COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:11:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 288 289 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 526260 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7075 on: September 27, 2021, 12:16:51 PM »

I don't even need a booster shot whom cares I feel fine
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7076 on: September 27, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »

I don't even need a booster shot whom cares I feel fine

Olawakandi is Michael Stipe confirmed?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7077 on: September 27, 2021, 07:04:37 PM »

Is it right that COVID-19 is easily identified in an autopsy?

I am getting a booster and at the first chance a flu shot so that I do not get a respiratory infection that can be confused with COVID-19. There are just too many fools in the county in which I live.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7078 on: September 27, 2021, 10:38:30 PM »

Infection rate is now dropping in 49 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico. The only state where it's increasing is Wisconsin.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7079 on: September 27, 2021, 10:58:19 PM »

Yes things are looking good, in that cases are rapidly dropping and deaths are probably dropping as well, probably need one more week to know for sure.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7080 on: September 27, 2021, 11:01:20 PM »

I just don't see how we will ever have another bad surge.

Delta basically infected most people who were unvaccinated.

90% of americans have either natural or vaccine antibodies.

I just don't see the math working out for another surge.

maybe a surge of breakthrough, mild cases.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7081 on: September 27, 2021, 11:04:06 PM »

There would probably have to be a strain which is very resistant to the vaccines, which is unlikely.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7082 on: September 28, 2021, 12:01:46 AM »

If this is all true, then will we perhaps see mask mandates finally going away?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7083 on: September 28, 2021, 12:09:54 AM »

Let’s hope.
However, don’t expect things will be smooth from here on out. There still is a huge amount of the World unvaccinated where the virus is spreading. A vaccine resistant mutation in this population is not out of question. It’s not inevitable, but it is a possibility we should mentally and fiscally prepare for.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #7084 on: September 28, 2021, 12:13:27 AM »

So, what should we call this thread once cases drop off dramatically? “Return of the Vaccines?”
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7085 on: September 28, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »

If this is all true, then will we perhaps see mask mandates finally going away?

My guess is around the springtime, just after the two year anniversary of everything shutting down. They're not gonna remove the mandates in the winter, even if (when) cases continue to drop.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7086 on: September 28, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »

The only herd immunity that we will ever have will result from people joining the herd into pharmacies and inoculation sites to get the vaccine.

Inoculated people are getting frustrated with people not inoculated. It's much like attitudes toward reckless sexuality when HIV/AIDS was a death sentence. To be sure, the analogy is far from perfect, but it has some parallel. "You have had sex with fifty partners" in the early 1980's and "you did not get inoculated" today test the limits of sympathy for the deceased or doomed victim. Both are harsh judgments, but taking risks with dangerous and lethal infections that do lasting harm if they do not kill outright needs powerful justification. The sex drive and rejection of objective science are not excuses for self-destructive behavior.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7087 on: September 28, 2021, 07:36:49 AM »

Concerns about Delta transmission, overburdened hospitals and Covid-19 deaths drove recent rise in vaccinations, poll says

A new Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) poll found that the highly transmissible Delta variant, overburdened hospitals and knowing someone who has died or become seriously ill from Covid-19 drove recent increases in vaccination.

Among those vaccinated since June 1, 39% said they were motivated by transmission of the Delta variant, 38% by the growing burden of Covid-19 on hospitals and 36% by knowing someone who became seriously ill or died.

Thirty-five percent said a major reason was to participate in activities where vaccinations are required, such as traveling.

Nineteen percent said it was because it was mandated by their employer.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28/health/kff-vaccine-monitor-september/index.html
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7088 on: September 28, 2021, 07:41:59 AM »

I hope so, but I would be careful assuming this before we get through the winter.  Alaska currently has the worst outbreak in the country by almost a factor of 2 and it has Midwest in November/Northeast in December weather right now.  They are also only slightly below the national average in vaccination.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7089 on: September 28, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »

I hope so, but I would be careful assuming this before we get through the winter.  Alaska currently has the worst outbreak in the country by almost a factor of 2 and it has Midwest in November/Northeast in December weather right now.  They are also only slightly below the national average in vaccination.

Have you read something that documents mass outbreaks among those who have had covid previously and/or been vaccinated? How many are left who have had neither? Does anyone know? I want the data and I want it now Exclamation point (red)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7090 on: September 28, 2021, 08:06:57 AM »

The problem is that immunity doesn't appear to last forever. If it did, we could achieve herd immunity and everyone would just either get infected one time or else get vaccinated, and then we would be done with it forever. But immunity decreases over time. So people who have been previously infected will over time become infected again. And likewise with many people who are vaccinated (unless booster shots can solve that problem - we'll have to wait to find out the answer to that one).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7091 on: September 28, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »

The problem is that immunity doesn't appear to last forever. If it did, we could achieve herd immunity and everyone would just either get infected one time or else get vaccinated, and then we would be done with it forever. But immunity decreases over time. So people who have been previously infected will over time become infected again. And likewise with many people who are vaccinated (unless booster shots can solve that problem - we'll have to wait to find out the answer to that one).

Yes, it looks more and more like it will be a long, gradual decline into a mild illness rather than single threshold where it stops spreading and we declare victory.

The big remaining question is the holiday season in the colder states.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7092 on: September 28, 2021, 08:33:33 AM »

Is it right that COVID-19 is easily identified in an autopsy?

I am getting a booster and at the first chance a flu shot so that I do not get a respiratory infection that can be confused with COVID-19. There are just too many fools in the county in which I live.

It is actually not necessarily a good idea to get your flu shot ASAP. Of course, you should get a flu shot (everyone should), but the question is when. Flu vaccines have diminishing efficacy with time similar to e.g. the Pfizer COVID vaccine. So ideally you should try to get your flu shot a bit before flu season hits its stride, but not too much before, that way you will have the strongest protection during the peak of the flu season.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7093 on: September 28, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »

Have you read something that documents mass outbreaks among those who have had covid previously and/or been vaccinated? How many are left who have had neither? Does anyone know? I want the data and I want it now Exclamation point (red)

There have been some mass outbreaks among heavily vaccinated populations. Here is a study about an outbreak in a prison, which was ~80% vaccinated. Overall, 93% of unvaccinated prisoners were infected, and 70% of vaccinated prisoners. Moderna was more protective than Pfizer, but even with Moderna 54% got infected, whereas 85% of Pfizer vaccinated prisoners were infected.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7038e3.htm

So you can pretty clearly see the issue with waning immunity and reinfections from that.

Also... another thing I think probably a lot of people are not considering/understanding is that evolution of a new variant after Delta is not just a question of if the variant is vaccine resistant. It is also a question of whether it is DELTA ANTIBODY resistant. Different variants produce different antibodies upon infection, and someone who has been infected with Delta may be immune to re-infection with Delta specifically but not immune to re-infection with a different variant. Incidentally, that is part of the reason why we don't have a Delta-specific vaccine now and are still using the old vaccines, it is because if they made a Delta specific vaccine it would be less protective against other variants, since most other variants are more closely related to the original COVID strain than to Delta.

So, if hypothetically, the entire population were infected with Delta and became immune to that (and if that were permanent immunity), then what we would expect to probably happen would be for another variant that doesn't get defeated (or not as well/easily) by Delta antibodies to evolve. We should certainly worry about the possibility of vaccine resistant variants, but that is not the whole story, and we could have another wave hypothetically of some other variant through the unvaccinated population even if that other variant is not vaccine resistant at all.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7094 on: September 28, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »

There, perhaps, will be a mini-waves during fall/winter, but by spring it's likely over. Covid will become another [though, perhaps, more somewhat more dangerous] seasonal flu/cold. BIG Pharma works as well on antiviral drugs to treat [breakthrough] Covid.

Financial Times - Antiviral pill: How close are we to a drug to treat Covid?
Scientists seek breakthrough in effort to ease virus symptoms and speed up recovery times

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7095 on: September 28, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »

There have been some mass outbreaks among heavily vaccinated populations. Here is a study about an outbreak in a prison, which was ~80% vaccinated. Overall, 93% of unvaccinated prisoners were infected, and 70% of vaccinated prisoners. Moderna was more protective than Pfizer, but even with Moderna 54% got infected, whereas 85% of Pfizer vaccinated prisoners were infected.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7038e3.htm

So you can pretty clearly see the issue with waning immunity and reinfections from that.

Also... another thing I think probably a lot of people are not considering/understanding is that evolution of a new variant after Delta is not just a question of if the variant is vaccine resistant. It is also a question of whether it is DELTA ANTIBODY resistant. Different variants produce different antibodies upon infection, and someone who has been infected with Delta may be immune to re-infection with Delta specifically but not immune to re-infection with a different variant. Incidentally, that is part of the reason why we don't have a Delta-specific vaccine now and are still using the old vaccines, it is because if they made a Delta specific vaccine it would be less protective against other variants, since most other variants are more closely related to the original COVID strain than to Delta.

So, if hypothetically, the entire population were infected with Delta and became immune to that (and if that were permanent immunity), then what we would expect to probably happen would be for another variant that doesn't get defeated (or not as well/easily) by Delta antibodies to evolve. We should certainly worry about the possibility of vaccine resistant variants, but that is not the whole story, and we could have another wave hypothetically of some other variant through the unvaccinated population even if that other variant is not vaccine resistant at all.

Thank you. In scrolling the article, I don't see anything about how mild the symptoms were for the vaccinated.

I hope it is wrong that unless we send the unvaccinated to Devil's Island, this will go forever until covid degrades to an ordinary flu because it is best for a virus to not kill its host, but I suspect my hope is unrealistic. And because the unvaccinated are the hosts for new variants, one of which might be really bad news, I am basically a jack booted thug when it comes to the unvaccinated, and willing to take quite Draconian action, i.e., the way NYS is now firing unvaccinated health care workers. It's about time.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7096 on: September 28, 2021, 04:43:35 PM »

Fear of Delta Variant Pushes Americans to Get Vaccinated, Study Finds

The Delta variant of the coronavirus was the leading reason that people decided to get vaccinated against Covid-19 this summer and why most say they will get boosters when eligible, according to the latest monthly survey on vaccine attitudes by the Kaiser Family Foundation, released on Tuesday morning. But the survey indicated that nearly three-quarters of unvaccinated Americans view boosters very differently, saying that the need for them shows that the vaccines are not working.

That divide suggests that while it may be relatively easy to persuade vaccinated people to line up for an additional shot, the need for boosters may complicate public health officials’ efforts to persuade the remaining unvaccinated people to get their initial one.

Another takeaway from the Kaiser Family Foundation survey: For all the carrots dangled to induce hesitant people to get Covid shots — cash, doughnuts, racetrack privileges — more credit for the recent rise in vaccination goes to the stick. Almost 40 percent of newly inoculated people said that they had sought the vaccines because of the increase in Covid cases, and more than a third said that they had become alarmed by overcrowding in local hospitals and rising death rates.

Emphasis mine.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7097 on: September 29, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »

Sad, but correct.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7098 on: September 29, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »

Sad, but correct.

That's only fair.

Refusing to get vaccinated isn't in the same category as LGBT rights, reproductive freedom, interracial marriage, or religious identity.

The firing is for cause. Good luck in getting hired elsewhere! 
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7099 on: September 29, 2021, 09:30:49 PM »

Infection rate is now dropping in 49 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico. The only state where it's increasing is Wisconsin.

Wisconsin appears it's also peaked now and has been going down for a few days.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 288 289 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies