table with the other hosts at the beginning of the program.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/24/politics/kamala-harris-the-view/index.html

They had to leave in the middle of the show and the other co hosts had to kill time while they reconfigured the interview with Harris to be remote.

Breakthrough cases are becoming more and more common, it seems.

Expanding upon this, it turns out that these hosts' diagnoses were false positives.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7102 on: September 30, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »

Santa Cruz County, Calif., just repealed its mask order.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7103 on: September 30, 2021, 01:24:57 PM »

It's anecdotal, but my brother volunteered for a COVID-19 clinic yesterday, and a woman who got the inoculation gave everyone (my brother included) there a hard time because she had to either get inoculated or lose her job. She took it out on everyone from the schedulers to the person injecting her to him,,, and he related her hostility to him and the others said basically "We know".

Marketing and propaganda work best when they cause someone to think that they really made their own decision, and that such decision is reasonable and unobjectionable. Considering that someone might be convinced that some marking device comes with the inoculation so that one can be tracked wherever one goes (the GPS on your car if you use that, your use of a credit or EBT card, or your use of a cell phone can do that too), this might be understandable, however wrong. Some take the warning from Revelation against the Mark of the Beast seriously. Supposedly, acceptance of the Mark of the Beast (a tattoo? a Party badge? Salutes reminiscent of Sieg Heil! or a greeting such as AKIA (A Klansman I Am?) is 100% voluntary, but obviously advantageous under such a hideous regime. Such a regime will work people to exhaustion on starvation rations as a threat, and will make sure that you have empty entertainments as relaxation if not official pageantry glorifying the regime.

We still need to shore such a civic society as we have, improve our character, and create economic alternatives other than reliance upon the government for the goodies in life. Such will require a mass commitment to social equity and the rule of law -- both of which our 45th President mocked.  

Should we ever have Big Bad Big Government, then we are doomed to a particularly nasty tyranny made all the worse by the technology and the potential of ruthless managers of pleasure and pain making the pain and anguish far more excruciating. We would have disparities between indulgence and deprivation that would have shocked Nicholas II of Russia. Even culture and spirituality would be suspect. At this point our first priority must be preservation of our civil liberties, and one of those is safety from a lethal, highly-transmissible respiratory infection that we can all prevent.  We need a government strong enough to do the necessary, but tame enough to not do evil.  

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7104 on: September 30, 2021, 05:15:51 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2021, 09:01:09 PM by Meclazine »

I just don't see how we will ever have another bad surge.

Delta basically infected most people who were unvaccinated.

90% of americans have either natural or vaccine antibodies.

I just don't see the math working out for another surge.

maybe a surge of breakthrough, mild cases.

There, perhaps, will be a mini-waves during fall/winter, but by spring it's likely over. Covid will become another [though, perhaps, more somewhat more dangerous] seasonal flu/cold. BIG Pharma works as well on antiviral drugs to treat [breakthrough] Covid.

Financial Times - Antiviral pill: How close are we to a drug to treat Covid?
Scientists seek breakthrough in effort to ease virus symptoms and speed up recovery times

Come December 2021, during the grips of severe cold weather, my prediction is that the northern hemisphere will get another surge.

Nasal cavities shrink, virus survives longer in lower temperatures, more people indoors. Large family functions. Lots of sniffling and runny noses.

It will essentially be the same as Christmas last year minus the vaccinated people and people smart enough to wear masks and wash their hands. Are the pathways for COVID still available through transit/retail workers?

And the other good news is that the mortality rate on this surge appears to be lower.

Thailand, Vietnam, The Phillippines and Malaysia finally got their big surge.

Very interested to see how Sweden goes with it's alternative play this winter. Norway has a mortality rate of 0.5% whilst Sweden have around 1.3%.

It would be interesting to study if the Swede's have higher levels of natural immunity and if that provides more benefit when compared with vaccine immunity.

Does natural immunity last longer? Is it stronger?

Might be difficult to measure as an effective research project.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7105 on: September 30, 2021, 05:54:28 PM »

There, perhaps, will be a mini-waves during fall/winter, but by spring it's likely over. Covid will become another [though, perhaps, more somewhat more dangerous] seasonal flu/cold. BIG Pharma works as well on antiviral drugs to treat [breakthrough] Covid.

Scientists seek breakthrough in effort to ease virus symptoms and speed up recovery times

Come December 2021, during the grips of severe cold weather, my prediction is that the northern hemisphere will get another surge.

Nasal cavities shrink, virus survives longer in lower temperatures, more people indoors. Large family functions. Lots of sniffling and runny noses.

It will essentially be the same as Christmas last year minus the vaccinated people and people smart enough to wear masks and wash their hands. Are the pathways for COVID still available through transit/retail workers?

And the other good news is that the mortality rate on this surge appears to be lower.

Very interested to see how Sweden goes with it's alternative play this winter. Norway has a mortality rate of 0.5% whilst Sweden have around 1.3%.

It would be interesting to study if the Swede's have higher levels of natural immunity and if that provides more benefit as compared vaccine immunity.

Maybe mortality rate being lower is because of the vaccine? That is what I would believe.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7106 on: September 30, 2021, 05:55:07 PM »

It would be interesting to study if the Swede's have higher levels of natural immunity and if that provides more benefit as compared vaccine immunity.

Maybe mortality rate being lower is because of the vaccine? That is what I would believe.

That was my first thought too.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #7107 on: September 30, 2021, 06:29:38 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2021, 08:42:12 PM by YOU JUST POSTED MALARKEY! »

Well, anyway I've just re-done the table above using proper numbers up to rank #12.
This is the actual current death rate (SEP 17, 2021) per 100K by state:

1. 311 - Mississippi
2. 292 - New Jersey
3. 287 - Louisiana
4. 271 - New York state (adding NYC + rest of NYS together and dividing by 202.01249)
4. 271 - Arizona
6. 262 - Massachusetts
7. 260 - Alabama
8. 256 - Rhode Island
9. 246 - Arkansas
10. 236 - Florida
10. 236 - South Dakota
12. 234 - Connecticut

UPDATE! SEPTEMBER 30 WITH 2020 CENSUS DATA!

1. (+13) 324 - Mississippi
2. (+11) 298 - Louisiana
3. (+3) 295 - New Jersey
4. (+25) 285 - Alabama
5. (+8) 279 - Arizona
6. (+2) 273 - New York state
7. (+3) 265 - Massachusetts
8. (+2) 258 - Rhode Island
9. (+19) 255 - Florida
9. (+9) 255 - Arkansas

11. 244 - South Carolina
12. 242 - Georgia
12. 241 - South Dakota
14. 239 - Connecticut
15. 230 - Indiana
16. 229 - Nevada
17. 227 - Oklahoma
18. 226 - New Mexico
18. 226 - Pennsylvania
20. 222 - Michigan

21. 218 - Tennessee
21. 218 - Texas
23. 216 - Illinois
24. 207 - North Dakota
25. 206 - Kansas
25. 206 - Iowa
27. 203 - West Virginia
28. 197 - Delaware
29. 193 - Kentucky
30. 187 - Missouri
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7108 on: September 30, 2021, 09:11:53 PM »

That is precisely what I would expect. People will not get un-inoculated.

The pressure will be on to get vaccinated. Incarcerations will be excellent opportunities for inoculating people not yet inoculated. People busted for minor offenses such as shop[lifting will have their sentences reduced in return for inoculation. Should we have a nasty cold wave, such a city like Chicago will round up the homeless as usual for trumped up charges such as profanity that the cops provoke... and the homeless person usually goes to a shelter. Not inoculated? You go to a courthouse, and charges are dropped if you take the needle. The public defender and the prosecutor will drop a charge in return for getting inoculated.

This time one might be connected to food aid and a cell phone... and those make tracking people for their second inoculation much easier to find. So if you use your Illinois food-aid card at a particular store all the time, typically on a Wednesday around 2PM, then guess who might find you some Wednesday at 2PM five or six weeks later.  Someone with a second dose? 
I have seen that every year on WGN News when WGN was available on cable.   
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7109 on: October 01, 2021, 08:29:20 AM »

It's anecdotal, but my brother volunteered for a COVID-19 clinic yesterday, and a woman who got the inoculation gave everyone (my brother included) there a hard time because she had to either get inoculated or lose her job. She took it out on everyone from the schedulers to the person injecting her to him,,, and he related her hostility to him and the others said basically "We know".

They should have told her to leave, they don't have to put up with that crap. Tell her mam you're free to leave and if you don't pipe down go somewhere else.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7110 on: October 01, 2021, 10:47:52 AM »

Most (95%?) deaths happened pre-vaccine and they have similar vaccination rate (67% Norway vs 63% Sweden).

Explanation IMO is this. Covid is age related. Sweden had no lock-downs whatsoever and consequently a lot of elder people died in elder homes etc in the beginning of pandemic = higher mortality rate.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7111 on: October 01, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »

News from today

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N2QW3FP
Merck's COVID-19 pill cuts risk of death, hospitalization by 50% in study
Oct 1 (Reuters) - Merck & Co Inc’s experimental oral drug for COVID-19, molnupiravir, reduced by around 50% the chance of hospitalization or death for patients at risk of severe disease, according to interim clinical trial results announced on Friday.

Merck and partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics plan to seek U.S. emergency use authorization for the pill as soon as possible, and to submit applications to regulatory agencies worldwide. Due to the positive results, the Phase 3 trial is being stopped early at the recommendation of outside monitors.

“This is going to change the dialogue around how to manage COVID-19,” Robert Davis, Merck’s chief executive officer, told Reuters.

If authorized, molnupiravir, which is designed to introduce errors into the genetic code of the virus, would be the first oral antiviral medication for COVID-19.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7112 on: October 01, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »

Justice Brett Kavanaugh tests positive for Covid-19

Justice Brett Kavanaugh has tested positive for Covid-19, the Supreme Court said Friday, the first publicly known case of coronavirus among the high court's justices.

Kavanaugh, who is fully vaccinated, tested positive on Thursday night, the court said in a statement. The justice's immediate family tested negative and he has no symptoms.

Kavanaugh underwent a routine Covid test Thursday ahead of fellow Justice Amy Coney Barrett's investiture ceremony Friday, which he will no longer be attending out of precaution, the court said.

His positive diagnosis for coronavirus may mean he won't be on the bench Monday, the start of the new term and what would be the first in-person session with all nine justices.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/politics/brett-kavanaugh-covid-19/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7113 on: October 01, 2021, 04:48:01 PM »

Justice Sotomayor rejects request to block New York City school vaccine mandate

Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Friday denied a request from a group of New York City teachers to block the city's vaccine mandate for public school employees.

Sotomayor did not refer the request to the other Supreme Court justices, or comment on her action, likely signaling they agreed with her decision. In August, Justice Amy Coney Barrett likewise rejected an effort to block Indiana University's vaccine mandate.

In court papers, lawyers for the teachers argued that New York City, as well as the Department of Education and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, have placed an "unconstitutional burden" on public school teachers. They wanted the high court to block the mandate while the appeals process played out.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/politics/new-york-vaccine-school-sotomayor/index.html
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7114 on: October 01, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »

Justice Brett Kavanaugh tests positive for Covid-19

Justice Brett Kavanaugh has tested positive for Covid-19, the Supreme Court said Friday, the first publicly known case of coronavirus among the high court's justices.

Kavanaugh, who is fully vaccinated, tested positive on Thursday night, the court said in a statement. The justice's immediate family tested negative and he has no symptoms.

Kavanaugh underwent a routine Covid test Thursday ahead of fellow Justice Amy Coney Barrett's investiture ceremony Friday, which he will no longer be attending out of precaution, the court said.

His positive diagnosis for coronavirus may mean he won't be on the bench Monday, the start of the new term and what would be the first in-person session with all nine justices.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/politics/brett-kavanaugh-covid-19/index.html

Ginsburg is still not through with her retribution from beyond the grave, it seems.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7115 on: October 01, 2021, 09:26:09 PM »

Double vaccinated with Pfizer today.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7116 on: October 02, 2021, 12:26:46 AM »

Barf Kavanaugh likely has a pre-existing  condition: his liver.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7117 on: October 02, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »

Australia to End Travel Ban in Pivot to Living With Covid-19

Australia plans to start reopening its international border in November, ending one of the world’s strictest pandemic-era travel bans as authorities pivot from trying to suppress Covid-19 to living with it.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said travel restrictions would be dropped for fully vaccinated Australian citizens and permanent residents, who would be able to leave and return to the country without seeking permission as is required now. They will also be allowed to quarantine at home for seven days, while current rules require returning travelers to pay thousands of dollars to quarantine at government-run hotels or camps for two weeks.

Travel restrictions for international students, skilled migrants and eventually tourists would be eased later. Mr. Morrison said that could happen next year, possibly sooner, for some of those groups.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #7118 on: October 02, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »

Ron LifeSantis
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7119 on: October 02, 2021, 12:41:50 PM »

Lockdowns have never been effective except in slightly slowing down the case rate during the worst of the early crisis. Any success they had abroad was a combo of geographic isolation and hardcore authoritarian tactics backed up by legal force.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #7120 on: October 02, 2021, 12:43:06 PM »

we decided to wreck the economy and reengineered society to make it even worse than it was before to protect a bunch of worthless old boomers who would have gone home to their father satan within 5 or 10 years without covid. disgusting.
compucomp

« Reply #7121 on: October 02, 2021, 01:19:47 PM »

This is abusing Simpson's paradox, total deaths per 100k is 257 in FL and 176 in CA. When the population is more elderly like FL, the governor really should be taking more measures to protect them rather than doing all he can to protect COVID.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7122 on: October 02, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »

Ron LifeSantis

Where do these demented nutjobs get this stuff? There are literally no lockdowns in California and in fact through most of the state, authorities are refusing to enforce what few measures exist.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7123 on: October 02, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »

Ron LifeSantis

Where do these demented nutjobs get this stuff? There are literally no lockdowns in California and in fact through most of the state, authorities are refusing to enforce what few measures exist.

Whatever Republicans want to believe is true to them, and they will try to make that true for others too, to a depressingly successful degree at times.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7124 on: October 02, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »

Ron LifeSantis

Then why was there a spike? Spikes ordinarily come down with no prompting.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 289 290 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies